9 Most Expensive Photographs In the World

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by synthetictone, Aug 13, 2014.

1. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Check this list of prized photographs

It's really amazing that some are willing to pay so much for probably what many of us would call so little. I am especially amused and bewildered by the one of the cowboy. It is grainy because it was a photograph of an advertisement. How did that not fall under some type of copyright infringement?

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Meh, those aren't expensive. This photo:

350px-Mars_Observer_-_m1.

Cost $490 million. There's a second one taken an hour later, also $490 million.

Now that's expensive!

(Mars Observer, cost $980 million and only took two pictures of Mars from a distance before failing)

Anyway, art valuations - photography or not - have nothing to do with the quality of the work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I'm apparently either a Philistine or a dinosaur. The only one I like is the Steichen.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I bet if an Ansel Adams printed original of "Moonrise, Hernandez , New Mexico" in top-notch condition were to come up for sale nowadays, it would make that list - despite the fact that he personally made over 1300 prints of that negative.

5. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Ain't that the truth!

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    This came up somewhere else before (DP review?). I thought the comments were more interesting than the photos. What do I know.