A blanket dumbing down of the photographic industry is happening... [EOSHD]

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by krugorg, Oct 3, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 1
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Interesting article. Makes a lot of sense. :smile:

I too think Sony has made a big mistake cramming 24mpx into their APSC sensor. Just what we don't need. The restarting of the pixel race. :mad:

I look forward to following opinions on the main crux of this article, ie building for the masses vs building for the enthusiast and pro.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I didn't read the rest.

The article in the first two paragraphs claims that Kodak catered to professionals (and implies that was their main market) and abandoned "real" photographers for the masses, and that was their mistake. In reality, Kodak grew their business on photography for the masses. Brownies. Kodachrome. Instamatics.

I think Kodak just had lousy products and didn't make the digital transition, and had no sense of direction. In the late-90s, I was part of a company purchased by Kodak. Our president went up to a board meeting to present our unit's results (we were a software company) and he surprised the room when he plugged in a computer and ran powerpoints, instead of using Slides! That's a company that is well behind the trends, and the real issue with Kodak. The Upstate NY braindrain (because of the unfriendly corporate environment and taxes), and a company that couldn't innovate, and that was stuck, frozen in time. Kodak was dead 10 years ago, but their patent portfolio kept them going. It's finally all coming crashing down.

I didn't bother with the rest of the article, as the premise from the opening was flawed.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    This article is a very traditional 'fluff' piece, whining about how industry X is changing for the worse. It would fit right in for a number of online and paper tech news outfits. But the point is poorly thought out and substantially blind to the dynamics of any consumer market. Cameras are almost incidental to the article's moaning about how consumers aren't educated. Of course they're not, that's the whole point. Your technically wonderful top of the line products are never, ever the life-blood of a company this size. I don't think this guy's ever had a substantial role in creating or managing a consumer product line.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'll comment on some specific things.

In regards to Kodak...
    Pure speculation. Kodak's real market was enthusiasts? Could have fooled me. And even if they did go down that road, there is no guaranteed success there. Sure, they came out with lots of P&S cameras that are bad to mediocre, but so has Sony, Samsung, fuji, and Panasonic, and their camera arms of business are doing fine.

In regards to Nikon

The only people who don't like it are those scouring the internet. We have no read data yet to see if the masses will like it or not. Enthusiast market aside, this is pure speculation again.

Again, speculation. No real data. If anything, Mr. Average will buy a new shiny P&S every few years where the enthusiast might buy one body every 5 years along with lenses down the road. Sure, companies make money off of those lenses, but people who renew their electronics every few years has become the norm. As far as accessories go, most accessories aren't even provide for by the camera manufacturers anymore. Most of the accessories are purchased by companies specializing in those accessories.

First off, we have no idea what Panasonic has in store for it's GFX1 or whatever they are going to call it. I also don't see any real data supporting that the GF3 has killed LX5 sales.

I could go on in regards to the blog. The problem is enthusiasts in many cases project that their own individual wishes and wants in cameras will be successful for that company, and that is just not true. Companies are going to make cameras that make good business sense and will sell. Canon and Nikon P&S cameras have been propped up by their dSLRs for years. Panasonic, for example, on the other hand, doesn't have money to invest into enthusiast cameras if their P&S cameras aren't doing well. Luckily, Panasonic over the last few years have pioneered the zoom bridge camera, the travel zoom camera, and the enthusiast small sensor camera. If panasonic isn't making money in the low volume mirrorless market, the easiest way is to make the mirrorless more palatteable for the masses, ala GF3. I hate to break it to the blogger, but the road to the GFX is through the sale of the GF3s.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    :thumbup:

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pick any 'scientific' sensor offered by Kodak and compare the camera Kodak put that sensor into to any of the 10-20 other 'scientific' camera guys that used exactly the same sensor and the Kodak offering came out at the bottom of the list no matter how you spun it.

Clearly a problem with direction and right hand left hand going in opposite directions. There is no way that Kodak did not have people that could have made great cameras ... the talent was so compartmentalized that they might never have even known of each ofther existence and might have even been in the same building.

8. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    from the article
    Has that author been under a rock? Kind of a dumb article IMO. In the 21st century cameras are just gadgets. The casual snap shot photographer is a much larger market segment than the enthusiast. So of course cameras are becoming simplified.

It's really just the evolution of gadgets and technology. Look at the Lumix phone, that's where we're headed.

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Photography is dead! Long live photography!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    :rofl:

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The photography is expanding. I'm glad to see that the trend is towards larger sensors and smaller sizes. So many new announcements recently. I feel we've been held back by Canikon's agressive resistance to innovation for years. I hope Sony will make them run for their money and cut a huge chunk of their marketshare so they'll start to really react and produce what we want not what they want to sell to us.

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    There's lots in that quote John.

Cameras, camera companies, photographic technolgy and trends come and go. So long Minolta, Yashica et al, goodbye Ektacolor, Ektachrome, Polariod. See you, wouldn't want to be you..

But photography, as an artistic medium will never go away. Photography as a documentary tool will never go away Photography as a historic family record will never go away.

The methods, the capture media and the chemistry will change, and then change again. The tools we use will become dated, then old fashioned, then back in style, maybe even fad like.

Photography though.. it's here to stay.

It helps to explain why some folks, myself included among them, enjoy the photography talk more than the gear talk.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I think the guy needs to lay off coffee and grow up. It is just another internet rant of "why don't companies do what I want them to." And this is not a new trend. I was invented by Kodak--you press the shutter and we do the rest.

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    BTW, if you don't like the dumbing down of photography, you don't use the term "crop factor."

• Like Like x 2
  15. So if future looks so unpalatable, what's the big problem with continuing to use what currently exists now? Film is apparently dead, yet I know a bunch of people still out there using it now. So what if I won't be able to upload pics directly to facebook on my 2009 vintage camera like you will on a Canon EOS 850D?

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    My question is, what's wrong with making photography more accessible?

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Are you crazy! Then everybody would do it!!!:biggrin:

18. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think the real consumer shift the blog did not mention is the rise of the smartphone. T-Mobile USA recently announced that 90% of their phone sales so far in 2011 were smartphones. With the near-P&S-quality cameras built-in, excellent image apps, and rapid image sharing (facebook, etc.), it would seem a good chunk of consumers will skip buying a P&S.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    :2thumbs:

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think this has sense. The real threat to consumer photography are Smartphones because in one body you have all you need to share with others etc.