8mm vs 7-14 mm vs 12-35.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by timgoesusa, Nov 5, 2012.

1. timgoesusa

timgoesusa Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Hey,
    Until so far i gathered for my omd 12mm 25mm 45mm 75mm.

Now i would like to buy a lens again. And doubting between 8mm panny 7-14 panny or just get my raingear covered and buy the new 12-35mm.

What do you think??

By the way check out my flickr: Flickr: timvanvliet79's Photostream

More than 2000 pics shot with omd and ep3 all exif included.

Grtz.

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    for maximum flexibility of a one lens kit the 12-35 is a winner in my book. i am eyeing on this lens next.

however for creative shots - either the fisheye or the ultra wide 7-14 will be nice.

i will cast my vote on the 7-14 based on your already fantastic kit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    As for the fisheye: I tend to like the first to pictures and then get bored by the ever same effect. But maybe that's just me...

You should ask yourself the following questions:
    - Do I often whish to have a wider view than 12mm?
    - Do I often swap between the 12, 25 and 45 and get really annoyed by it?

Depending on your answer you probably can already guess what I would recommend. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    How much do you shoot in the rain? How much ultra wide do you shoot?

Fisheyes require very little focusing. I think you'll get better performance (sharper) for a lot less monies if you purchased the non-AF Samyang 7.5mm fish. As mentioned before, the fish is a one trick pony, overuse sorta blunts the edge of that trick (like a LensBaby).

For my shooting I'd get the 7-14. Since you're shooting primes, personally, I suggest you get a second body. Generally, primes and two bodies significantly adds to the pleasurable end of the photographic experience and will increase your keeper rate.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Get the R 7.5 it is fun to use and cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Looking at the 1st 6 pages of your flickr, I see a lot of people shots and not much wide. Do you use your 12mm very much? How often do you wish you had something wider? I find personally that my ultra-wides are my least used, it's almost always for a special trip that they're used.

So it comes down to how you want to expand, new ways of seeing things, or being practical.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I use the S7.5 and the P12-35. love that setup. i would recommend it hands down.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    All of those lenses have very different purposes, so what you choose will depend entirely on what you would most like to be able to do. A fisheye lens produces a unique perspective, whereas the 12-35mm lens is a good mixture of quality and flexibility; the wide zooms have their uses, too, but beware of the internal reflection issue with the Panasonic 7-14mm when used with the OM-D - if you are after a wide zoom with that camera, consider the Olympus 9-18mm instead.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    lens dilema

"What do you think??"

I think you should buy the 12-35 for me .... I'll give it a good test drive for you and then you can have it back in feb !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. limpeh09

limpeh09 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Singapore
    I heard there is a wonderful fisheye from Belarus, the Peleng 8mm f/3.5. It also comes with a mft mount and looks solid.

11. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Hi Gary,
    Is there any problem with the 7-14 when used with EM5? Kept reading from this & other threads that problems exist & that it's better to use 9-18 with an EM5, no?

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yep, when shooting into a light source it has a tendency to CA up a lot, if you like purple then this is the lens for you.

But, LR and Aperture have easy fixes, (or just convert to B&W). The CA tools work very well and are pretty easy to use. I like this lens, CA and all, that 2mm difference is significant.

Gary

13. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Gotcha! Appreciate your confirmation.

14. My personal take on this is that after trying out a 7-14mm on my E-M5, the issue is too great for me to consider using this combination when I already have a perfectly good 9-18mm anyway. There are more than a few people that do use them together though so it obviously can be worked around if you can alter your position relative to the sun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    8mm vs 7-14 mm vs 12-35.

I'd suggest renting the 8mm if serious about it.
    It's limited purpose lens and unlikely to be used frequently by most shooters.
    7-14 or Oly 9-18mm is much better choice, as it's rectilinear.

• Like Like x 1