1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

8TB external HDD = $124

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkbslc, Nov 28, 2018.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. mike3996

mike3996 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Finland
    Very affordable indeed. A raid 1 on that won't cost you an arm or a leg...

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I probably wouldn't try to RAID over USB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rlb

rlb Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2017
    NJ
    Rob
    A good deal, but FWIW every external (3+) and internal (5+) seagate I've owned has died on me. I stopped buying them about 5 years ago and haven't had a drive fail since.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I've got 6-7 seagate drives across my various devices and none have failed. A few are 10 years old.

I wouldn't blame you for not using Seagate anymore with your track record, though!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Actually I would NOT do a RAID with multiple USB drives.
    Better to get a RAID unit with all the drives in that one box, and a single USB cable to the computer.

7. rlb

rlb Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2017
    NJ
    Rob
    Glad you've had some luck with them! It's funny how people tend to have good luck in one HD brand and bad luck in another.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I actually don't recommend RAID at all for 99.9% of home users. RAID is for availability, not data protection. 99.9% of home users can spare a little downtime until they can switch to a backup copy. With RAID you still need that backup copy, so you are just adding extra drives and complexity for uptime you don't really need.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Not only that but RAID is a complication that 99.9% of the home users don't need/want.
    It also confuses the average person. I recall reading where someone thought that RAID-1 mirror, would protect him if he accidentally deleted a file, and was upset when he could not get back his deleted file. So that person confused mirror with backup.
    Even I would rather deal with a bunch of single drives than a RAID.

Sad story1.
    I worked for a company where the IT guy would boot the server, then walk to the next server to boot it, and kept going down down the line of servers, never reading the boot/startup messages on any of the servers. It took to long to wait for and read the messages.
    So he never saw the message that one of drives in the RAID-5 (stripped + parity) array of one server had failed.
    So at that point, that array was running in RAID-0 (stripped, no parity). It was 1 failed drive away from total failure and a need to do a restore.​

Sad story2
    I do not remember if it was at the same time that the IT director had laid off the guy that was doing the server backups, and no one took over that backup function. So for 3 months, NONE of the company servers were being backed up. :mad:  And the not taking backups would have gone longer, if we had not asked, who was doing the back ups now that person X was gone. It was at that point that the IT director lost all credibility with the Finance dept, and we took over backing up the Finance servers.
    While I was there, we never did turn over the SAP servers to IT. Those servers stayed under total control of the Finance dept. That was because with the above 2 incidents, IT had lost credibility and respect with the Finance dept.

Credibility and respect are easily lost and very hard to regain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mike3996

mike3996 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Finland
    That's why you yank the drives out of the enclosures and throw them to your NAS drive bay ;) 

Only use Seagate with a data redundancy plan in motion, hence my RAID comment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I have several Seagates, including the 8tb from Costco for about the same price. BackBlaze tests HD’s on an ongoing basis and publishes their results quarterly. Seagate usually is the highest performer. The one time I had an issue, Seagate replaced it ASAP. I would never rely on just one drive for general use or for back-up. That is the reason you have redundancy.

13. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    That's how the commercial ones I have seen are setup, and they seem to work ok

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

It's really model specific. The 4TB Seagate were not too reliable, but the 6, 8 and 10 TB were extremely reliable. Their worst single performer was a Western Digital, though.

Backblaze Drive Stats: 2018 Hard Drive Failure Rates

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.