1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A B&W Portrait In New York

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by StudioHeraBell, Sep 2, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

I had to photograph this fellow. He was such a charecter.

Cheers,

Hera Bell

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Great shot. Interesting subject and location.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's a really interesting shot. I'd like it closer on him, but that might not have been possible. Compositionally it works really well as is, but it just leaves you wanting a closer look...

-Ray

4. Hi,

It can be cropped. The shot was composed as I shown you. The resolution is high enough to crop it.

Thanks for commenting. I appriciate your thoughts and suggestions.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great shot!! I like the original but the cropped version is better!

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like both crops -- the first seems to emphasize lonliness, the second the gentleman's character. Thanks for sharing.

7. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I really like the cropped version, it has much more impact for me.

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I like the original as I get more emotional info from it. It also works better.
    The legs with the columns are wonderful. The structure behind him looks like it's a place he feels safe and secure. It's the strength that he's leaning on in the world he's living in.

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Tough one. I really like the cropped version - feel like it lets you in with the guy a lot more, which I was sort of craving with the full shot. And yet the full one is a more interesting composition and, as Don said, the legs are really an interesting part of the story that wouldn't be told in just the cropped one. But I find myself spending more time on the cropped version. So I'm gonna wimp out and stay undecided, but I'm grateful to be able to see both.

-Ray

10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I still prefer the crop because I want to see his facial expression. From the framing it's still possible to see that he's leaning into something solid and safe and his body language also lends itself to this supposition. The perspective in the uncropped version adds to the fact that he looks small and vulnerable. It's a great capture whichever way you look at it anyway :)

11. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I like both, But, I prefer the original, it is more of an environmental portrait, that has a different, more social message.

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    G1 gets a free get out of trouble card!

13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks, I think?

Can I use it on my wife ?? :wink:

14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    hmmm, that part I haven't figured out yet....
    Mrs Shooter don't care about any of this stuff....
    I tell her I'm the Admin....
    "So what, admin my butt".... she says....

15. Thank you all. It is so refreshing you hear your comments. This is the reason I join very few Forums. I want to hear opinions, such suggestions.

Several of you got my message in the first shot as composed in the camera. His lonelyness, vulnability in a big city. It is more enviromental. His rough legs made a part of the shot as well.

But as a charecter portrait the crop brings us towards more of an intimate moment with the subject.

Cheers,

Hera

• Like Like x 1