A counterintuitive solution to the lack of a small WR lens for the OMD system

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jock Elliott, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    If you ascribe to the philosophy of “carry a camera everywhere and see what happens,” then you naturally want a camera that is comfortable to carry and could withstand being caught in a rain storm.

To sling a camera conveniently by your side, the limiting factor becomes the depth to which the camera/lens combo projects from your side. For example, total depth of the OMD EM5II plus the 17mm f/1.8 is 74mm or 2.9 inches. I experimented with this setup using my totally classless cross body slider strap -- Totally classless cross-body slider camera strap -- and found the results acceptable in terms of carrying the camera nestled between my arm and my hip, but the 17mm is not weather resistant.

On this thread -- Are any of the smaller M43 lenses weather resistant? -- we were exploring the options for a small weather resistant lens that could be mounted on a weather resistant OMD body, and it turns out there aren’t any. In addition, none of the competing systems really offer a really small solution, and, to top it off, none of the “rugged” cameras offer a viewfinder. So, if you want a really convenient-to-carry weather resistant camera that has a viewfinder (so you can see to compose the shot when the backscreen is difficult to view), you are plumb out of luck, apparently.

But the weather resistance of an OMD WR body with WR lens is impressive and highly appealing; check out this posting: How Weatherproof Are Olympus Cameras? Further, Olympus offers a couple of weather resistant zoom lenses that I really like, the 12-50 (which is internally zooming) and the 14-150. So is there another way to solve the problem?

The total depth of the OMD EM5 II with either the 12-50 or the 14-150 mounted is 121mm or 4.76 inches . . . way too big. But the total height of the OMD EM5 II is just 85mm or 3.3 inches, just a wee bit bigger than the total thickness of the OMD EM5 II plus the 17mm (2.9 inches).

If you hang the OMD EM5 II/12-50 combo from your shoulder or cross-body sling it between your hip and arm, the lens keeps popping up, projecting away from your body, getting in the way and possibly banging into things. That’s because the strap lugs are mounted high on the camera body. Research into ways to cause the camera to hang with the lens straight down brought up this thread: Way too many people make the same dangerous mistake with fancy cameras It points out that the pros hang their DSLRs from their shoulders with the prism pointed toward their bodies so that the lens hangs straight down and doesn’t bang into things.

So I tried cross body slinging the OMD EM5 II/12-50 combo with the “prism” toward my body, and it works just fine. The lens hangs straight down and doesn’t get in the way, and the height of the camera body isn’t bothersome between my hip and arm. The only weirdness is that when you pull the camera to your face, you must rotate it, and the camera strap with cross itself somewhere in the vicinity of your chin. (If you are blessed with bigger deltoid muscles and can hang the strap on your shoulder and it won’t slide off, this should be less of a problem.)

So there you have it: there are no small WR lenses for OMD cameras, but until a better solution comes along, you can work-around with your WR zoom and hanging your camera with the “prism” against your body.

XP90 cross body sling 005.JPG

In the meantime, I have emailed Olympus and asked “Where are the weather resistant small prime lenses?”

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  2. HI Jock... I toted my D700 around with an Op/Tech strap positioned the way the instructions said they should be (or so I thought) and had both clips attached to the camera lugs. Hmmm, thinking back it was actually the camera shop guy who hooked it up for me.

What a nuisance! Every time I brought the camera up to shoot I had to move the strap away from the back of the camera... every time! The only way it worked was if I undid one of the clips but then it really felt like the camera was going to drop... very flimsy.

So when I saw your description of the prism in setup I thought... wouldn't the strap be a nuisance every time you shot?

3. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well, I don't carry my Oly with me everywhere I go, but I do a lot of walking with a camera in the woods and in the wetlands . I don't much care about weather resistance. I do have the DSLR 14-54 which is WR, but the way I look at it, a simple plastic bag is probably every bit as good as built in WR, and doesn't cost extra.

30700582143_9035c120d4_c.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    I don't use the backscreen at all, except to chimp or change settings, and as I mentioned, when I bring the camera to my eye, the strap crosses itself below the camera, roughly in the vicinity of my chin. So far, it is not a nuisance.

Cheers, Jock

5. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2016
    Bummin' around SoCal
    Slinging this way is is one reason I enjoy using the "prism"-less PEN bodies. :D

(No, no weather resistance...)

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    A weather sealed 20mm ver. III would be awesome with a new fast focus mechanism. Make it happen Panasonic!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I posted this semi-solution a while back, which may possibly be of interest. It's not elegant, but it does at least work, in the sense that it keeps the gear dry. :)

A possible option, anyway, while waiting for those weather-sealed compact primes to materialize. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jock Elliott

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Alex,

That's a neat solution and would work for those folks who have those lovely, not-weather-resistant Pen F bodies.

It's also a neat bit of writing, too . . . you concisely state the problem and then provide the solution. I love the injunction: Anything with a "50" in its name will not fit.

Well done!

Cheers, Jock