A cheap macro flash alternative.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'd love a dedicated macro ring flash with TTL metering but cant justify the expense. I have a manual ring flash but setting correct exposure is trial and error. Arrived today is my latest 'toy' - it is an LED ring light - light rather than flash because it is always on. This lets the camera set the exposure and the results so far I'm happy with.

The rig on my GH1/45mm PL lens.
View attachment 151930

Some test shots:

View attachment 151206

View attachment 151207

More on Flickr here: Macro Flash - a set on Flickr

The flash unit comes with a range of adapters from 49mm to 67mm to suit a range of lenses. I use a 46>55 step up ring on the 45mm.

It runs off 2 AA cells for walk around or a supplied AC adapter for indoor work. Batteries have a 90 minute 'life' and you can switch on left or right side LEDs for different effects.

I bought on eBay: Macro Ring Flash LED Light Fr Canon/Sony/Nikon LENS E4D - eBay, Other Accessories, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 02-Oct-10 11:36:55 AEST)

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just picked up one myself from Amazon - it came today and it looks just like yours.

Identical and cheaper. The list price of $129.99 with a 72% discount to $35.95 is a bit of a joke. Notice seller is an affiliate, not Amazon itself whom I think is above that sort of thing.

angloasturian

Mu-43 Veteran
LED light

These were on sale during the summer when I was over in England. I thought they might be a good idea for a simple fill-in flash for sunny days. As they were just 3.99 GBP/ 4.50€/6.4 USD each ( LIDL) I bought two - but I haven't used either yet.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I just picked up one myself from Amazon - it came today and it looks just like yours.

Amazon.com: Macro Ring Flash LED Light! Works with Canon/Sony/Nikon/Sigma lenses!: Camera & Photo

Inexpensive and useful - I actually like the always on LED versus a flash because it makes focusing easier.

I have the same macro ring 'light' too - got mine from a US seller on ebay for about $35 bucks as well. Nice little light, only problem is it has a funny reflection, such as:

View attachment 151209

I have been meaning to wrap it with some translucent tape, but haven't got around to it yet!

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Thanks for the heads up. I have only shot a few test pics with it and have not seen that yet since I have not shot anything shiny, but I am sure I will sooner or later.

I think they did not make the cover more opaque because it looks "cooler".

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Of course the LEDs are usually behind the lens ... :wink:

Haha, it was a trick shot I swear!

Actually it was taken with my Pentax SMC-F 50mm F2.8 Macro - possibly verifiably the sharpest lens known to man (you wouldn't believe the detail you can see at 100%!)

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I have the Pentax-M 50/4.0 I recently picked up and am learning it, along with a Micro-Nikkor 105/4.0. And a new Induro tripod (my old one was a J.C. Penny!). The money is flying out the door. I have to start selling all of my older Pentax bodies and zooms I will never use again to start getting some $ back.

This ring light seemed like $35 well spent. After I ordered it the dermatologist put one of my wife's moles on "watch" so I can now take portraits of it!

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the ring flash tip, I bought one.

Thought I'd show the ring flash vs. some other means of photographing the same thing.

1) Older camera, flash. Bad! (Colors are pretty accurate, though)

web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) GF1 w/45mm Elmarit, light cube, photo light. Color is washed out and grey-yellow.

web.jpg

3) PS Autocorrect on #2, still unsatisfactory:

web.jpg

4) Ring flash, no photo light, but still using the light cube, really accurate color, no PP except straighten and crop:

web.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom