A couple of fly images: any good?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by relic, Mar 10, 2016.

1. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    I would very much appreciate critical feedback (what is wrong or how do I improve my images?) Many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's a very nice macro shot and one I would have been proud to have taken. Nice and sharp across most of the subject and nice lighting.

However - you said "a couple" - where's the other one? We demand to know ;)
  3. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Paul, thank you very much for your kind comment. I am glad you thought it was good. I was wondering if the fact that the left wing was out of focus was a problem for a macro image of this kind. It was on the outside of a window, and I tried to take the picture before it flew away.
    My apologies for the missing second image: I don't know why it doesn't show. Here it is. In both images the details of the compound eyes are not visible, and I was wondering if they would be too small to show even at the magnification of the first image? Thank you again for the feedback.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    My feedback would be that as with most photography, composition, framing and lighting are what attracts a viewer as opposed to technical details

Macro is really hard... not sure what lens you are using... but it will always be frustrating

5. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Thank you very much for your feedback, and especially for the links. I do lack the 'eye' and I hope that by viewing your images repeatedly I may begin to develop a rudimentary one.