A conversation about the weather-sealing of Olympus products

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Rookie
Awesome. I went with Oly because of their superb weather sealing. On one or two dives, I've found that I (user error of course) assembled my waterproof housing incorrectly and there was a small puddle inside. The EM5ii and 60mm macro were absolutely fine. There's some salt build up now but it hasn't been an issue.

It's funny that this subject came up because just the other day I took a peak inside my 12-40mm f/2.8 pro. So dusty inside considering it's weather sealed. It still takes fantastic photos though; just a fun observation.

Attachments

Real Name
Ovidiu
I am not making any claims of the following content, they are made by Imaging Resources and it is their hard work that I am sharing here for people to read and view:#

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...ather-seal-a-camera-olympus-behind-the-scenes

From my own experience with Olympus products, I am extremely impressed and happy with the weather resistance of their cameras and lenses. I have owned:
*Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I,
*Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II,
*Olympus M.Zuiko 14-150mm f 4-5.6,
*Olympus Zuiko 14-54mm f 2.8-3.5 Mark I,
*Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm f 2.8-3.5 Mark I.
... for the past 4 years, I have used them in pretty bad conditions, very heavy rain and winds, occasional mud splashes (up on Dartmoor), and snow (The Beast from The East storm we had in UK), with no damage to any of the cameras or lenses. I have the utmost confidence and trust in any Olympus product that has been tested and approved for Weather Resistance and it is one of the main reasons why I, very recently, added an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III with the 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro and 7-14mm f 2.8 Pro to my gear.
I had seriously considered Fujifilm X-T4, Sony A7 III, and Nikon Z6 as alternatives BUT the portability, price (overall, not just one particular product) and weather resistance has convinced me to continue my trust in Olympus.
Addendum: I can also attest to Panasonic Leica DG-Elmarit 50-200mm f 2.8-4 resilience to bad weather in combination with E-M5 Mark II, E-M1 Mark I and E-M1 Mark III as well. This little (for its class) lens is very resilient to rain and snow and I have not seen any dust build-up in it for the past 10 months. Until Olympus 150-400mm f 4.5 Pro or the *yet to be announced or defined specifically* Olympus 50(75?) to 200 (250?)mm Pro shows up I will keep the little Panny Leica and quite possibly add the Panasonic's TC 1.4 for the extra reach in the meantime.

And as my "luck" (this is generally the type of luck I get) had it the first time I got out with my new camera for the first time, the typical, English weather gracefully poured rain so thick that even the rain jacket got saturated with water but the camera and the 12-40mm f 2.8 was happily clicking away with no bothersome at all.

Here are some of the shots I got over the years through bad weather thanks to Olympus attention to detail and great design of their system:
Heavy rain:

Wolfy - 070619 - Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I - 10443.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wolfy - 070619 - Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I - 10492.JPG

W0lfy - 112418 - Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I - 1197.JPG

Heavy snowing (sub-zero Celcius):
W0lfy - 020119 - Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I - 4339.JPG

OLY00955.JPG

OLY00921.JPG

Mud (getting low and dirty that is :p ):
Wolfy - 082918 - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II - 8995.JPG

Wolfy - 082918 - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II - 8877-Pano.JPG

Wolfy - 081918 - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II - 7797-Pano.JPG

Wind, fog and very dense drizzles:
Wolfy - 082918 - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II - 8538.JPG

W0lfy - 011919 - Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I - 2297.JPG

Wolfy - 081918 - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II - 7759.JPG

It doesn't matter what type of photography you are doing, outdoors of course, be it wildlife, street photography, landscape, macro, sports, weather sealing can benefit anyone who wants to make pictures and is not rain skittish (of course).
Do you have any weather resistants or bad weather stories/experiences you would like to share, maybe some of your favorite pictures in such conditions that you might want to share?

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Last edited:
Real Name
Ovidiu
I must say those pictures are absolutely gorgeous ... I should really try harder on the macro side of photography. Great point about the flashes, I have the Olympus MAL-1 macro lights arms for the original E-M1 one even though they are not as useful as I thought.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Do you have any weather resistants or bad weather stories/experiences you would like to share, maybe some of your favorite pictures in such conditions that you might want to share?
I bought my first m43 kit in 2014 for an overseas holiday - an E-M5.1 and 12-40.

We eventually found ourselves on top of Mt Pilatus in Switzerland - sunny but cold - when the weather changed suddenly. I only had a cheap poncho bought from the visitors' centre and tucked the camera underneath. There were a few others on the tour with entry level DSLRs and they all ducked for cover.

I stood there in the rain pondering - "I probably won't come back here again and the gear is weather-sealed but it's only a couple of months old" - and so on...
After a couple of minutes of analysis-paralysis, I just started taking photos.

The rain didn't deter the helicopter crew...

Work was being done on the hotel and there was a base camp halfway up the mountain with supplies and a base for the heli. Expensive way to do renovations.

Later back on the coach, I pulled out the camera and started shaking water out of the 12-40. One of the DSLR users was sitting close by and said "That's a shame - it was a nice looking camera". Trying to sound much more confident than I felt, I explained that it was weather-sealed.

Six years later, it still works fine so I guess I shouldn't have worried.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Here's more examples of Olympus weather-sealing. EM1 with ZD 50-200 SWD in a rainstorm. Camera came through fine. I was soaked.

Those are raindrops. :)

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Finally had a chance to watch that video and it basically confirms everything I have said about Olympus and the main reason I switched from Canon. The best part was the beginning when he said that Olympus cameras can withstand 5-10x what he normally uses in his weather testing. That right there is a huge testament to what the Olympus cameras/lenses can withstand, well that and my own personal torture testing.

27493678059_2882034371_k.jpg
EM1 w/ 300mm f4.0 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

38606732104_91bb8daaa3_k.jpg
Ascend H12 001 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

29353791902_25a7f4d827_k.jpg
EM1 w/ Bower 7.5mm Fisheye by Phocal Art, on Flickr

28524462934_7626ba408c_k.jpg
EM1 w/ ZD 50-200 SWD by Phocal Art, on Flickr

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24399326631_80a2f18dbb_k.jpg
Rain Storm on 19 January 2016 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I EM1's have put up with that type of weather and use (not to mention all the drops into the swamp) for 6 years and are still going strong. But I will admit that they are getting long in the tooth and pretty beat up so over the next two months I will be replacing them with mk2's. I have definitely gotten my use from these cameras and can honestly say that there is no way my 1D or 7D could have stood up to the shit I have put these cameras through. In the 18 months prior to switching I ruined two 1D's and a 500/4 due to water damage, when my insurance went way up after the last claim (that one was the camera and lens claim) I started looking. My search led me to Olympus and Pentax, this was when the EM1 had just come out and the ability to use the 4/3 lenses sealed the deal and here I am making life tough for the moderators.

You know what the sad part is? Even with that video from a very reputable camera testing company those that say weather sealing doesn't work will still not change their mind. Oh well. They can continue to sit in awe at my images during terrible weather and wish they could capture them too.

Peace out,

Phocal

Ok, I suck and putting video into post.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While I am one to admit I don't fully trust sealing, I just purchased the EM1.3 for it's sealing. Late last year I was in Scotland and virtually never got my Panasonic G85 out for the whole trip because of the rain.
That trip convinced me that I needed to put my biases aside and get a camera that I could actually use when I needed it.

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it. :coffee-30:
Luckily for basic use the SCP is all I need

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Oh dear ... I didn't see the post (just woke up and I'm still half asleep). Well sorry about the double post. Maybe delete mine then?
Naa better to delete my thread in that case, this thread is way better and more interesting with the stories and pictures 👍

Last edited:
Real Name
Ovidiu
I EM1's have put up with that type of weather and use (not to mention all the drops into the swamp) for 6 years and are still going strong. But I will admit that they are getting long in the tooth and pretty beat up so over the next two months I will be replacing them with mk2's. I have definitely gotten my use from these cameras and can honestly say that there is no way my 1D or 7D could have stood up to the shit I have put these cameras through. In the 18 months prior to switching I ruined two 1D's and a 500/4 due to water damage, when my insurance went way up after the last claim (that one was the camera and lens claim) I started looking. My search led me to Olympus and Pentax, this was when the EM1 had just come out and the ability to use the 4/3 lenses sealed the deal and here I am making life tough for the moderators.

You know what the sad part is? Even with that video from a very reputable camera testing company those that say weather sealing doesn't work will still not change their mind. Oh well. They can continue to sit in awe at my images during terrible weather and wish they could capture them too.

Peace out,

Phocal
Oh dear Phocal ... what you do to your gear makes even wife beaters blush in shame by comparison :p (I'm really hoping I didn't offend anyone with this before I'm being dragged to jail by PCPD).

I agree that what I have done with the Olympus cameras I could never dream of doing even with the old (and still a tough MOFO that could survive WWIII) Pentax K200D, I fell down into a puddle and I watched in horror how the E-M1 sank into the mud almost fully up on Dartmoor, quickly rinsed it with a metric ton of water and it was just sparkling and laughing at me afterward (by shutter clicking happily).

They also pointed out that the fact that Olympus knows how to do waterproof cameras helped them design really good water sealing for their OM-D and (the old) E line cameras. And I just realized that the brands that have the most success at waterproof cameras (Olympus TG, Panasonic TF, and Pentax W) have also some the most reliable weather-sealed professional cameras ... and that's not a coincidence then.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom