A Chance Meeting

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Nathan King, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I needed a DSLR. That's what I was repeatedly told through my online research, anyway. I walked into my local camera shop ready to look at a few models in my price range and fully intending to walk out with one of them...Then the unexpected happened. The employee explained that I would be remiss without looking seriously at some "micro four-thirds compact system cameras." The term "compact" caught my attention, but I left skeptical because of the small body and relatively smaller sensor size than even the entry APS-C cameras I was looking at. Later that day I picked up a white Olympus PL5 after being wowed with the portability, lens options, and image quality afforded by the format. That was several weeks ago, and I remain amazed with what can be done with a handful of small, lightweight lenses. I think I'm going to stick with primes because of the light gathering capabilities and image quality.

My lenses include:

M. Zuiko 17mm 1.8
    M. Zuiko 45mm 1.8

I'm saving my pennies for the 75mm 1.8!

2. Nathan-I have been a pro for 25 years. In the film days I shot 35mm when alot of pros told me I should be shooting medium format. I did use medium format as well as 4x5 and 8x10 at the studio where I worked, but for my jobs I did for my own business I shot 35mm. When I made the move to digital just 5 years ago, I bought a DSLR with an APS sized sensor. It delivered quality equal to any medium format camera I ever used and I shot weddings and portraits with it professionally. I bought my first Micro 4/3 camera for street shooting 2 years ago and just this week I sold the last of my DSLR gear so I can switch entirely to Micro 4/3.
    There is always a "bigger" format. I used to ask the medium formats devotees why they didn't shoot 8x10 film in a view camera if it was all about the bigger negative. Same goes for digital...why stop at a "full frame" DSLR? If size really matters, get a medium format camera with a Leaf back...oh, yeah, too bulky and expensive... I think you made a wise choice; I have been extremely impressed with the image quality from the Olympus stuff.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Sounds like you had a good salesperson :smile:
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Nathan, welcome to the forum!

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Very Rare, a salesperson who considers whats best for you!
  6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I chased the bigger, faster is better (as much as my budget would allow), for many years. But, now find myself with a E-p3 and G1. I also find myself reaching for the Olympus 14-42mm IIr lens much of the time, even though I have the Olympus 45mm f1.7, Pentax-M 50mm f1.7. Vivitar 24mm f2.8 ond others. The small bodies will get the job done if I do my part, and so does the little kit zoom. I like bigger, better, faster, but some times the convenience of the smaller "less capable", just makes sense to me. Oh, and the smaller investment, makes sense to me also. :smile::thumbup:
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    That is truly amazing : I've never met a sales-assistant who was anything less than derisory on m4/3rds compared to the "much larger" (their words) sensored Canon/Nikon/Sony machines.

Welcome, glad you got the 45.
  8. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Thank you!

I would like to thank everybody that welcomed me. I am particularly intrigued by Jav291's comment. Seeing a professional photographer abandon his kit for the exclusive use of the :43: format speaks volumes about the finished product it is capable of producing.

I was very impressed with the salesman that assisted me in my decision. I'm sure the fact that he is a very serious hobby photographer played a role in the quality of advice I received. Needless to say I kept his card. :2thumbs: