1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A camera Body with two sensors?An idea for the future

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was just going through different threads and read how we grumble about pros and cons of different formats, bodies , lenses etc.I just thought-How about a camera body with two sensors? one MFT and one APS-C?Or both MFT? U will have the freedom to plug two different lenses. U can carry single slightly bigger body.U won't have to rush to change the lens and so on.:smile::smile::smile:
    Its just thought but How will u react if some camera manufacturer offers u something like this?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

Note -Please don't be harsh or over critical.after all its just an idea :popcorm2:

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I think you're onto something !@?*!#

3. Bhupinder2002

After all it's a human brain .. Who thought of video calls and mobiles few decades ago? It's just my imagination and an idea which could offer more fun .. Lol I should have said a Camera body with digital and film option? Lol

4. My idea of a twin-sensor camera would be one optimised for low and high ISOs, say 50-400 and 800+. Heck, just make them as interchangeable modules including the processor so that I can update the hardware of an existing body. Kind of like the GXR but with the lensor split into separate lens and sensor modules.

5. Bhupinder2002

Good idea .. Thats what my imagination is . Separate sensors and seperate sensor module..
    Cheers with a beer so our thread remains clear ( of serious posts ) .

6. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    It would be cool to build it with a retro TLR feel. Twin lens on the front, downward viewfinder on the top etc. As said, optomised for high/low iso performance. Maybe a 3D system too using both sensors at the same time. The practicality of it would be good, having two lenses mounted at the same time would open up a world of options.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bhupinder2002

Yes ..and we won't mind some weight ... Oh la la
    :biggrin:

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    A serious thought though, is it really necessary with today's sensor tech?

I can barely tell the difference between my GH2 and my mates D700 files at screen res....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

No nick .. Its not for the difference , its just to add more fun and more flexibility. I think at some stage this will happen eventually as technology advances . Combining two MFT sensors will essentially create a system where u can plug ur two different lenses and not to change them again and again. It will open many other options . Now if wishes were horses ,beggars would ride.... so lets see what geeks add to this thought..:smile:

10. Bhupinder2002

No other ideas???
    :confused::confused::confused:

11. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    If it is 2 sensors, I like to have a camera that have 3 parts. Body with MFT mount and Leica M mount - sensor (MFT + Fullframe )- lens.

If money is not a problem, buy all the parts.

If you have a excellent job and you will swim in money pool next year, buy MFT sensor first and then Fullframe sensor.

If you are an enthusiast photographer, maybe MFT sensor is enough.

I choose those type of sensor because the lenses are small enough. Size does matter for me, it's a fun camera to take outside :D.

I won't take a big 1ds4 or even hasselblad to go out haha :).

Wow, I wish this kind of camera!

12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    im with nicktaz!

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You don't need to different sensors to use two different sets of lenses. Just crop a central portion out of the larger one. Nikon already does that with some of their bodies. Mount a crop format lens on a FF body and the camera only uses the crop portion of the sensor, ignoring everything that's outside the image circle of the lens.

My idea is a single square sensor, that lets you switch to a portrait format image without rotating the camera. Make the sensor cover the entire image circle of the lens, and let me crop as I see fit later (or put a switch on the camera to let me select portrait or landscape when I shoot).

Fuji already offers a sensor that can be optimized for high and low ISO performance by using pixel binning. That seems a more viable approach than two sensors, especially given the size they take up.

As for TLRs, there's a reason nobody makes those any more. They're far less ergonomic than more modern designs. With an EVF, at least you could eliminate the backwards motion effect when you pan the camera, but a tilting LCD screen is more practical than a purely waist level finder.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And weigh nearly twice what a current m43 camera weighs.

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    How about 2 sensors for high res 3d?
    How about 3 sensors for full res 3 chip capture?
    How about 6 sensors for 360 degree video?

A Ride Down Slickrock Trail - YouTube

(Aside, I did a tour of Canyonlands with the rider on the video, Mark Sevenoff back in the day. Great rider. And the Slickrock Trail is mind-bending. Imagine going up hills so steep that the bike wants to flip onto its back, so you have to get as much of your own weight over the front wheel by sitting on the nose of the saddle and putting your chest on the bars. Or downhills where you're off the back of the seat, resting your chest where you butt usually is. Good times!)

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  17. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    Olympus already made one....

The E-330 has two sensors enabling pdaf focusing in liveview as well as using the ovf. It was a revolutionary camera that they forgot to tell everyone about. I still have mine and it's a great camera. Ironically it's the camera that many m4/3's users are asking for. It has the same type of LCD as the EPL-3, an ovf to the far left of the body, no mirror hump and you can mount a flashgun and use the onboard flash at the same time.
    The IQ on this camera is very good, low ISO noise is minimal, colour is excellent and because it is 7.5mp you can push and pull the files quite a bit.
    It's probably not exactly what you had in mind but it has been done before.

Olympus E-330 EVOLT Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

18. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
    Good news. It's called a Ricoh GXR and it has been around for a while.

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The idea of a modular camera is a good one but it has two big drawbacks. One is size and weight. To make it work would require a bit of space and of coarse make it heavier. The other one is price! It would not be cost effective.

I do like the idea of a larger sensor that can be set to a cropped smaller size.

The idea I will add is a universal lens mount with any/all electrical connectors. There would be no native lens per say but rather a mount that accepts the various adaptors. They could work it so it automatically sets the sensor for the lens. For instance put the Nikon F adaptor on and the full frame is on. If it is a DX only lens then it switches to the 1.5x crop of DX. Put on the m43 adaptor on and it switches to the 2x crop. Put a c-mount on and it crops for that. Now it should have a manual override incase you want to be artsy and have heavy vignetting. A camera that can use EVERY lens out there!{well 35mm/Fx or smaller at least}.