A couple of questions about Vimeo

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by racin06, Jan 8, 2014.

1. racin06

racin06 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    Vimeo says that videos should be encoded to 24, 25 or 30 FPS. Vimeo also says that if videos are originally shot at 60 FPS they need to be encoded back to 30 FPS prior to upload. I primarily shoot MP4 1080P @ 60 FPS. My question is this...is there any reason or advantage to continue to record at 60 FPS or should I just record at 30 FPS?

2. Natureman

Natureman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    You can still shoot 60p as I do but put it on a 30p timeline which will just "throw away" the extra frames when playing or upon export. That way you will be able to save the source material which was shot at 60p. I shoot 60p all the time so I can "slow down" a clip for slow motion. In my NLE I just conform the clips speed to 30p and place it on the timeline which gives excellent slow-mo. If you don't do any slow mo then shoot 30p which will give you more recording time on your camera card.

3. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Shooting at 60 fps gives you the option to render in slow motion with a much smoother look. You can essentially run the video at half-speed and still have 30 fps smoothness, or even slower with little or no noticeable choppiness. If you'll never be slowing down the action during editing, I don't think there's any advantage to recording 60 fps over 30.

4. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Ha! Natureman just beat me to the punch!