1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A Box in a box in a box

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Aushiker, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I know I am new to "serious" or otherwise photography but can someone explain to me how a box has a potential value of AU$45.00 (delivered). I think I better hang on to my boxes :)

Yes I do keep the boxes of the gear which has value in case I decided to sell same down the track ... maybe there is some value here for that but nearly $50 worth? Am I missing something?

Regards
    Andrew

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    My wife has always questioned why I keep all the boxes, paperwork etc for my camera gear. It's purely because if I want to sell anything, it comes with all the original equipment as well, including cables and the like, as appropriate. When I sold off my M mount lenses all but the two CLE lenses had their original boxes, even the Leica Tele-Elmar had it's original external box and cylindrical case that held the lens.

3. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Empty original boxes for "collectible" items can sometimes command very high prices. Go to eBay and do a search for "original box" combined with the terms "Colt", "Smith & Wesson" or "Rolex".

OTOH, $50 does seem a bit on the high side for an empty box from a camera lens which, at this time, wouldn't seem to have much real "collectible" status. Also, since the box is going to have the serial number of the lens that actually came in it printed on the end flap, it would be difficult to put another lens in this box and try to sell the package as being "complete with original box".

dp

4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The answer to this is... you bought the box didn't you? Value is sometimes defined by demand and what the public will tolerate. Don't feel too bad, Rolex boxes command even higher prices. :biggrin:

In any case, I tend to keep my boxes for items that may have any intrinsic value or for items that may be sold in the future. Items with original boxes and packaging tend to command higher prices on used items.