9mm BCL lens correction?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcm5, Aug 7, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    What do you all use to correct for distortion for UWA lenses? I use Lightroom 5 and messed around with the "Lens Correction" --> "Transform" --> "Distortion" section of the program, but are there other better options? It seems like I have to constrain crop and I lose some of the width of the pictures...

any help appreciated!

EDIT: actually, I'm interested in this question not just for the 9mm BCL but for something like the 7.5, 7-14, 9-18, etc. I just happen to be using the 9mm BCL as I do not own those lenses (yet! :smile:)

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Any fisheye distortion correction will crop the image. The 9-18 and 7-14 are rectilinear lenses and this is not an issue.

I like the fisheye look sometimes.

3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I also have the 9mm BCL and Lightroom 5.

I use the Sigma 10mm profile which works very well (you find it in the Lens correction panel -> profile tab and then in the drop down list). It does stretch out the corners and crop out a fair bit but you wont get away from that if you want to correct the distortion...

Sometimes I just manually transform a bit if the full correction is too much (Lens correction panel -> manual tab)

Often I leave them as they are if it suits the subject.