1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

9-18 or nothing?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Klorenzo, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi, I'm tempted by the Olympus cashback offer. I can get the 9-18 for 325 euro + shipping.

I have the Oly 12-40 and the 9mm BCL and I recently found out that the BCL is a lot wider than the 12mm, even defished. So...you know...I'm wondering if...maybe I should...it's a good offer...

But I just got the 75-300 and this quarter budget is gone. And the 9-18 never really was on my wishlist.

So, the real question: is the 9-11mm range worth the price and the space? If you have both do you bring around and use the 9-18 much or is a "just in case" lens often left at home to save space?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I got a 4/3rds 9-18mm for about £200 and that seems the sweet spot price for a really useful lens.
    I love it!
    My advice is to buy it and spend a week finding out what the heck to do with it, which is fun.
    Then you can sell your 9mm toy lens.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I used to have 9-18 as my main lens for about a year, but then sold it when 12-35/2.8 came out. Now I have Pany 7-14 as my UWA. So my advice will be: save money for used 7-14 - you'll probably see some good deals as Oly 7-14/2.8 finally hits market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Do you mind me asking where you found that price? Even with the cashback I haven't found anything near as low as that where I am (Spain).

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One thing to keep in mind is that the 9mm BCL , being a fisheye, is a LOT wider than the 9mm end of the 9-18mm. It's still much wider than 12mm, but it's not as wide as you might be expecting if comparing to the 9mm BCL.

diagonal FOV:
    9mm BCL = 140 degrees
    9-18mm = 100 degrees
    12-40mm = 84 degrees

Here's a visualization. You can use the 18mm and 24mm lines on this FF shot as a comparison point for the 9mm and 12mm zoom lenses on m4/3: http://snapsort.com/learn/lens/focal-length/images/15mm-wide-angle-vancouver-cityscape.jpg

The 9mm BCL is even wider than the 15mm shown in that shot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I was wrong on the offer I saw before, ops, the best one I can find right now is around 503 euro - 150 cashback = 353

http://www.braunet.it/catalogo-prod...us-obiettivo-mzuiko-digital-ed-9-18-mm-f40-56

Maybe is a gray market importer.

Thanks for the other answers, I'll try to resist for now :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Thanks Klorenzo. I am in much the same position, until now I have seen this lens as out of my price range, the cashback has pushed it into the range where I am tempted ... but I have the Panasonic 12-32mm and am not sure how much I would really use the 9-11mm range.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    9-18 and 14-140 Mk. II are my main travel lenses. I have looked at the 12-40 & similar but for my shooting I consider 12 to be the minimum wide angle to give building interiors, caves, etc. a sense of space, with going to 9mm being much better. I had a 12/2 for a while, the theory being it would be better for low-light interiors but I recently sold it due to lack of use. The fact that the 9-18 is tiny and light weight just adds frosting to the travel lens cake.

For landscapes the extra width is not a big deal because for anything I really like I shoot a stitch pano and for things I just like a little bit I use the in-camera pano of my GX7.

I guess the question for you is: How often are you shooting at 12mm and wishing you could go significantly wider?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    @alan1972@alan1972 I can tell you that I had a few doubts with the 75-300 and I'm enjoying it a lot and this is also a reason why I'm considering the 9-18 too. But I'm also close to my "total lens weight limit", I do not know about you.

Also consider that you can resell it for the same price you pay it today. And I think that in the end, if you never used an UWA before, there is only one way to know if you are going to like it.

At the same time doing stitching can give you a wider view than any lens can and I usually try to avoid to spend money just to save money :)

I got this picture with the BCL and it was: "wow this is wide, there is a lot of stuff in the foreground!"

18366505938_c518531551_c.

But I'm quite sure that in this specific situation I could have got the same pictures taking two steps back, I have no idea if the change in perspective in this case would be significant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    IMO, it's not wide enough to be worth the expense and weight in the kit if you already have a good 12mm. To go wider than 12mm, I'd either go 7.5fish or 7-14.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 9-18 is pretty small and compact. I get a lot of use out of it... works very will with IR. I also have the 12mm f/2.

12. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    If you like the width of the 9bcl and don't mind that it's a fisheye, the Samyang 7.5mm 3.5 is an excellent and very cheap lens and defishes pretty well apparently too.

The 9-18mm won't be nearly as wide as others have stated, the 7-14mm would be closer. For a brief period I owned the 12-40, 7-14 and 9-18, and the 9-18 provided an angle of view directly in the middle of the range when compared to the 7 and 12mm ranges of the other lenses. Usually you can get similar framing (but not perspective) with the 12-40 than you would with the 9-18 by taking a step or two back, while the 7-14 is quite significantly wider than 12-40's wide end.

The 9-18mm lens is tiny and light though, it hardly takes up any space unless you have a very small bag. It also takes filters. The collapsing design is annoying, however.

13. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Yes and no.

I travel with the O9-18, P14-45 and O40-150. Am happy with the 9-18 because of often being frustrated by 14mm.

At home the O12-40 replaces the P14-45. I don't usually carry the 9-18 because I mostly use it for interiors while traveling. However, the 9-18 goes in the bag when I think I'll want it because 12 ain't 10 or 9.

>is it worth the price?
    My lens budget allows me to own lenses I use occasionally. If it didn't, and I traveled with the O12-40, I doubt I would have bought the 9-18.

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    If you can get the 9-18 for less than 400€, I'd say go for it, you can always sell it forward if you don't like it. I had that lens for less than a year, but I didn't find enough use for it. In most cases my 12-40mm is wide enough and if I wanted really wide to really distort the perspective, the 9mm just wasn't wide enough either. If Olympus made a 9mm rectilinear prime lens, f4 or faster, and it was optically as good as the 12-40mm (9-18mm isn't even close), I just might buy that. But at the moment I'm pretty happy with my 7.5mm and 9mm fisheye lenses. You might have only GAS...just saying. :p

15. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    Personally I never bonded with the 9-18mm, optically I didn't find it worth the price tag. I would go for a secondhand 12-35 pana if it within ur budget, or the 20mm bundled with a 8mm samyang. But of course, to each his own. Good luck!

16. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    I recently replaced my 7-14/4 with the 9-18 as I wanted something smaller/lighter and also take advantage of the cashback offer so was worth a try..

The lens only weighs 120g and very compact (in storage mode) which is considerably difference to the 7-14... That said, 7mm is noticably wider than 9mm and I would say the Panasonic is sharper across the frame...

That said, it's easy enough to apply some additional sharpening in post and I like the rendering of the 9-18 so I'm enjoying using this lens so far... I would prefer the width of the 7mm but my M43 system criteria is to make it as portable as possible so happy to compromise on this.... Would love a small 7mm f/4 prime (pls Panasonic/Olympus) but not sure if we will ever see one!

17. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I recently re-bought the 9-18 after a few years of being away from the m4/3 format. Managed to get a very good deal on an Olympus E-M10 and decided to get the Panasonic 20mm and the Olympus 9-18 as well. I value size and weight these days and this combo is very small and light, with sufficient quality for me (I used to make 60x40 cm prints with the 9-18 and E-PL2 a few years ago and they looked fine to me so I am sure the E-M10 will only improve on that). I managed to get the 9-18 for 309 euro after the cashback, which is a great price for this lens, given the IQ it can produce and the very very small space it takes up in my bag. The nice thing about this lens is that it can also function as a walk around lens due to the 36mm equivalent when zoomed in, no need to change the lens to often if you like wide-angle to "normal" perspective.

18. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    Get it, its a no brainer for this price. I have a Panasonic 7-14 and I really missed using filters on it so got a 9-18. Now I use both. When I want to go really small or want to use filters stopped down on a tripod I get the 9-18. When shooting interiors hand held and need absolutely sharp edges even wide open use the 7-14.

19. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Yes! A 7mm or 8mm prime would be great. f4.0 is plenty fast enough for my needs. I'd even settle for manual focus, though would pay the premium for AF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1