1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A couple of e-m5 ii questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TonyZhang, Apr 30, 2015.

1. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hi all,
    I've had my e-m5 ii for a few weeks now, and I'm loving it for the most part, a big step up from my g6. However there are a few things with regards to usability and build quality which I have questions.

1. I have the silver version, and the evf hump has gotten a few small scratches on it, they're small, but deep enough for me to be able to see the darker material underneath the silver coating. Does anybody else have an experience with the material on the silver omds getting scratched easily? I know this is purely cosmetic and I probably won't care in a few weeks, but as of right now it's a bit disappointing.

2. There is a continuous gap/line underneath the Olympus logo, I assume that this is the gap between the top plate and the main body. To the left and right of the evf hump this line goes slightly diagonal, down to the "OM-D" logo on the left, and next to the pc sync socket on the right. Is it just my model, or is the opening of this gap noticeably larger on the left side than on the right? It doesn't affect the usability or feel at all, but I'm a little bit concerned about durability and weather sealing of the camera in the long run.

Now some questions about use and function,

1. Does anybody know how to use back button autofocus/focus lock on the em5ii, I had it set to one of the fn buttons on my g6 and it worked perfectly, I can't seem to figure out how to set a fn button to purely lock the focus and not let go after a shot.

2. Why do many of the functions buttons set in stills mode(such as return af point to home, magnify) become useless for video, I understand that some of them aren't applicable to video but it seems impossible to have a set of custom functions in movie mode, and then a separate lot for stills mode. This seems like an unnecessary compromise that could be fixed with a firmware update.

3. Does anybody know whether it's possible to move the position of the focus magnification box with the front and rear dials while using the evf? I find it a bit cumbersome to use the up/down/left/right buttons and it would be really good to be able to move the magnification box quickly while using the evf with the front and rear dials like how you can with the front and rear dials, as focusing and then recomposing with long lenses and a shallow depth of field isn't always the best option.

4. You can change the direction of the front/rear dials for many functions, but could you reverse the direction of these dials for changing the focus point? I have set the fn1 button to the select focus point function, and then I use the front/rear dial to toggle the focus points. The front dial moves the af point left and right. The rear dial moves it up and down, but in what I find to be a counterintuitive direction, going down when I turn it left, and up when I turn it right. I thought I would get used to it, but after a few weeks I still find it cumbersome.

Apologies for rambling on, I'm not sure if anybody will be bothered reading through the whole thing. Again, I realise these are just small gripes, but if anybody could answer any of these questions, it would be of great help.

Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

2. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    Not sure if this applies to the E-M5 II, but on the E-M1, I found this little tidbit which might help:

NOTE II: 10/02/15 - Suggestion and recommendation from Chris Coleman (CANADA) - I recently switched from Canon to the Oly M43 format with an OMD E-M1. I had grown to like using back-button focus on the Canon, but when I tried to set it up on the OMD, despite all the stuff on the web about it, I just couldn't get it to work by switching the default settings for AEL/AFL to: S3/C2/M3. as noted by Karl Gundwald (and many others on the web) on p.18 of your very useful .pdf document "How to setup, configure and customise your OM-D E-M1". However, NO-ONE mentions that, before these function settings will work, it is essential to ensure that the AEL/AFL button itself is set to - AEL/AFL!! There are 26 other settings listed for this button, so it's pretty easy for it to get shifted elsewhere. To do this, go to [Menu/Cogs/B (Button/dial/lever)/Button function/AEL-AFL function: set to AEL/AFL]. This may be blindingly obvious to everyone else, but - for whatever reason - my setting was one of the other 26, and I have spent considerable time, and more than a little frustration, in getting the back-button focus capability I wanted! I hope someone else may find this useful.
    Source: http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html#SECTION4 (See 4a (iii) AEL/AFL)

3. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    That seems to work, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the focus to unlock. On my Panasonic g6, when I used the back button focus, the af box turned green and stayed green until I pressed the back button focus again, and I could use the normal half shutter button. I regularly switch between the two so it wouldn't be very practical to completely lose the half shutter button focus. Also, in this mode, after I press the ael/afl button, it focuses, but the box is only green for a moment, the focus is still locked afterwards though right?

4. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    I would assume that the focus is locked until you press the button again to refocus, but that's just logic speaking, not experience. I've tried this method (on both the Canon 6D and the E-M1) but never stuck with it long enough to form an opinion on which I like better so I don't have much working experience.

5. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Yes that's how it appears to be working. The problem is, I can't find a way in which I can easily release the focus and go back to using the half shutter press to focus. It seems that you just end up having to use the back button focus in all situations.

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes I had he same thing happen to the very top points of the pentaprism. In my case it was probably just from being in a bag. I would say the silver paint is pretty thin. I too was disappointed for a few days.

My joint is smaller than yours both sides, but also a tad wider on the one side that you call left.

7. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    I see, the gaps do appear pretty big in those pictures. Would you consider it an issue? I live in New Zealand but purchased the camera in Hong Kong, where my warranty is so I'm very reluctant to take it back. If there's no potential long term repercussions then I just won't worry about it. I'm probably overreacting.

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I very much doubt it is an issue. In fact it may be the weatherproofing o-rings that are holding the body parts apart. You would rather have that than the opposite, where the body parts come into contact before the o-rings are fully snug.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    One option is to configure one of the MySets for back-button focus. Then you can assign the MySet to the mode dial and switch mode from there.

Right now there is a issue about this (at least on previous models) where function buttons are not always reassigned when switching to another MySet using the mode dial. It works fine if you select another MySet from the Shooting menu. I wrote to Olympus a couple of weeks ago about this and I got a very kind and concrete response where they confirmed the problem and are looking into it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    1. I've only had mine for 3 days so far and I bought mine in black which seems to have the same paint/finish as my black E-M1. The E-M1 black paint is mint after one year and I expect the E-M5 II to be the same.

2. I just checked mine and on mine, the gap is tight and consistent on both sides.

---------------

1. Gear>>>Button/Dial/Lever>>>Button Function>>>Fn1>>>AEL/AFL
    Then...
    Gear>>>AF/MF>>>AEL/AFL>>>S-AF>>>Mode 3

2. I don't do video but I assume it's to give the user more precise and unique mode options for stills vs video.

3. Not that I know of. I assume the dials remain as is so that you can adjust for exposure parameters or whatever you have them set up for so that you can make changes while in magnified view.

4. Not that I know of. For me, the direction makes sense but that doesn't mean it suits all photographers.

12. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thanks everybody, very helpful. I guess I'm very fussy, there are a few minor annoyances with this camera. Another one that frustrates me is the inability to shift the focus point in video mode while recording with the evf.