9mm fisheye bcl post-processing?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kadamnation, Mar 28, 2014.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Just got the new Oly 9mm BCL (it came back in stock on my birthday—thanks for the unexpected gift, Amazon!) I've never shot with any sort of fisheye before, or any lens wider than 24mm equivalent, so I'm having a blast!

I've seen other users post interesting shots here that were originally taken with fisheye lenses, either "de-fished" or otherwise altered in post to change the field of vue/distortion from the OOC image. I tried to find some of those threads to see if any of y'all had posted your workflow, but all I got was a bunch of complaint threads about the BCL's quality... I'm happy with what I have, I don't care a lot about maximum resolution or whatever, I'm just looking for advice on how to mess with the perspective and distortion. ;)

I'm using Lightroom 5, and have access to any other creative cloud applications. Any tips you could share with me for getting more out of this fun lens?

Thanks much!!

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've used LR 5 which does not entirely defish the image but since you're using LR5 yourself it will give you a starting point.

In the Lens Correction pane you go to the Manual tab and move the Distortion slider to the right, all the way. There will be some curvature left, but there will be less.

Lightroom allows people to create lens correction profiles and they can be shared. I forget the address but Adobe has a page listing profiles contributed by people which you can download. They may have some for the BCL 9mm but I haven't looked. Profiles are camera dependent but if they don't have one for your camera with the lens then I'd probably try any profile that is there and perhaps tinker a little with the distortion slider afterwards in order to fine tune the result a little.

There are other applications and plug ins which provide de-fishing capability but I haven't tried or gone looking at any. I just started playing with what I could do using LR5's distortion slider on its own and it has to be admitted that doing things that way is the cheapest and simplest approach but it certainly isn't the most effective or accurate approach to take.

Good luck, have fun, and post some results in due course.

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've used LR 5 which does not entirely defish the image but since you're using LR5 yourself it will give you a starting point.

In the Lens Correction pane you go to the Manual tab and move the Distortion slider to the right, all the way. There will be some curvature left, but there will be less.

Lightroom allows people to create lens correction profiles and they can be shared. I forget the address but Adobe has a page listing profiles contributed by people which you can download. They may have some for the BCL 9mm but I haven't looked. Profiles are camera dependent but if they don't have one for your camera with the lens then I'd probably try any profile that is there and perhaps tinker a little with the distortion slider afterwards in order to fine tune the result a little.

There are other applications and plug ins which provide de-fishing capability but I haven't tried or gone looking at any. I just started playing with what I could do using LR5's distortion slider on its own and it has to be admitted that doing things that way is the cheapest and simplest approach but it certainly isn't the most effective or accurate approach to take.

Good luck, have fun, and post some results in due course.