1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A candid shot with GX1.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Eggradio, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    I just bought the camera and I am testing it out. Taken on the bus in Queens, NY. I just turned the LVF2 up and shot from the hip, looking top-down to get an idea of where people were in the frame. Not quite as much bokeh as I wanted. But pretty sharp focus for 1/40. Must be the IS. I don't think anyone knew I was shooting.

6644099527_fc097f2867_b.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    The LVF2 is ESSENTIAL, by the way. I really, really like it. I wish Panasonic had better resolution in their LVF and LCD, but it's adequate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Is it possible to see the EVF's image with the camera as low as by the hip?

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    Not really. You may be able to see the central 10% of the frame, but that's about it.

David

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    It's true, not too much coverage from the hip. I keep the strap about mid torso, so just below the sternum. That's where I was shooting from. I guess "from-the-hip" was more of an expression. I meant to write that I was trying to be inconspicuous. Mostly, I wanted to make sure the subject was in focus with just an idea about framing and composition at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Eggradio .. I think both the new GX1 and your techinque passed your "test" with flying colors. Well done!

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Once you get accustomed to how much of the view is in the final shot, you only need to see a little bit to know roughly what you;re getting. This is great.

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This is great, but let's get one thing straight - you took the shot, the GX1 just followed your lead.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Exactly. If that's your preferred technique for street shooting, I'd say you'd probably be better served by a camera with a tilting LCD. Something like the G3 (where the screen needs to be flipped out to the side to look down into it) or the epl3 (where it just flips up but is still hidden by the camera) are easier to work that way than trying to peer through a viewfinder from a distance. I shoot blind a lot and frame on instinct ( and zone focus) but when I want to see what I'm doing or use AF, I use the epl3. Nice shot, but you're making it difficult on yourself with that technique.

-Ray

10. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    It's true. I wish I could afford a G3 and a EPL3 on top of this one. An articulating screen would be nice if only to fold it up and keep it scratch free. I am finding that I only use the LCD to review my pictures. I am using the LVF almost exclusively. I like the GX1 for its resolution and size. Shooting occasionally with an inconvenient technique is not so bad for me. Also, no one can actually tell you are even looking for a picture with the LVF. A big LCD is available for view by everyone around which makes you a little more conspicuous.

11. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Here is another one from that same day:

6644101919_358827b2e6_b.

12. Found it difficult using the LVF-1 for taking "hip shot" using the GF-1. Probably would have the same issue using the GX-1 with the LVF-2.
    Situation where an articulating lcd would be nice (hint to Pany on the next gen GX).

Nice initial stealth images.