A bit of a quandary!

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
About a year ago I added a G9 to my armoury to go alongside the X-H1 so I had a decision to make as I can’t justify running two different systems along side each other!
0444B966-7291-418E-B8E5-C0D92B77C3BB.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So as you can see above decisions decisions, which way to flop ummmmmmm.
As I had a period of the X-H1 of resetting itself to factory defaults, this happened at the most inappropriate times, I thought b*****ks and came down on the side of the G9! As you can see there are a lot of similarities between the two models.
There is little or no difference in the IQ of the two machines! So I had no qualms of choosing either.
But that wasn’t the end of my woes as about a month into my journey with the G9, the rubber grip on the SD card slots started to come unglued, off it went to the UK service agents DK AVS Ltd, I sat back and waited and eventually the camera came back, I was gobsmacked it was in worse shape than when I sent it, this resulted in a new cover which exhibited the same peeling rubber fault and two destroyed screws.
Well I sold that body and purchased a new G9, lo and behold that also started losing rubber grips, a total of eight times so I decided to apply some self help so whipped out the super glue and stuck em all back in place. Nine months down the line and no more rubber coming adrift, touch wood. Chatting to a lady Lumix rep at the recent CameraWorld show Panasonic knows about the problem but she didn’t know what steps were being taken to rectify the annoyance!

This is a crying shame as I’ve discovered that the G9 is a superb photo taking machine!
This exercise ended up costing me a pretty penny, but hey my journey continues.

Its strange what makes us keep a camera, the G9 is possibly the best m4/3 but for me the one area the EMIMK11 beat it was BIF, so the G9 was sold, now ime making the move into Nikon mirrorless alongside m4/3 waiting for the new Z50.
This time its the EM1MK11 thats going and ime keeping the G80 to use the 100-400 on, health issues are knocking me back more and more chasing the birds o_O so ime heading in a slightly different direction.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Its strange what makes us keep a camera, the G9 is possibly the best m4/3 but for me the one area the EMIMK11 beat it was BIF, so the G9 was sold, now ime making the move into Nikon mirrorless alongside m4/3 waiting for the new Z50.
This time its the EM1MK11 thats going and ime keeping the G80 to use the 100-400 on, health issues are knocking me back more and more chasing the birds o_O so ime heading in a slightly different direction.
Mike, I do hope your health improves!
At the cameraworld show, I had a fondle of a Z camera, really quite small but the lenses are ginormous, heavy and bloody expensive, so it will be a no no for me! But good luck to you.:drinks:

Last edited:
Mike, I do hope your health improves!
At the cameraworld show, I had a fondle of a Z camera, really quite small but the lenses are ginormous, heavy and bloody expensive, so it will be a no no for me! But good luck to you.:drinks:
Just for info purposes, it was most likely a Z6 or Z7 you handled, the Z50 is a crop sensor and the body is smaller and lighter, it has no IBIS but the two lenses launched with it will have IS in them and be nowhere near as heavy or expensive as the full-frame versions.

The body i think is lighter than the EM1MK11

Teljam

Mu-43 Regular
I just bought a Nikon Z6 - it’s a beautiful camera. But interestingly I’m keeping my G9 coz with the pana/Leica 200mm and 50-200 lenses + teleconverter i have an awesome bif setup - the equivalent ff lenses are HUGE!

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
Just for info purposes, it was most likely a Z6 or Z7 you handled, the Z50 is a crop sensor and the body is smaller and lighter, it has no IBIS but the two lenses launched with it will have IS in them and be nowhere near as heavy or expensive as the full-frame versions.

The body i think is lighter than the EM1MK11

View attachment 782816
Hmmm, Z50 and PF 500 F/5.6. Hmmmmm ;) You can always add FF as well. Another Hmmmmm ;)

Hmmm, Z50 and PF 500 F/5.6. Hmmmmm ;) You can always add FF as well. Another Hmmmmm ;)
I do not need your help to spend my money
but it is a thought.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Tuff choice. I had attempted selling my D7200 and D5500. The going rate for used was not good. And DSLRs are fading out while mirrorless is the trend. But your question makes me reconsider selling it. Both have seen about 1 year of use which makes it difficult to sell for so low. Good luck on your decision.

Anyway, the rubber on the G9's SD card slot door came off early this year. I have no plans to send it in for repair. The other rubber pads seem to be holding up. Note the chrome plating that came off the strap lug.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've had pretty good luck with the G9 PL100-400 for birding, took a while to figure it out. I had the rubber door problem but super glue did the trick, and I've been shoot about 8 hours a week birding for the last 7 months with it. It is one of the best imaging tools I have ever used. But size matters and on my last 1400 mile 7 day trip I took the Gx85, OLY 9-18 and 75-300 II. Herniated disk and peripheral neuropathy had me using a hiking pole and going some places where I could have died (5 miles hike that turned out to have 40 to 60 foot area of slanted sandstone to cross with a 200' drop:).

I've been thinking of making a car kit out of the Gx85, Pany 14 and Sigma 30 f2.8 and ordering an Oly OMDIII as a travel camera. I won't ever go back to the large 70-200's and 300mm and above. My friend has been using a D500 and the 200-500 for about 4 years and it has adversely impacted his shoulder. Pain is such that it has become a real problem. No thanks.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What do you need your cameras for?

BIF? PanaLeica 100-400 is as light as it gets.
Action? Fuji's AF-C is better (IMHO).

Bodies are pretty much the same size, main difference is in the lens.

I have an X-T2 with battery grip and 18-135mm lens for the boys at the park. AF-C on the E-M1ii is probably up to par now, but I didn't feel like waiting. Plus some primes for when they can stand still long enough for the occasional portrait. I really like the X-H1 but it's too big for my hands. Love the shutter, IBIS, and EVF though! The ergos really need to be improved for me, Canon EOS-R fit like a glove by comparison.

Then I have an E-M5, E-M5 II, and GX8 that I use for everything else: from street to nature to family photos (love the articulating screen for selfies with the kids!)

Anyway, my advice is to figure out what you NEED and then go from there. I think super glue has fixed the G9's problem, right?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom