1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

90mm Summicrons (version?) - experience?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shawngibson, Aug 23, 2010.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Hi guys, I've seen some pics of this lens with beautiful bokeh, as in instantly caught my attention.

Trouble is I don't know where I saw those images and in looking, there are numerous versions available. Do the older/less expensive (circa $1000) ones perform beautifully wide-open?

It would be for one-person portraits, most often converted to BW, if that makes a difference...

Shooting mainly with a Canon 5D and 85/1.2L I always lusted for the 200/1.8 (and used my friend's 70-200/2.8IS often). This Summicron seems close to the 200/1.8 for m43, to me:)

2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Older Summicron-M E48 version. The "Big Chrome lens".

Wide-Open on the M8:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, Leica Mount, wide-open on the M8. For comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each lens was under $300.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The Canon 85mm F2 in Leica Mount is also worth considering. It often goes for less than either of the abive.

Mine was under $100.

Canon 85/2 Leica Mount, wide-open on the M8.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Canon and Leica are a Planar formula lenses, the Nikkor is a Sonnar formula lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks Brian:)

These are all attractive, OOF areas I mean. The hard part for me is judging which is sharpest in the focused areas. I know portraits aren't usually considered for their sharpness, but I like sharp, highly resolved eyes.

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The Nikkor is the sharpest of the three.

The Nikkor-P 8.5cm F2 in Leica thread mount is also worth looking at.

Wide-Open on the M8:

[​IMG]
    Tight Crop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of these four lenses, I use the 8.5cm f2 on the EP2 quite a bit. It is much smaller than the other three lenses, and well balanced on the EP2.

I have a number of lenses in this focal length range, also a Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 and a collapsible 9cm F4 Elmar. I grab the Nikkor 8.5cm f2 most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. amoebahydra

amoebahydra Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Version of 90 Summicron...

This is the E48 first version ... Summicron 1:2/90
    PanG-1LeicaM90-201stgen.

The second version is Summicron-M 1:2/90
    PanG-1LeicaM90-202ndgen.

The latest version is Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/90 ASPH
    PanG-1LeicaM90-20Apo-ASPH.

For bokeh, the best is the first version and the sharpest is the latest version.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks amoebahydra:)

Now I know what to look for, when looking at images (i.e. the names of the lenses). It was definitely the bokeh that drew me, in images (I believe all by one person/different shoots) where it was a single person and they looked nice and sharp, but the bokeh was stellar. That sharpness could very well have been PS work, or the illusion of looking at web-based mini-JPEGS, who knows. I just discovered a store that specializes in old, HQ lenses in Toronto, so I'll grab an adaptor and head over.

On that note, what would you guys recommend for a Leica (M I suppose) adaptor on E-P2? I'm sure this has been asked a million times, sorry! I would rather spend money on a good one, so $ isn't the issue at all...quality/fit etc. are.

ps my vanity kicks in too...I like the chrome versions lol, always did like chrome M glass, visually:) They would go awesome with the first generation Rebel (silver). LOL. That would peeve a few overly-tightened afficionados, I'm sure:)

Dumbest looking contraption I ever had was the Rebel and 15mm AIS Nikkor...wow did I get looks lol...