96-Hour Post Processing Challenge #683 - Winners announced

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
96-Hour Post Processing Challenge #683
Once upon a time (2019) things were different (pre Covid). I used to go outside and had no fears of crowds. I hadn't discovered RAW or post processing (apart from a bit of straightening and a few tweaks) so had tens of thousands of photos untouched by AI. So from that era I propose a picture taken at Durham Cathedral during the "Durham Lumiere 2019" for the next challenge.

P1220852.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jpeg can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jwwgnc3z1huoz6/P1220852.JPG?dl=0

As I'm away on Saturday the Challenge closes at 10am GMT on Sunday 1st August.

96-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  1. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  2. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  3. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  4. The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge
Notes:
  • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
P1220852_DxO_edited.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek

P1220852dtlcaDN1.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1
P1220852_DxO_Web.jpg

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Entry, the first:

PPC_683_DeeJayK_1.jpg

Process (in LR):
  1. Cropped to 1:1 to remove the "dead" space on the left while retaining the main luminarie in the doorway as well as those in the courtyard.
  2. Straightened a bit — I had a hard time deciding which line to go off in deciding what should be level/ plumb, but settled on the vertical edge of the doorway at the right third, then cheated it back just a little.
  3. Added a lot of "Dehaze" (which is among the most powerful tools LR offers IMO)
  4. Spent a lot of time adjusting Hue, Luminance and Saturation of the individual color channels, particularly the orange and yellow, until I achieved the look I liked
  5. Added a tough of overall sharpening
  6. Reduced the luminance smoothing
  7. Added a little bit of post-crop vignetting
  8. Added a touch of grain
- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Entry, the second:

PPC_683_DeeJayK_2.jpg

Process (in LR):

1. Cropped the middle portion (9x16) to remove the "distraction" of the luminaries in the courtyard on the right and highlight the verticality of the doorway
  2. Straightened to make the lines of the background building at the top plumb
  3. Brought up the exposure and played with the highlights, shadows, whites and blacks to get the light right/ balanced
  4. Converted to B&W and played with the color channels, bringing the orange, yellow, green and aqua channels down and bumping up the purple
  5. Reduced contrast, texture, clarity and dehaze to give a more "ethereal" look
  6. Added just a touch or sharpening
  7. Added a tiny bit of post-crop vignette
  8. Added quite a bit of grain to give more of a vintage film look
- K

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
P1220852e.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Initial tweaks in Adobe Camera Raw: Exposure, White Balance in Basics Panel. A global range mask (Luminance) devoted to the shadows. Perspective correction and 1:1 crop.
In Photoshop, applying Lens Blur and Oil Paint filters selectively to the background, leaving the illuminated glass of the votive candle sharp.

P1220852-1.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2
Edit: I have a new version I like better!
P1220852_DxO_Web_2-1.jpg

Working on a JPEG is not my favourite for PP, but it is challenging to do so, so thanks for forcing me!
I might revisit the colour entry to see if I can find a way to make it more to my liking.

I love this challenge! It makes me try to stretch my mind!

Last edited:

todd phillips

Mu-43 Top Veteran
20210728183617-eecc3e48.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #3
A rework of my first entry, the colour one.
P1220852_DxO_Web_4.jpg

Oops! I think I forgot that we are only allowed 2 entries! ;)
So forget about the first one!

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran

P1220852e2.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#2 B&W
P1220852_DxO_edited_BW.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
It's a "Lumiere Festival" after all 🙂

P1220852lca22DN.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I don’t know why I should be, but I’m always amazed at what you all are able to achieve for each competition. My image appears to have inspired you all and each submission has a different nuance in terms of colours, what to crop, how much to straighten, distortion correction etc. Congratulations to you all for improving the original JPEG image.

I also need to thank @BosseBe for his comments “Working on a JPEG is not my favourite for PP, but it is challenging to do so, so thanks for forcing me! “ which provided me with further inspiration to start revisiting some of my previous un-processed JPEG images to see what my current “skills” can do.

I have categorised the submissions into two (i) what could be done to improve a poorly lit, high ISO, JPEG image taken under duress (“Not another photo .. don’t you have enough?”) and (ii) the “Arty” ones.

Winner of the “Arty” category was hard as I like B&W but I loved @Hendrik with his Monet (?) inspired interpretation.

As regards the "Main" category - Runner up is @frankmulder #1 – I like the colours, distortion correction and crop.

Overall winner is @todd phillips – This is the image I had envisaged - I like the colours and crop, distortion correction and the amount of additional sharpening applied.

Over to you Todd!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom