1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Comparison: iPhone 4S vs a pro camera

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by leonberdi, Dec 9, 2011.

1. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    This is a great little feature in The Guardian comparing the performance of the iPhone to that of a pro camera. Considering the obvious deficiencies, it stacks up remarkably well!

The link is here

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apple always uses the best parts for it's products. I have seen some movies shoot through iPhones that were very impressive. But for me it feels silly and looks silly using a phone or any other device other than a camera to take pictures or shoot video.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Amazing although they should rather compare it Canon S100

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The most amazing part..is that it's a PHONE

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I dont understand why there is a comparison in first place? Apple pays them a lot of money to publish such silly comparisons . If I have a bicycle and I am in city riding my bicycle along with a ferrari in 20 kmph zone then they will be at par..So ferrai has no advantage over my bicycle.. but once u leave out the 20kmph zone then u will see the power . iPhone 4S doesn't offer anything better than other camera phones ..it may offer less instead, yet its made by apple and thus its an ultimate product and its camera is the best and comparable to a pro camera? Its just rubbish .
    Cheers

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't think the point is that it's a great camera. The point is that for an item you probably have with you anyway the camera is pretty decent. I always have my phone with me...I don't always have my camera with me.

Look at it this way...for a multi purpose device (camera, phone, music player, palm top computer) it's impressive that the photos and videos are as good as they are. As to why they're talking about the iPhone...there are a TON of them out there and Apple has done a very good job of developing the brand. People don't recognize smartphone as quickly as they do iPhone. Also, Apple doesn't need to pay for stuff like that. I saw the interview with Annie Leibovitz and she really DID say that for most folks an iPhone is a great little carry around camera and that she in fact uses one herself. She talked about it being a camera, photo wallet, social media device and that was something that was appealing to people. It makes sense that a comparison like this would pop up (In fact there are a number of versions of it out there). For people on this board I can see this all seeming very silly but I tell you my wife uses her iPhone that way. For the way she takes pictures and shares them via Facebook it's a great little device. FWIW I think Annie is right for a lot of folks a device like that is preferable to more full featured cameras.

When my iPhone finally gives up the ghost I'll pick one up. It won't replace my m43 but it'll just be another tool in the bag. Also, the HD video IS very impressive given the cost differential between it and something like the 5D.

7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    You mean like this fellow at a rock concert? :biggrin:

ipad_in_concert.

8. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    This is quite revealing. I had no idea my iPhone was that capable. Just one more reason my S90 will get relegated to the desk drawer.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The iPhone can be used to mount Canon and Nikon glass as well...

iphone_slr_mount-5193303.

10. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I've read about that, but other than for the novelty factor, I don't quite understand the point. If one were going to pack a heavy L tele-zoom lens and a tripod, why leave an eminently more capable DSLR behind?

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    .... or how about a Micro Four-Thirds body which is not much bigger than an iPhone but as capable (in terms of final image capture) as a DSLR?

12. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Well, I think that depends what one is shooting. Having tried my hand with an E-P3 for indoor concerts and action/sports, I think I'll stick to my DSLRs for those occasions. I may still get an EF adapter so that I can use my 100-400 lens on the E-P3 to attain that 200-800 range. :smile:

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's why I said for final image capture... The capabilities are the same in the end, but getting there may require different techniques.

14. Bhupinder2002

Lol..
    I agree its a nice decent camera but its not that nice and decent that it should be compared with a proper FF camera like Canon 5Dmark.I can understand the comparison with normal P& S cameras and that will make more sense . This kind of comparison is just an apple fan's publicity stunt and nothing else. I have iPhone 4 and I do use it quite often but i am not a die hard or a blind fan to ignore that fact that it doesn't stand anywhere near my MFT gear i. For casual shooting and fun yes iPhone or any decent camera phone is okay.But to compare it with FF DSLR is a bit grossly abnormal IMHO..
    Cheers

15. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Perhaps it's my lack of technique or skills, but using my E-P3, I have yet to achieve the same success rate as my 40D for action/sports, or the same IQ (low noise and dynamic range) of my 5D in a dimly-lit concert hall.

16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Comparing it to a P&S wouldn't give an idea of how good or bad the iPhone is as a camera. Comparing average to average gives you no idea of just what average is. To know that you need to compare average to excellent and then you get some useful comparative date. That's what was done, and it provides some useful info on what the iPhone does well and what it doesn't. You wouldn't get that sort of info from a comparison with a P&S.

17. Bhupinder2002

Thats a good point and an other angle of looking at it. But then again there are so many formats in-between .I think I will get my friend's Leica M9 and do the comparison .. lol
    So the moral of the story is that iPhone can replace ur 5d mark for camera but Canon 5D mark can't be ur phone ..hahah It will remain camera throughout its life ..

:biggrin::biggrin::rofl:

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-P3 doesn't even have any native lenses which are appropriate for action/sports yet. All those lenses would have to be adapted, and as such won't perform as well as on their original format (in particular, current fast telephotos are all made for PDAF at the moment). This is only because the system is so new, not because the potential isn't there. If you know how to work with manual controls though, then this makes very little difference.

The reason I bring up technique is because if you're comfortable with full manual controls (like focus and such), then a mirrorless camera can back up your high-performance lenses just like a DSLR. If you're not however, then you have to wait for more native lenses to pop up before you have a complete system.

Micro Four-Thirds by far has the greatest native lens lineup of all Mirrorless System Cameras, but it's still a long ways off from age-old SLR lines which have been around for so long.

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    True enough, the comparison is pretty silly.

20. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Silly? How so.. the iPhone 4/4s are probably the most use camera's out there today period. As for sheer volume of images taken, its probably the most successful camera ever!

So is it a fair comparison?? Absolutely. Techies may focus simply on pixel peeping etc. and IQ but if you look at an image on its own without direct comparison to a larger sensor camera... the iPhone produces some amazing images that serve easily 99.9% of the population.

No one is saying an iPhone is suitable for pro situations like Weddings, Pro Sports photograhy for publications etc. However, those situations are very limited a number of times a normal non paid pro use.

The iPhone does allow you to capture candid situations far better then standalone cameras as you have it with u almost at all times and quick to access.

This article reference is very good at demonstrating how the iPhone is beyond more then good enough for 99% of the market.

It really only highlights if you want to have depth of field control for additional creativity.. then yeah, get a standalone cam with long focal length lens to get decent bokeh.

In difficult contrasty lighting, it actually can perform better than dSLRs etc. However, in low light indoor conditions yeah.. very noisy but thats the same case with M43rds etc.

The iPhone has also made photography way more accessible to the masses who would rarely if ever have a standalone camera.

Then looking at the addition of apps and instant creativity vs. using complicated standalone desktop apps and you have a truly amazing product.

I wish camera manufacturers would learn from the iPhone app situation and allow standalone cameras to have access to PostProcessing small apps be added to their cameras like an Pen or GF series.

Yes an iPhone 4 can blow highlights a bit but the IQ is still beyond acceptable and only really an issue when doing a direct head to head comparison.

When evaluated on its own .. the portfolio that one could build off of it can be amazing and many online groups dedicated to it's format is proof of it.

Comparing a Phone cam to a standalone 1000+ camera may seem silly, but the bargain you get in the iPhone can really make a lot of people scratch their heads why people spend so much on a standalone system when it meets 99% of people's needs.

Techies pixel peeping vs. artistic freedom form factor ;; neither is wrong in todays world. If you want to pay $1,000s for better dof control, larger selection of focal lenghts and improvement in noise control and have the latest and greatest sensor.. that's fine.

If you want a great phone with a great camera and be a bit more sleath and always access to your camera and ok with a bit of noise and possibly a bit of blown highlights.. the iPhone 4 is an amazing tool.