A couple of macro questions regarding Tamron SP 90mm f2.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Frunch, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    I am a complete noob as far as macro photography(and a photography noob in general, only been shooting about 6-7 months now). After doing some research here, I've decided to shop around for a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro lens...anyway, I've got a couple questions I'm hoping someone could help me with:

I see Tamron also offers a 1:1 extension tube specifically for this lens--is that my only choice or can I adapt other brand tubes?

Another question: if this lens comes with a Nikon mount for instance, would I just get the appropriate Nikon to :43: adapter to fit it to my E-PL2?

Any other suggestions where I can find more good info regarding macro photography in general? (lenses, techniques, equipment)

Thanks! :smile:
    Trevor

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The extension tube is simply a piece of metal. Any extension tube will work. However, depending on the length of the extension tube, you will get different magnifications. If the Tamron lens goes to 1:2 without extension tube, then it should require a 90mm long extension tube to go to 1:1. Here is a good thread where the math is discussed:
    Extension Tube Math? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Depends on the tube. My Tokina 90/2.5 comes with a 1:1 tube, and it has glass in it, so it's different than simply an extension tube.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If it has corrective glass in it, then by definition it's a teleconverter, not an extension tube. I actually came back here to say though, I read my link above, and it brings up a good point that I glossed over. The Tamron lens, along with most other macro lenses, is a telephoto lens, so the math breaks down. The Tamron lens only needs a 43mm extension tube to reach 1:1.

5. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Actually it's called a macro extender for macro lenses, not a teleconverter. Same principle, different application. If Tamron offers a 1:1 'extension tube' specifically for this lens, it would be interesting to know if it has glass in it. The OP is new to this terminology, so he/she may not know the difference.

6. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks for all the input!

I find the more research I'm doing on macro lenses the more choices I'm finding that sound good.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for macro lenses?

I'm starting to look at the Kiron 105mm f2.8, the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5, and the Tokina 90mm f2.5 AT-X.

Any specific one of those worth going after? Again, as a noob I probably would be happy with any of those lenses. I figured I'd ask anyway though!

Thanks again for all your help!

Trevor

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    From my piqued interest, it seems that the extension tube for this lens has a model number of 18F. Glassless, although many people just use the lens with the 01F, which is a 2x teleconverter. I've owned this lens for years, and never really had the urge to go any smaller with it, so OP, thanks for asking! Actually, thanks for nothing, because that's just going to be more gear that I'll be keeping my eye out for at camera shops :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  8. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The Vivitar Series 1 and Tokina 90 are identical, and legendary. I have the Tokina, and it's an awesome macro lens. When I don't shoot using enlarging lenses I use the Tokina.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    The Tamron 90mm is an impressive lens. I had one on the OM film cameras and was wonderful. Wish I still had it. :sad010:

10. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    Regarding extension tube, in this case you have three options:

1. 18F tube between the lens and adaptall-Nikon adapter;
    2. Nikon tube between the adaptall-Nikon adapter & Nikon-m43 adapter;
    3. m43 tube between Nikon-m43 adapter and m43 camera.

They should function just the same.

11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'm sorry to say that this is not true. You need an extension tube of 45mm to go to 1:1 when the Tamron itself goes to 1:2.

Reason: the total extension needed to go to 1:1 is 90mm. When the Tamron lens focusses to 1:2 it provides already an extension of 45mm by itself, so the extra extension to be provided by the tube is the remaining 45mm.

12. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

They are all worth going after, together with the Tamron 90mm and the Sigma 90mm (older) and 105mm (more recent).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
  14. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Yes, that should work fine. But beware, the Kiron 105mm has a cult following and those lenses are quite expensive in popular mounts such as Nikon AI.

You can usually save money by buying the lens in a less popular mount such as Canon FD or Minolta MD together with a suitable adapter. Look also for the "Lester Dine" 105mm lens which is a Kiron lens under a different name. The optics are identical.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Tamron extension tube goes between the lens and the Adaptall mount. You can use any extension tube that matches the Adaptall mount. As some one pointed out you need 45mm of extension to get from 1:2 to 1:1.

As far as getting it onto a m4/3 body. You can get an a adapter for whatever mount is on the lens or there are Adaptall to m4/3 adapters available.

Fred

16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have one... shoot with it often. It has optics and is specifically designed for the 90mm f/2.5 to achieve 1:1 magnification. I don't believe it is a regular teleconverter as the part number/model number for Tamron's teleconverters are different.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the adaptall version of the 90mm f/2.5. There is also an AF Tamron 90mm macro that is currently sold that is 1:1 (nothing else necessary).