1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A complete numb-nut needs help!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Farcanalman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    I really do not know how to put this other than; how the hell do I get to process these damned .ORF files from my Oly E-PL1?

ib can see them but does not seem to have a great deal of functionality, so I got LR 3.5 and that says that "the files seem to be incomplete or damaged"!!!!

:eek:

I am not a very informed user of computers or software, so if anyone can point me to a 'numb-nuts guide to digital photo processing', I would be eternally grateful!

:rolleyes:

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Olympus Viewer, Raw Therapee, Lightroom...

I'm sure there are more.

3. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    Have you tried the native Olympus software which came with your camera? Or you can download it from here

Olympus - Software

4. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Did either of these two even read the thread properly?

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

No real need for attitude. The previous posters were just trying to be helpful. Since you're having an issue with Lightroom you might try the Olympus software that came with the camera. If that works it would help determine if your copy of Lightroom is the problem. if that does not work as well then that would indicate a problem with the files themselves.

6. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Here's a good guide using Olympus Viewer 2:
    Use Olympus Viewer 2 to Process Raw ORF Photos

Also if you want to use LR3, make sure you have upgraded to the latest and greatest version. It supports E-PL1 for a fairly long time now.

Else try to get a trial version of LR4 .. I use it on my E-PL1 .orf files and it works great.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks!

Thanks for the input fljoe, it may be that either LR3 needs updating or the basic Oly software is just pants(english for crap!).

And dixeyk, what exactly about my question constituted attitude?

Neither of them responded in a way that indicated that they understood my dilema and therefore prompted my question!

I will see what else comes in from other members.

:cool:

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I read your post and the first thing I thought of was "did you try the Olympus software?". From your post...

...it's not entirely clear that you HAD tried the Olympus software only that you tried something that had not enough functionality. Now the first two responses were brief and I admit that they probably weren't what you were looking for but that is how forums are. Folks try and help and sometimes it's not helpful but they made the effort to post something.

It's a fair question but IMHO it sounds pretty aggressive. I am not saying you meant it that way but if that had been directed at me I would have interpreted it as rude. That's why I mentioned it. Clearly I was mistaken. I work professionally in tech support and folks often do not realize how they sound when they talk to us. Perhaps I am just a bit more sensitive to it than most. Forums are a funny place in that what someone means can often get misinterpreted. Things like that don't happen face-to-face because we have all the subtle body language clues and vocal inflections to clarify a person's intent.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    I see you point...

I am short at times, but more because I am sometimes not sure what else to say, so yes it is difficult to be sure of how I meant what I said!

I am always being caught out by this phenomenon in the wonderful world of interweb, damn it we are all a bit open to mis-interpretation in that way.

Anyway, yes I have the Oly viewer and my assertion that it is short on balls is based on one or two realisations; mainly the same thing that most of the technology industry is guilty of, and that is changing stuff without sharing, whether due to being too protective or just in too much of a hurry to release it!

All they have to do is make a sort of press-release to the sterling people at Adobe and some of the others and those companies would be up with the game in no time, as they are better at what they do than the camera companies are!

I can use Oly viewer 2 to do some of the processing but then when I save it in a 'finished' form it will be saved in a format that no longer useable by processing software; which leaves me having to store massive folders of Oly RAW files until such time as Adobe catch up.

Nevermind, for now I will just have to make do with the 'ok' software that came with the camera and hope that Adobe bring out an update soon.

:cool:

P.S. I also need to do some processing before sending some of my pictures through a montage software and LR would be much better than Viewer2!

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I appologize in that I didn't realize LR 3.5 was what I refered to as Light room(I don't use it)

I understand that there were issues with the files, that is why I suggested Raw Therapee or Olympus Viewer.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm confused as to what you are wanting to do. Typically I would want to keep the untouched .ORF files for backup or so I can go back and modify if need be. Usually once processed a jpeg is created. Some programs also save a "profile" file for each image. Raw Therapee does this. This file tells the program where I last stopped with PP on the RAW image.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    It can recognise .ORF?

Are you saying that Raw Therapee can recognise the Oly RAW files?

If so, thank you!

Sorry if I was short earlier, it is my way when frustrated, I don't express myself perhaps as clearly as the netfolk may need me to!

:redface:

I will look into the Therapee gizmo in the morning(evening here) and see if it can suit my purposes.

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    Hiya,

Have you tried Google's free photo editor 'Picasa'?

It doesn't touch the original files, is easy to use, and allows you to 'export' the result to a JPEG in any size/quality that is appropriate...

Just be careful when installing that you don't allow it free reign to all directories, and turn off face recognition once installed (via the 'tools'>'folder manager' - where you can also tell it where which directories to pick up files from).

Works great on my EPL1 and EP3 raw files.

• Like Like x 1