8TB external HDD = $124

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
A good deal, but FWIW every external (3+) and internal (5+) seagate I've owned has died on me. I stopped buying them about 5 years ago and haven't had a drive fail since.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
A good deal, but FWIW every external (3+) and internal (5+) seagate I've owned has died on me. I stopped buying them about 5 years ago and haven't had a drive fail since.
I've got 6-7 seagate drives across my various devices and none have failed. A few are 10 years old.

I wouldn't blame you for not using Seagate anymore with your track record, though!

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
I've got 6-7 seagate drives across my various devices and none have failed. A few are 10 years old.

I wouldn't blame you for not using Seagate anymore with your track record, though!
Glad you've had some luck with them! It's funny how people tend to have good luck in one HD brand and bad luck in another.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Actually I would NOT do a RAID with multiple USB drives.
Better to get a RAID unit with all the drives in that one box, and a single USB cable to the computer.
I actually don't recommend RAID at all for 99.9% of home users. RAID is for availability, not data protection. 99.9% of home users can spare a little downtime until they can switch to a backup copy. With RAID you still need that backup copy, so you are just adding extra drives and complexity for uptime you don't really need.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I actually don't recommend RAID at all for 99.9% of home users. RAID is for availability, not data protection. 99.9% of home users can spare a little downtime until they can switch to a backup copy. With RAID you still need that backup copy, so you are just adding extra drives and complexity for uptime you don't really need.
Not only that but RAID is a complication that 99.9% of the home users don't need/want.
It also confuses the average person. I recall reading where someone thought that RAID-1 mirror, would protect him if he accidentally deleted a file, and was upset when he could not get back his deleted file. So that person confused mirror with backup.
Even I would rather deal with a bunch of single drives than a RAID.

Sad story1.
I worked for a company where the IT guy would boot the server, then walk to the next server to boot it, and kept going down down the line of servers, never reading the boot/startup messages on any of the servers. It took to long to wait for and read the messages.
So he never saw the message that one of drives in the RAID-5 (stripped + parity) array of one server had failed.
So at that point, that array was running in RAID-0 (stripped, no parity). It was 1 failed drive away from total failure and a need to do a restore.​

Sad story2
I do not remember if it was at the same time that the IT director had laid off the guy that was doing the server backups, and no one took over that backup function. So for 3 months, NONE of the company servers were being backed up. :mad: And the not taking backups would have gone longer, if we had not asked, who was doing the back ups now that person X was gone. It was at that point that the IT director lost all credibility with the Finance dept, and we took over backing up the Finance servers.
While I was there, we never did turn over the SAP servers to IT. Those servers stayed under total control of the Finance dept. That was because with the above 2 incidents, IT had lost credibility and respect with the Finance dept.
Credibility and respect are easily lost and very hard to regain.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
I probably wouldn't try to RAID over USB.
That's why you yank the drives out of the enclosures and throw them to your NAS drive bay ;)

Only use Seagate with a data redundancy plan in motion, hence my RAID comment.

runner girl

Mu-43 Veteran
I have several Seagates, including the 8tb from Costco for about the same price. BackBlaze tests HD’s on an ongoing basis and publishes their results quarterly. Seagate usually is the highest performer. The one time I had an issue, Seagate replaced it ASAP. I would never rely on just one drive for general use or for back-up. That is the reason you have redundancy.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom