A B&W Portrait In New York

StudioHeraBell

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had to photograph this fellow. He was such a charecter.

Cheers,

Hera Bell

That's a really interesting shot. I'd like it closer on him, but that might not have been possible. Compositionally it works really well as is, but it just leaves you wanting a closer look...

-Ray

StudioHeraBell

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi,

It can be cropped. The shot was composed as I shown you. The resolution is high enough to crop it.

Thanks for commenting. I appriciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I like the original as I get more emotional info from it. It also works better.
The legs with the columns are wonderful. The structure behind him looks like it's a place he feels safe and secure. It's the strength that he's leaning on in the world he's living in.

Tough one. I really like the cropped version - feel like it lets you in with the guy a lot more, which I was sort of craving with the full shot. And yet the full one is a more interesting composition and, as Don said, the legs are really an interesting part of the story that wouldn't be told in just the cropped one. But I find myself spending more time on the cropped version. So I'm gonna wimp out and stay undecided, but I'm grateful to be able to see both.

-Ray

Christilou

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I still prefer the crop because I want to see his facial expression. From the framing it's still possible to see that he's leaning into something solid and safe and his body language also lends itself to this supposition. The perspective in the uncropped version adds to the fact that he looks small and vulnerable. It's a great capture whichever way you look at it anyway :)

G1 User

Mu-43 Veteran
I like both, But, I prefer the original, it is more of an environmental portrait, that has a different, more social message.

StudioHeraBell

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you all. It is so refreshing you hear your comments. This is the reason I join very few Forums. I want to hear opinions, such suggestions.

Several of you got my message in the first shot as composed in the camera. His lonelyness, vulnability in a big city. It is more enviromental. His rough legs made a part of the shot as well.

But as a charecter portrait the crop brings us towards more of an intimate moment with the subject.

Cheers,

Hera