a bargain leather case for the E-PL1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by FaradayCage, Jun 25, 2010.

1. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    There is a seller on ebay.sg, named "mzmshop" that makes several camera cases. I received his full black leather two-piece case for the E-PL1. At the current price of about USD 25 including shipping, it is a bargain. The leather is clean and fresh, black, with tight stitching. The lining inside is soft and suede-like, with all interior surfaces covered. The case has a half-body bottom and snap-on cover that accommodates the kit zoom lens, mounted. The fit is tight and the cover is attached to the half-body with two snaps on either side, plus a magnetic snap that mates to the bottom of the half-body case. The half-body is attached to the camera body by way of a polymer screw that can itself screw onto a tripod mount. The case leaves gaps for camera straps on both the camera body and on D-rings on the half-body case itself.

There are some flaws. The grip on the right side of the camera body could use a slot on the half-body bottom. It does barely fit as is, but not with conformal ease. The cover cannot reliably stay attached to the half-case while shooting because when the two side snaps are loosened, the cover is only held by the magnetic snap on bottom, but it would be awkward to leave the cover hanging at any rate. So just remove it. If your chosen mounted lens is even a centimeter longer than the kit zoom lens, it is unlikely the cover will fit as the case is very well tailored to closely hug the camera body and kit lens. I cannot mount the half-case at all with my particular micro 4/3 adapter from Robert Jagitsch and a Contax G lens on account of the focus dial that protrudes from the adapter, but one can hardly blame the case designer for that. The lens and adapter are too long for the cover at any rate. But I suspect the Panny 20mm or Oly 17mm would fit just fine in this case.

This case is fantastic for an E-PL1 with the kit lens, and is bloody larceny at the low price of 25 USD. I can smell the new leather as I type. However, with any lens longer than the kit zoom collapsed, the cover will not fit, and a legacy lens with an adapter that increases the diameter of the lens-adapter combo will not fit well on the half-body case. The polymer screw is unlikely to scratch the bottom of your camera body, so that is good. The poor accommodation for the right-hand grip on the camera body is the worst thing here. The case comes with an extra camera neck strap.

At 25 USD it's hard to go wrong here, and the seller shipped from Hong Kong to California in about a week or less.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Any chance of a link and a few pics?

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Only real question is, white or black? Actually, I was wondering if the screw bolt on the bottom is removable? (would like to use a quick release plate with screw instead...)

hmm, then I would need an allen key everytime I want to change the battery...maybe not such a good idea. It looks very nice though!

4. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Must make a correction... the bolt on the case bottom is not polymer but metal. It just didn't feel very cool to the touch so it misled me. I don't know if the bolt can be removed without damaging the case; I merely haven't wanted to force it yet. It remains in the case bottom on its own as is and doesn't appear designed to be removed.

Only in black leather with a sort of medium grey stitching. Totally worth 25 bucks, but I'm glad I didn't pay more that on account of the odd fit for the camera grip (visible on last picture). Perfect for storage and transport, easy to remove for shooting, and as with any full case you'll need someplace to put the lens cover. It won't fit in your pocket.

case6.
    case5.
    case4.
    case3.
    case11.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Interesting looking at this now....

6. mtlshop

mtlshop New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2010
    I've had this one for the ep1 for 6 months and it's pretty good. Mine is all banged up and scratched but still in one piece. I got the white one and it's slowly turning gray.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I just received my case today! I know why it doesn't quite fit with the e-pl1 as shown above - because it made for the E-p1! Good thing I got one over the weekend...I must have had some premonition that I would be buying an e-p1 when I ordered the case, haha.

8. OK, ordered one for the E-P2 yesterday, will take some pictures once it arrives. Thanks for the tip!

9. aslondon

aslondon New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    florida panhandle
    I'm anxious to see it on the e-p2. Please keep us posted

Al

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I can put some up this evening on my e-p1, it is a nice fit. I also expect to receive the case which was about the same cost specifically made for the e-pl1 shortly (specifically this one), and will post photos of that case as well (it is form fitted to the grip, unlike this case referenced in this thread which is sold as compatible for the e-pl1 but is really intended for the p1/p2).

11. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    I really like the simple Olympus wrist strap. Did you take it from one of your other camera's? I dont really like the neck strap when walking around. Love the look of the leather case too.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If anyone was interested, to answer my own question in the 4th post above, the bottom bolt is definitely NOT removable. Maybe someday I will try harder, but there is definitely something built in-between the interior suede and outer (p)leather shell that is holding that bottom screw in. I even tried plying the case apart but couldn't make out anything that was easily removable - it is in there permanently as far as I can tell. My work around was to screw a quick release plate into the bottom screw itself, since it does have a 1/4" screw slot.

13. OK, not arrived yet, but good communication by the seller regarding the expected long delivery time, so bear with me on pictures of case :)

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I don't know if you're in the US or elsewhere, but with the ebay sellers in China and Hong Kong I find things tend to arrive right about the time I've forgotten I ordered them, haha (more specifically, usually 2-3 weeks). So I've learnt to buy and just forget waiting, the anticipation will kill you! Just make sure to check your ebay purchased items occasionally to make sure they do in fact arrive.

I got a registered mail notice from the post office on friday, going to pick it up today. Have a feeling it might be the e-pl1 case, here's hoping!

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I received the proper E-pl1 cheap-o leather case from ebay (the one I linked in a post above), so here are some comparison shots! The cases are pretty nice and of similar quality overall. The bottom screw is not removable (would have been nice so that I could directly attach the quick release plates in the shots below, but they both have additional 1/4" screw slots, and dont look too out of place as they are now). Notable differences between the two cases are as follows:

1. The e-pl1 case does not have strap lugs - both cases leave the area where straps attach to the camera free, so this is not a huge deal.

2. the e-p1 case has a magnet clasp on the bottom, while the e-pl1 is a button clasp; both use buttons on the sides to attach the top leather cover.

3. the e-p1 case lens covering portion limits its use to the 14-42mm, 17mm, 20mm and 9-18mm. The e-pl1 lens cover portion is a little roomier and fits the oly 9-18mm with more ease.

4. the e-p1 bottom half case goes up the sides (no front/back wrap), leaving the camera's leather grip exposed, while the e-pl1 bottom case has a wrap around grip, which is quite comfortable with initial handling.

I am pleased with both cases! They are perfect for stowing in a bag, adding some padding and protection. The top cases are both easily removable - I have found I just remove it while the camera is out for shooting.

Both cases side by side:

The E-pl1 Case:

The E-p1 case (same as the original OP's case):

• Like Like x 3
  16. 2ndname

2ndname Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2010
    Nice, I can't wait to see this case on the E-P2.

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It will be the exact same as the photos above on my e-p1, except you know, for the black camera :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. OK, lightning fast delivery! Ordered Aug 11, arrived today in Netherlands from Hong Kong. Excellent value for money for only 17 Euro incl. P&P!
    In short, I am impressed!
    <br>
    Here some pictures of the case that is a perfect fit around my E-P2 (and apologies for image quality, taken with my camera (milestone) phone.)
    And note, it fits around the Olympus 14-42 kit lens as well!

2010-08-11_15-37-52_827.
    <br>
    2010-08-11_15-38-15_893.
    <br>
    2010-08-11_15-38-46_464.

19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Actually I am pretty impressed with those camera phone images!