1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

9 for the price of 3 !

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Jan 22, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, maybe this isn't a surprise to others (I'm easily impressed), but I've just found a cool and interesting feature on my new E-P5 (and I suspect present on the E-M5, E-M1, E-PL5, E-PM2 and maybe others). If I set AE bracketing and ISO bracketing, I get more files than exposures. A 3 frame AE bracket and a 3 frame ISO bracket causes the camera to take three shots, but it generates nine files - 3 ISO variants at each exposure position. For example, if I set the camera like this:

- ISO 400
    - 3 frame AE bracket at 1EV
    - 3 frame ISO bracket at 1EV

I get:

3 frames at 0EV at ISO 200, 400 and 800
    3 frames at -1EV at ISO 200, 400 and 800
    3 frames at +1EV at ISO 200, 400 and 800

Aside from the fact that you can do AE and ISO bracketing simultaneously, it's interesting that multiple ISOs can be had from a single exposure. The camera is either reading the sensor data 3 times at different amplification levels, or else doing software processing to vary the ISO.

This technology is really superb...

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The more I hear the more I want one of these cameras - GAS attack!!

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My only consideration would be the charts I've seen of how analog ISO increments vs software approximations look. Typically at a sensor's "native" analog ISO gains the noise can be much less than the increments (often the one in between standard ISO stops, but not always that simple), which are the result of interpolation and can look pretty ugly. I've seen ISO 800 examples that are much better than 640, etc.