8k video not possible? Think again Panasonic!

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sharp won't sell many of them if that is the style and shape of the body. I certainly would be ashamed to walk around with that.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't care about the shape but if it allows an 8k photo mode that would be supreme for those that like capturing fast action type things also 8k is larger than 20mp (33mp). If Sharp have developed and made this sensor it would be a good fit for a Pen F mk 2 to offer much greater res for those that want it with that sensor shift super res they could be offering a res over 100mp. The sensor is the exciting part of it and the uses that it can be put to, sharp could quite easily make a good stills camera if they wanted to and have it sell well to those that want a high res but at the same time nice and light camera.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Sharp won't sell many of them if that is the style and shape of the body. I certainly would be ashamed to walk around with that.
It's a portable cine camera. Nobody 'walks around' casually with something like that. As long as it delivers results videographers will buy it.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I though photo/ video was a hobby or job, not a fashion statement.
I have no understanding at all if people wouldn’t use it because of looks.

Unless you are a 22 year old instagram celebrity.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Also I never got why Panasonic were saying 8k is not possiable on a 4/3 sensor when phones with tiny sensors have 4k, how many times larger is a 4/3 sensor? its a lot more then four times so it should be fairly possiable and does the GH5 not do 6k already. Now things like processing the data would be a similar task regardless of sensor size and the upping of resolution from the 20mp sensors is just over 1.5 times so there is really no reason.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - they seem to be doing ok with a similar style. That’s the first camera that came to my mind when I saw the pic of the Sharp camera on the rumors site.

I agree with you though that it wouldn’t likely be my cup of tea, for my walk around stills camera. But then again at around $5,000, that’s not what I would be purposing this camera for. There are lots of blocky looking video cameras. So whether it will sell based on looks, is a different matter.

——-

Last edited:

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A stabilized 8k camera with a 5" articulating screen is going to get a lot of hype on youtube, very cool. I'm glad to see M4/3 getting another interesting 3rd party body.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Also I never got why Panasonic were saying 8k is not possiable on a 4/3 sensor when phones with tiny sensors have 4k, how many times larger is a 4/3 sensor?

Diffraction, The higher the photosite density the sooner you will see diffraction related issues. A 36mp mft sensor will will have noticeable softness above ~f/4.9.

D

Deleted member 20897

Can we please, stop with the hyperbole???
The Panasonic manager never said it IS impossible and that it would not happen. He stated it "is complicated, if not impossible". If the interviewers were good journalists, there should have been follow up clarification questions.

It very well could be that the cost of developing it is not worth it since they are wanting to move into 135 size sensors.

The click baiting is incredible strong.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
It very well could be that the cost of developing it is not worth it since they are wanting to move into 135 size sensors.

Take a chill pill man.

Also, I don't think its the cost, I think the demand just isn't there. I know a lot of professionals who think 8k isn't really needed unless you are working on upper echelon projects.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Take a chill pill man.

Also, I don't think its the cost, I think the demand just isn't there. I know a lot of professionals who think 8k isn't really needed unless you are working on upper echelon projects.
I question how useful 8k video is to the average user but a good view film makers may find it useful for doing pans in post. If it is difraction limited though and it impacts quality too much then it may not be that good. I would think the proof will be in the using and the final output, where do the cameras like the Sony RX100 hit difraction limits? It would not just be the cost of the camera though, 8k would eat through hard drive space like there is no tommorow.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Panasonic knew that 8K was possible as the GH5S uses the Sony IMX299CJK sensor according to teardown at TechInsights.

TechInsights - Revealing the innovation others can't inside advanced technology

This sensor is based on a quad-bayer structure (see Sony PDF below) and if all pixels are used for resolution it would support 8k. Some Android phones do this today where they have a 40/48mp High-resolution mode and a 10/12mp mode based on the quad bayer design.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/img/products/IMX299CJK_Flyer.pdf

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Is it going to cost $5000? I have seen that number more than once, but not sure where it came from.

An EVF would be nice to have, though I don't see one in that video. Maybe they can add it later on in the production?

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
That's funny. The product shots show a $99 40-150 R on the camera. That's what everyone wanting the highest quality 8K video is going to want to use, right? :)

Also, I can't find any source where Panasonic said 8K 4/3 can't be done.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Can we please, stop with the hyperbole???
The Panasonic manager never said it IS impossible and that it would not happen. He stated it "is complicated, if not impossible". If the interviewers were good journalists, there should have been follow up clarification questions.
Honestly, it is all a tempest in a teakettle.

The important thing to recognize by now is that you should dismiss out of hand any new technical tidbit that is made by a middle manager, regional employee, salesperson, or social media representative.

The only time you should pay attention to technical details is when they come from a press release, or an interview with an engineer or a Japanese head office executive, ideally in the form of an interview with Imaging Resource's Dave Etchells.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
And no, there is not a single technical barrier to executing 8K on a 4/3" sensor. The pixels are nearly 4x larger than those on a 13MP iPhone shooting 4K video.

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is it going to cost $5000? I have seen that number more than once, but not sure where it came from.

An EVF would be nice to have, though I don't see one in that video. Maybe they can add it later on in the production?

My understanding is the rumor site said this will be the first 8k camera UNDER $5k, and the lack of reading comprehension for many people turned that into this will cost around $5k.

Latest threads

Top Bottom