1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

9mm Body Cap Lens - profiles for Lightroom and ACR

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bruce McL, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I have some lens profiles and a Lightroom preset for the Olympus 9mm Body Cap Lens. Feel free to try them out.

Olympus 9mm BCL tools.zip

version 1.5, released February 23, 2016

Olympus BCL 9mm de-fish preset:

add vignetting correction in Lens Correction: Manual: Lens Vignetting
    -major vignetting changes from version 1.0
    turn on "Remove Chromatic Aberration" in Lens Correction: Basic
    add micro contrast with Clarity setting
    turn on Lens Correction with type T profile

In the old preset I had a certain amount of vignetting correction dialed in (+10/11), but it looks best with no lens profile. I changed the settings to +30/25 for images de-fished with the lens profiles.

Lens profiles for Olympus Fisheye Body Cap Lens 9mm:

De-Fisheye type R
    De-Fisheye type S
    De-Fisheye type T

Type T is new in version 1.5, originally a JPEG profile specifically for the 9mm BCL that I found in Adobe Lens Downloader. Many thanks to the original, anonymous creator.

Profile distortion setting for straightest lines near the sides of the image:
    Type R - 90
    Type S - 94
    Type T - 102

Relative size of the middle of the image at the above settings:
    Type R - small
    Type S - large
    Type T - medium

To make these profiles I looked through a lot of lens profiles included with Adobe products and found some that seem to work well. I renamed the profiles, cleaned up some of the code, stripped out the vignetting and chromatic aberration sections, and saved RAW and JPEG versions.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Thanks for sharing these, I am looking forward to giving them a try although it will probably be a while before I have time.

3. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I hope some people find these useful. To be clear, I made these by hacking other profiles with a text editor.

The correct way to make a lens profile is with a camera stand, good lighting, a calibration chart, and Adobe software. The software and files to print the calibration chart are free from Adobe. I don't have a studio stand and lighting setup.

I enjoy looking through the adapted lens showcases on this forum. For someone who is really committed to a certain adapted lens and has a stand and lighting setup, it might be worth taking the time to make a lens profile for it.

4. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

A couple of photos from today, de-fished with these profiles. type R first, then type S.

P1000652.JPG

P1000708.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  5. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Thanks for posting your lens profiles. I've installed them, but it might be a while before I actually use the 9 mm lens as I love my 12-40 too much! When I do, I'll post some feedback.

I like the 9mm lens. The only downside to the 9mm body cap lens is that photos taken with it will not have any lens metadata in them, as there’s no electronics in the lens and therefore the camera doesn’t know what lens is attached. Fortunately, it’s possible to add lens information, which can be useful when sorting or searching photos. There are a few ways to do this. I tried using exiftool and the LensTagger plugin, but couldn’t get either to work.

What worked was to create a XMP file for each photo, save it in the same location as the photos, and then import them into Lightroom. The lens information is saved in Lightroom’s database, and in a sidecar XMP file if you have that option enabled in Lightroom or use the “Save Metadata to File” command. The advantage of this approach is that the metadata is not written into the original RAW file, avoiding the potential of corrupting the file.

The XMP file that I created contains the following:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/">
    <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="" xmlns:exif="http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/">
    <exif:FocalLength>9</exif:FocalLength>
    <exif:FocalLengthIn35mmFilm>18</exif:FocalLengthIn35mmFilm>
    <exif:FNumber>8</exif:FNumber>
    <exif:ApertureValue>6</exif:ApertureValue>
    </rdf:Description>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="" xmlns:aux="http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/">
    <aux:Lens>OLYMPUS 9mm F8.0</aux:Lens>
    </rdf:Description>
    </rdf:RDF>
    </x:xmpmeta>

Note that the ApertureValue of 6 converts to an F-stop of 8.0. There is a similar MaxApertureValue field, but I could not get Lightroom to read the information correctly, so I didn’t include it in the XMP file (Lightroom will record the maximum aperture value as 0/256 in the XMP file and display it as an F-stop of 1.0). As for the name of the lens, I used the same format that Olympus uses for their other Micro 4/3 lenses, but I left out the “M.” as it’s not an M.Zuiko lens.

The XMP file must be saved as a plain text file with the same name as the photo, and the extension XMP. Creating multiple versions of the same file is relatively easy in Mac OS X (I have no idea about Windows). I press Command-D to duplicate the file, and keep pressing it until I have as many XMP files as I need, then I bulk rename them to match the RAW file names (which are usually in sequence).

Edit: Crud! For some reason a colon followed by a capital letter D shows up above as a green emoticon. If you want to use the XMP text, copy and paste, and check that it contains "colon D" in each case.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  6. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I use exiftool to add exif data directly to my raw files. There is some risk to this. I did some testing on my files before adopting this, I suggest anyone interested do their own testing.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

This is a command line tool. I'm on a Mac and I was able to create a service menu using Automator that adds the data to my files. I select a bunch of files in the finder, right-click and select "Olympus 9mm fix" in the service menu, and in a few seconds the data is added to the files. The command I use in automator is:

set cmdLine to ("/usr/local/bin/exiftool -LensType='Olympus Fisheye Body Cap Lens 9mm' -LensModel='Olympus Fisheye Body Cap Lens 9mm' -Lens='Olympus Fisheye Body Cap Lens 9mm' -Fnumber='8.0' -FocalLength='9' -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat='18' -overwrite_original " & filePath) as string

Then I go into Lightroom, select the photos, right click and select "Read metadata from file" from the Metadata menu. It's a good idea to do this before you start editing the files.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Bruce, thanks for this...

I just tried it on a set of ORF files and it works OK except I noticed RawTherapee doesn't show the lens model (RT does show FL and f/8 in other fields).
    I looked at the EXIF info (with XnViewMP) and the LensType field isn't getting saved. Apparently it has to be a numeric code:
    Olympus Tags

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one for the 9mm.

fwiw, DigiCam seems to use the LensModel instead, so it looks fine.

For Windows users, you can put this in a .BAT batch file (or run it on the command line with *.JPG or *.ORF instead of %1):
    exiftool.exe -P -LensModel="Olympus Fisheye Body Cap Lens 9mm" -Lens="Olympus Fisheye Body Cap Lens 9mm" -Fnumber="8.0" -FocalLength="9" -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat="18" -overwrite_original %1

call as:
    exiftool-9mm.bat *.orf
    OR
    exiftool-9mm.bat *.jpg

Barry

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I'm glad to see someone else using exiftool Barry.

That’s interesting about the lack of an ID tag. My guess is that Olympus wants to make sure people understand they are “not serious” about this lens and the other body cap lens. They do not have Zuiko or M. Zuiko in their names either, unlike other Olympus lenses. I read that the naming was done for the same reason.

Apple has a Script Editor app which can be used to make little apps which work similarly to .BAT batch files in Windows. The command is more or less the same as the one I posted earlier.

I’m reluctant to post the full app and the service for downloading. Using tools like this does take more care than just opening Lightroom or Photoshop and working away.

Speaking of Lightroom, there is one guy who built a Lightroom Plugin that calls exiftool from inside Lightroom. I haven’t tried it, but here’s the link in case anyone is interested:

LensTagger Lightroom plugin

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. joerg218

joerg218 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2015
    Germany
    I use ExifTool too.
    In the past for calculate the focal lenght and f-stop with a 2X Teleconverter on my old Canon Stuff and saved it in the Exifs.
    Today i use it to give the 9mm Fish Exifs.
    But i'll use the String above next time, my String looks like this:
    -FocalLength=9 -Fnumber=8 -exif:LensModel="Olympus Body Cap Lens 9mm 1:8.0"

And thanks for the De-Fish profiles, i'll have a try next time at Lightroom.

Joerg

11. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I see you were using a slightly different name for the lens than I do. I looked on the Olympus website for a name. Your name is more like what is written on the lens itself:

Olympus Lens 9mm 1:8.0 FISHEYE

Why all caps for fisheye, Olympus? That would not look good in Lightroom! :)

Glad to see another exiftool user, and I hope you like the lens profiles. I think they turned out very well.

12. joerg218

joerg218 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2015
    Germany
    I copied the unzipped folder to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0, but also after restarting Lightroom i can't select them.
    Is there something else i have to do?

The name for the lens i have from the official German Olympus website, where they named it:
    "Body Cap Lens 9mm 1:8.0"

13. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I'm on a Mac, so things are a bit different. However, I think you need to put the lens profiles in ...\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\ rather than in the Lightroom area. When they show up, they should look like this:

ScreenShot3.JPG

Interesting that the name of the lens on the German website is different than on the English website. I guess the name written on the lens is the most accurate, but no way am I putting "FISHEYE" in my exif! :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. joerg218

joerg218 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2015
    Germany
    Thank you.
    The path has to be C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles

15. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

The de-fish lens profile package has been updated to version 1.5. See the first post for a link to the new version.