1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A book about the inner artist...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pharaviel, Sep 2, 2012.

1. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    From the website:

"The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

Published: March 2002 | ISBN: 1585421464

The Artist's Way is the seminal book on the subject of creativity. An international bestseller, millions of readers have found it to be an invaluable guide to living the artist's life. Still as vital today-or perhaps even more so-than it was when it was first published one decade ago, it is a powerfully provocative and inspiring work. In a new introduction to the book, Julia Cameron reflects upon the impact of The Artist's Way and describes the work she has done during the last decade and the new insights into the creative process that she has gained. Updated and expanded, this anniversary edition reframes The Artist's Way for a new century."

My girlfriend (a would-be-illustrator) has an artist block since some years. She started the book (it's not some kind of yoga-zen-spiritual book, the title could mislead you: it's a pratical book, full of exercises-games for re-awakening your inner child-artist) and she's almost finished (planned exercises take 12 weeks). I just started it, I'm at day two. The activities take 10 hours/week, so you have to find some time in your day.

Did anyone already went trough the book? Comments?
    If someone is intrested I'll post my thoughs about it while I'm reading.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I haven't read it, but I'm curious to hear what you think of it and how it works out for your girlfriend.

3. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    She hasn't started drawing yet, but I think she's improving.
    I read through the intro. A litttle comical and full of quotes from blocked artist she awakened. It focuses on the inner critic we have inside, the voice that tells "i'm not good enough, my work is bad..." and tell how it work (striking with doubt, lazyness, depression, anger, envy).
    The intro teaches you about the basic tools of the book: morning pages and artist date:

Morning pages are a daily, 1 hour homework. You have to write 3 pages of what you think. You can even write three pages of "i don't know what to write". Writing the pages lets your mind wander. You can rant, dream, write what you want. People can't read your morning pages. Even you can't read them back.

Artist date is a weekly homework. You have to go on a date with your inner child-artist, and no one else. Take a solitary walk, seeing a movie alone, whatever makes you connecting again with your inner artist.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope the whole thing make some sense.