8K/30 mp+ sensor for the Gh6.....

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
IMX530-AAQJ-C24.55MP5328×4608Color4/3″98Global

I'll take a couple of those, thank you! That's 98 fps (!) and global shutter. Could grab e.g. 30 photos and average them for a single, noise free photo.

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
IMX530 has been around since October 2019 and this is the first time I have heard anyone claiming that Panny would use this in their next MFT camera.
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201910/19-098E/

Sure, this is technically possible but the tradeoff is a permanent crop on everything and using undersized sensor means that light is not captured from every mm² that fits inside the m4/3 image circle.

That being said, 24MP sensor built with the latest available technology is what GH6 should have instead of silly 8k video.

Yeah, that would probably be my sweet spot as well (even more awesome if it has global shutter). A sensor capabile of 8k would be great for the format, but likely way too expensive for me.

With that said, any new body may be too expensive for me 😀. I tend to be a late adopter (currently use the EM5 mkii and eyeing used EM1 mkii prices a bit). Though, if they do something special like a global shutter that gets rid of the flash sync speed limitations, I may be willing to stretch.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I take it no one here cares about being diffraction limited or large prints?

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Since we are talking about dreams... I really want a GX8mk2 or EM5mk4 with a 24mp global shutter capable of 1/8000 off camera flash sync speed, 50 base iso w/ dual native iso on a stacked bsi sensor, 6.5 ibis w/ dual is support for 2nd/3rd party lenses, oly live composite, that fun sony dual format card slot x2, 4k 240p (60p prores raw internal) 10bit 422 internal with 32bit float audio, and decent video AF.

Then maybe a G9mk2/GH6 body with the same specs but higher res 40-48mp... and fine a 12mp one for low light people...

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
Rummors says it has confirmation on the Sony chip that it is 8k... https://www.43rumors.com/

Game changer if it is for real.....

If its under $2K this could be the next great Gh camera (with perhaps a G camera to follow). I don't need a Gh6 but in 6 months to a year a G type camera with the same sensor @$1500 would get my attention.

I read this as well, but didn't see where it said this was targeted toward consumer cameras? I know these 8k chips are used in high end security cameras, but haven't seen this talked about in regular cameras.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Overhyped/FUD. Not as big an issue as people on the internet claim it is.

I have to say I disagree with that.

I can see it pretty easily with my GH5 at times when working at 100% resolution. higher MP will only make that worse.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich

I can see it pretty easily with my GH5 at times when working at 100% resolution. higher MP will only make that worse.
I think that perhaps people are ignoring diffraction because if it's ALWAYS present (even with a lens wide open), then that is what you think of as the IQ of the lens/camera combo. I don't mean with your GH5, but I mean with higher res cameras that people are saying will be in diffraction territory from the word go. It's kind of like with any equipment that you are using - if you only have the one piece of equipment, with nothing to compare it to, you'll often think it is fine, unless there is something egregiously wrong with it. Just an idea.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
"At the beginning of November I got solid info that Sony will launch one new MFT sensor in 2021. I now got the confirmation this sensor will be able to record 8K video and have a 30+MP resolution. Now I have little doubt this is the sensor that Panasonic will use on the GH6."

I guess you didn't read the whole thing David, because he certainly is talking about it's use in a PROsumer/PRO camera.....

"At the beginning of November I got solid info that Sony will launch one new MFT sensor in 2021. I now got the confirmation this sensor will be able to record 8K video and have a 30+MP resolution. Now I have little doubt this is the sensor that Panasonic will use on the GH6."

I guess you didn't read the whole thing David, because he certainly is talking about it's use in a PROsumer/PRO camera.....

All information shows that video is driving the agenda.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is the one I would like to see. A 41MP sensor with 120fps sensor readout

qtj21580m8q3w.jpg.777dc5e227c18970aa2d69713476318b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 872216

Industrial and surveillance sensors are usually designed with controlled lighting in mind, as with robotics. They aren’t for available light photography. The Super35 studio cams from Panasonic, Canon, Sony, etc. are designed on this principle.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave

View attachment 872216
Ooh.. that's an interesting one.
By my calc, you need a 19.1mm X 13mm sensor to cover 17:9 to 4:3 for the full m43 diagonal of 21.6mm.
Full sensor diagonal of a 19.1X13mm sensor is 23.1mm which matches the specs of the IMX594.
If we use 8192 pixels on the 19.1mm side, then the 4:3, 16:9 and 17:9 pixel count all match.
So this could well be used as a multiaspect ratio sensor for m43 covering 17:9 to 4:3 at full m43 diagonal.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
There's a few variables, but an online calculator suggests that 30mp on a 4/3 sensor size gives a diffraction limit of f/5.3 . We'd have to change how we shoot in some situations but I could probably still cope with slight image degradation beyond that point. Focus stacking etc will become a more prominent feature if we're all trying to stay at f/4 or similar.

There's a few variables, but an online calculator suggests that 30mp on a 4/3 sensor size gives a diffraction limit of f/5.3 . We'd have to change how we shoot in some situations but I could probably still cope with slight image degradation beyond that point. Focus stacking etc will become a more prominent feature if we're all trying to stay at f/4 or similar.

You just described a studio production cinema camera, not an available light, stills photography camera.

The above-mentioned sensors would all perform worse for stills on ISO and visible diffraction than the current 20MP sensor.

For an 8k or 6k GH6, or BlackMagic, makes sense. Pricey.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu

Resize the image to the dimensions of the smaller sensor (and perhaps add some sharpening) and I guarantee the IQ is better from the new sensor.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ask some macro shooters and they will tell you that while degradation from diffraction sets in from f11 it really only becomes a problem from f16. For my underwater photography I regularly go to f16 to eliminate ambient light, because flash sync speed only allows me to go to 1/250s. Global shutter would allow me to open up my aperture alot but even now I don‘t have a problem going to f16. At f22 the image becomes notably soft. This is mostly using the Olympus 12-50mm lens at it‘s macro setting. I assume that lenses that are sharper out of the box (although I‘ve got a very good copy) will be even better at f16 and maybe even at f22, but I didn‘t try it when I had the Olympus 60mm for a few weeks.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Resize the image to the dimensions of the smaller sensor (and perhaps add some sharpening) and I guarantee the IQ is better from the new sensor.

Of course you can make video or stills look better with post process hand waving, but that's besides the point!

In general this topic always gets hand waved away, usually because people seems to only consider what a shot looks like after they have post processed it.

1. Of course a shot will look good when you have resized it to 1/4th, 1/8th or less of it's original resolution.
  2. Of course a shot will look good when its viewed form so far away that the individuals visual acuity is the dominant factor.
  3. A little Sharpening in post makes everything look better

However you can't hand wave a way the physics/optics of the issue!

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Who cares how the photo looks unprocessed? No one is ever going to see it. All these people who "hand wave" away the problems of smaller sensors are just realists who understand their use case instead of chasing "IQ" because "physics"...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom