1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A bag either screams camera bag or not

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Savas K, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Almost every review you see for photography and its equipment is always about the subtleties. You'll hear words like bit, a mite, a tad, a scosh; even an -ish.

With camera bags it's black and white. It either screams camera bag or it doesn't. A lot of people do not want bags that scream camera inside.

Why not describe in subtleties , for instance, mentions camera bag. Refers to a camera bag. Makes one wonder if in the event there is a camera in the bag. Reminds one of a camera bag. Appears relevant to photography. Could be a contender for carrying a camera. Is trying to appear other than a camera bag but creates doubts. Reminiscent of what photographers carry.

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    And the second you take the camera out every bag screams the same thing. So unless you don't use the camera, well you get the idea.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Savas,
    Very true.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The problem for a guy (at least in the US) is that far fewer men carry any kind of bag. The possibilities are briefcase (hard or soft) and backpacks. I realize that this is huge generalization, but my observations in US cities do confirm the bias. I think we need a bag disguised as a six pack.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Or maybe this :eek:

belly-bag.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    Nice, but will it hold my EM5 with a grip?? :wink:

Attached Files:

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The one I have seems to expand as needed.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I can squeeze a 12 pack of beer into mine.

9. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Hmm, here in Honolulu every other guy is carrying a messenger bag. Lots of them are the mini or vertical messengers which really are just a Murse. This summer I drove north from San Francisco, up the Pacific Coast Highway, and stopped in Portland, Seattle and Victoria BC and messengers were all the rage. My camera filled Timbuk2 messenger blended into the background of city life very well.

Where I didn't see men carrying bags were the West Coast small towns and rural areas. As I walked around shooting I couldn't help but notice I was the only guy with a messenger bag! Lots of the pickups had gun racks. What was even funnier was almost all the street signs and mailboxes had bullet holes along Highway 101 in Washington State!

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    • Like Like x 1
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Did you travel through my neck of the woods (Bandon OR)? I think people here use street signs as target practice for men who carry messenger bags ;)

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I was using this setup for a while, but eventually people caught on and discovered I was carrying a camera.

It really became an issue while attempting to shoot team sports in a stadium. I couldn't get past security on two counts.

IMG_2077.

13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

In fact I did go to Bandon a few weeks back. Very mellow and had a hard time finding beer late at night! But spent a couple days in the area and loved it. Snapped a lot of pics and showed off my camo messenger!:2thumbs:

Coquille River • Bandon OR
    Bandon_2830sign.

14. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    This.

For sh*ts and giggles, try googleing "doesn't look like a camera bag" and stand in awe at a nigh 200K exercises in futility. Does anyone seriously think that the thieves guild suffers from a rare collective cognitive disorder in that they can't spot someone taking a camera out of their bag if the latter "doesn't look like a camera bag"?

Every time my eye catches one of those "doesn't scream/shout" posts, my skin crawls. I may be the odd one out, but none of my bags ever screamed or shouted, so enough with that trite metaphor already.

15. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

The phrase, "doesn't scream camera bag," has been elevated to photogeek lingo and is one of the most overused expressions in bag reviews. It has some catching up with "at the end of the day" and "24/7," but its overuse is a result of a lack of imagination. A skilled thief will regard any man toting a bag--even a non-vocalizing diaper bag--as a possible target with the potential harvest of iPad, cash, ID, firearms or drugs.

16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    But it's not always about thiefs. Some people just want a stylish looking bag and don't care for the stodgy LowePro/etc products.

17. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I'd say most of us prefer a handsome and stylish bag otherwise we wouldn't have 10 times more bags than gear...