1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A compact bag for some small primes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jasjb, Nov 28, 2014.

1. jasjb

jasjb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    I've been looking at camera bags and they all seem quite bulky to me. Seems they mostly cater for buly FF gear?

So I was wondering if there was a small-ish bag that could be used to house three or four of the small primes (eg: 20mm, 45mm, 25mm).

You could almost roll them up in a sponge cloth and be done with it :)

One idea I had was to find a small toiletry bag and pad it out with some soft lining.

But is there anything small and designed specifically for 3 or 4 tiny MFT primes?

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    There is the Dome smaller bad FX5 I think that are small, I have a Chinese copy I picked up for £5 or so will hold a small body and a couple of lenses or there about, another option if you can find it is the Lower Terracline 100 though you would have to get a couple of lens pouches.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use ONA Bowery bags for a small MFT kit and a Domke F6 for a large kit. ONA uses a bit high premium materials than Domke but it only has a single divider. I added some additional velcro dividers I had lying around and can hold 2 x EPL1 plus 3 primes securely.

FX5 is a great option but in the store the two large Velcro strips on the flap is rather annoying.

4. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    There are a few trusty bags I've been using with great pleasure for my MFT gear: Most of all a TAMRAC 5765 Velocity 5X, fits three lenses + smaller gear plus an OMD EM-1 with L-grip. Then a LowePro Event Messenger 100, smaller, lighter, not very feasible for the bigger lenses (like the 70/100-300). When I want to take everything along, I use my old & trusty Tamrac DeLuxe Convertible Model 706. Still in production after I bought it 15+ years ago. Never suitable for my AF DSL gear, lenses were too bulky. Very happy I never did away with it, because it fits like a dream an MFT set with 5 lenses, flash, accessories, etc. And rather comfortable so.

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I use a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 for an E-M10 with additional grip (for the zoom only), four primes (12mm, 17mm, 45mm, 60mm) and the 12-40mm zoom. The bag's small and rather stylish, comes with a raincover and fits all small accessories, too, including power supply (extra battery, charger) and tablet for viewing images. I think it's really quite ingenious and still very compact.

M.

6. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I use the think tank mirrorless mover 20. It was smaller than i thought.., but i fits my em10, 14-42ez, O25 and nissin i40 flash. I will buy one more bag though for future lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Tenba 8 (Im selling it btw ). I have gx7, oly 25mm, oly 45mm, fujion 35mm, and 2 manual lenses. Everything fits in there.
    Here is the link to my listing https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=71149

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have a Hadley Digital. Holds an E-M5 with lens attached, plus room for two further primes or small zooms. Front pocket for filters, lens pen, battery, cards, etc. If you just want to store the lenses, room for 4-5 primes or small zooms. If you store the camera with a body cap, you can have 3-4 primes left and right.

It's deep enough (top to bottom) to hold two primes on top of each other: I glue two lens caps back to back and store my lenses like that. It's easier to get at the lens you need that way.

Looks good and is waterproof, very light. Not cheap (I bought mine second hand), but very durable and well made.

• Like Like x 1
  9. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    The biggest question is whether you want a standalone bag or something to put inside a backpack ("bag insert" seems to be the term).

I had the same idea about getting a non-photo bag and adding padding. I used a soft-sided lunchbox and some foam scraps. It is working very well.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=67919

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    How do you feel about sling bags?

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/turnstyle-5-blue-slate-sling.aspx

I have this Think Tank Turnstyle 5 and it can hold an EM1 with prime attached as well as 2-3 additional primes, no problem.

I've even loaded it out with an EM1 with 25/1.8 attached, stacked the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 in the side next to the camera and then a Fuji X100 on the other side. Very small footprint and easy access as it slings in front and opens on top, reduces the chance of dumping anythng.

11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I use the Mirrorless Mover 10 when I go light - I can pack in my GX1 with the 45/1.8 attached and can squeeze in the 20/1.7 and 14/2.5 pancakes.

If you just carry lenses you can obviously put in a little more.

This shows the MM5, MM10, MM20 and MM30. I own the last three myself and use the MM10 and MM20 the most.
    [​IMG]

12. usayit

Here's how its pack (sorry crappy cell phone photos)

Closed

Here's what it looks like when I open it up to take out the primary camera.

Here's what it looks like while I have the primary camera in hand while shooting.

Primary EPL1 (The one wearing Gariz leather)
    Secondary EPL1
    FL300R flash
    Olympus 14-42EZ
    Olympus 25mm f/1.8
    Olympus 12mm f/2
    Olympus 45mm f/1.8
    Olympus 9-18mm
    VF-2
    Couple hoods.
    Manfrotto pocket table tripod (off to the side pocket that is not visible)

13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Ditto the ThinkTank Retrospective 5. Good all-around size for my E-M5 and several lenses; lots of pockets for miscellaneous stuff.

14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby

Brilliant idea!

15. usayit

Just a little warning about gluing two lens caps back to back.

This is a trick that has been known for a very long time. First, they don't lock. Second, the modern plastic rear caps are made of soft plastic rather than the harder plastics of the past. Over time they loosen up and don't necessarily stay on tightly. They wear even quicker if you form a habit of supporting the weight of the lens by the cap (our MFT might not be so bad... small lenses) I've had more than one person over the years report dropping a lens because they mistakenly assumed the cap was tightly held to the lens... it was not.

SImply put, these lens caps weren't designed for it.

I can't find pictures/links but there are some vintage "holders" that were designed for this purpose but they weren't that popular and didn't sell. Another version of this "trick" was to put a screw through the rear cap and attach it to the bottom of the camera via the tripod screw. Makes for a bag-less shooting kit with two primes and quick access. Again.. I wouldn't recommend this either for the same reasons....

Here's a vintage lens holder unit that I still use today; modified for the modern Leica (which unlike the M3 they are a few mm thicker body and have a center tripod screw)

9005617253_839af74d85_b.

Note its all metal construction (brass) and locking mechanism... designed to securely hold lenses. They are basically as reliable as the camera's lens mount itself. I have three of these things and thought about drilling out the rivets and screwing the two mounts back to back.

Of course, your mileage may vary... depending on the lens cap design and the material used. Heck, you may be fine if check/replace them periodically.....

• Like Like x 2
  16. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013

Which aftermarket pads are in there beside the included one that Ona provides?

Are your lenses cap-less in there?

17. usayit

I generally make my own pads... not too difficult. Easier / faster if you have a sewing machine. I think those came out of an Optech Accessory pack that I didn't need.

Yup... I've been cap-less for years. I rarely use front/rear caps at all.

18. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
  19. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Something that I use to pad and protect my lenses are beer cozies. You know the neoprene ones. They are practically free, come in colors and designs. you can cut them down to a variety of sizes. Oh yeah almost forgot as a bonus they keep your beer cold too :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran