8K/30 mp+ sensor for the Gh6.....

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Rummors says it has confirmation on the Sony chip that it is 8k... https://www.43rumors.com/

Game changer if it is for real.....

If its under $2K this could be the next great Gh camera (with perhaps a G camera to follow). I don't need a Gh6 but in 6 months to a year a G type camera with the same sensor @$1500 would get my attention.

Real Name
Mike Peters
Probably a similar sensor (albeit sliced, diced and stripped of the PDAF capability) as the Sony A7R IV.

As far as price, I very much doubt that they'd price at GH6 higher than the S5. What would be ideal is if they would push it into a G9/S5 type body with full stills capability baked into it, and paid upgrades available for those who need the highest video specs. Then they could effectively replace both the GH and G line with one camera.

However, with 8k, my fear is that a new GH camera might need to swing more towards the S1H direction for heat dissipation, rendering the GH line much more video centric. If they could ditch the G9 line and put the capability of that camera with the new sensor into something resembling the GX8, with tilting VF, keep the articulating screen, add the bigger battery from the S line into both camera (I'd hate that as I have MANY for both the GH/G and the smaller ones for the GX8, but I'd bite the bullet) then we'd have a more robust grip on the new GX. Two SD card slots on both though. No XQD, thankyouverymuch.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Rummors says it has confirmation on the Sony chip that it is 8k... https://www.43rumors.com/

Sony product portfolio says that this C8k@30p MFT sensor aka IMX492 has already been in mass production since last autumn.

Because nobody has shown any interest in launching 8k MFT cameras, Sony is currently selling only the industrial version of this design. Their 8k MFT design supports multi aspect ratio and is therefore a bit larger than MFT image circle (1.4)
https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/industry/product.html

What Sony is possibly launching this spring is the consumer camera version of this design under different name (5xxx has been mentioned in rumours). This is sort of good news because it might imply that somebody has finally use for this sensor which was apparently already ready for GH6 launch one year ago but was then not needed after all. At least I would be stunned if Sony has suddenly started creating several different MFT 8k sensor designs when even panny is clearly hoping that everyone just migrates to S5 so that they can quietly ramp down this product line.

Sony is already doing the very same thing with another MFT sensor
IMX299 is the "consumer camera sensor" that is used in BGH1/GH5S
IMX294 is the "security" version of the same sensor and listed under different portfolio.

Then a word or two about the price. Even the whimpy 4k MFT box aka BGH1 is currently more expensive than S5 at least here in Europe and old GH5S is selling for almost the same price. Therefore my educated guess for 8k GH6 list price - should we ever see one - is somewhere north of 2500€

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The BGH1 if far from a "Whimpy" camera if you are doing a multi-camera shoot requiring multi-camera processing in shooting as well as post. If 8K I would think that $2500-3000 US would make that one hot selling camera.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The BGH1 if far from a "Whimpy" camera if you are doing a multi-camera shoot requiring multi-camera processing in shooting as well as post. If 8K I would think that $2500-3000 US would make that one hot selling camera.

In terms of pricing that 4k olde worlde sensor based BGH1 is "whimpy" compared with this shining new 8k GH6 and therefore the latter one must have a substantial pricing premimum over the little box that could.

Anyway, you ended with exactly the same price estimate as I did. Should GH6 (or BGH2) ever come and should it be capable of C8K@30p which is exactly what this new Sony MFT sensor can do, price could be easily $1000€ higher than the current street price of Full Frame S5

I'd say that 8k BGH2 would make much more sense than trying to squeeze that amount of pixels into consumer ILC body when pretty much none of the existing lenses can support the required resolution. Just 8k video editing requires such investment in IT gear that whoever is willing to cough that sum up, might really build a streaming studio with 10 BGH2's.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And if you are a serious Indy movie producer or industrial videographer worth every penny. Its the configuration capability of the BGH1 that makes it special. Not a camera for 99% of users but for those who need the a camera configured in many different ways with the ability to be remotely controlled in a multi-camera shoot neither the S5 nor the Gh6 would be the proper tool. Price does not mean that something is the right tool. I have no need for either, but a G10 with that sensor might get my attention if it was $1500 or less and say had 10 bit 60fps 6K video.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Has anyone heard if they are still planning to do 3 different GH lines that was rumored last year (Think it was something like GH6, GHX6, GHR6)? There are also rumors of a GX10 out in the wild... but it remains to be seen if it's the GX8mk2 or the GX7mk4.

For me, I'm less concerned with an 8k sensor and care more about them irking every single thing they can out of it. Faster read out, faster flash sync speed, less rolling shutter, better DR, better low ISO/quality (don't really care about high iso performance... heresy I know!), and honestly more work with computational photography and better mobile connectivity (fix the apps!)

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Has anyone heard if they are still planning to do 3 different GH lines that was rumored last year (Think it was something like GH6, GHX6, GHR6)? There are also rumors of a GX10 out in the wild... but it remains to be seen if it's the GX8mk2 or the GX7mk4.

The last time someone from Panasonic has actually said anything about GH6 was five months ago when their imaging director Mr. Yamane was rambling for a good 15 minutes about S5 and FF system in a video but also threw in a oneliner "we are developing a successor model to the GH for video creators, so please stay tuned for that” for a good measure.

To be precise he only confirmed that panny had not outright stopped working on GH5 successor and some sort of project still existed in early September. That's the last we have ever heard of GH5 successor which in any case sounds more like a GH5S successor because panny had already earlier stated that MFT future - should there be one - lies in content creation.

Can't remember the source but in late summer there was an interview where someone from panny was asked about GX9 successor among other things and the answer was that he (whoever that was) really loves GX9 but unfortunately this is the next product category which smartphones will kill so no R&D investments can be justified.

Probably a similar sensor (albeit sliced, diced and stripped of the PDAF capability) as the Sony A7R IV.

As far as price, I very much doubt that they'd price at GH6 higher than the S5. What would be ideal is if they would push it into a G9/S5 type body with full stills capability baked into it, and paid upgrades available for those who need the highest video specs. Then they could effectively replace both the GH and G line with one camera.

However, with 8k, my fear is that a new GH camera might need to swing more towards the S1H direction for heat dissipation, rendering the GH line much more video centric. If they could ditch the G9 line and put the capability of that camera with the new sensor into something resembling the GX8, with tilting VF, keep the articulating screen, add the bigger battery from the S line into both camera (I'd hate that as I have MANY for both the GH/G and the smaller ones for the GX8, but I'd bite the bullet) then we'd have a more robust grip on the new GX. Two SD card slots on both though. No XQD, thankyouverymuch.

By definition 8k is videocentric.

The stills photo market is on life support. Video is the $$$

At this pixel density and image circle this is the type of sensor and camera designed for intentional lighting.

At 8k it’s all cabled SSD.

It will be priced at those who can edit 8k.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
8K implies 7680pixels on the long side in 16:9. If we have multiaspect ratio capabilities then it is slightly oversized as the 16:9 will take advantage of the full m43 image circle, rather than cropped in.
Doing the math, it'd then be ~41MP total on 18.8X13mm sensor, with 4:3 ratio coming in around 37.5MP.
It has almost exactly the same pixel density as current 20.xMP 1" sensors. So what's the bet it's a scaled up 1" Sony Semi design which are available in EXMOR RS (stacked) and EXMOR R.
In other words I think the performance will be very good, at least equaled to the current 20MP sensors.

I've always felt volume is m43's biggest barrier to getting up to date sensors so I guess when they switch, they'd need to aim high. As this might be what they'll have to make do with for the next number of years unless they're willing to pay extremely high prices for low volume customs.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Just had a gander at the IMX492 specs and it's 8k DCI at 8192pixels on the long side at 17:9. So my calcs will be off a little since I based it on 7680 at 16:9 if the new sensor will be based on the IMX492.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran

IMX530 has been around since October 2019 and this is the first time I have heard anyone claiming that Panny would use this in their next MFT camera.
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201910/19-098E/

Sure, this is technically possible but the tradeoff is a permanent crop on everything and using undersized sensor means that light is not captured from every mm² that fits inside the m4/3 image circle.

That being said, 24MP sensor built with the latest available technology is what GH6 should have instead of silly 8k video.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yup. 24mp sensor with global shutter is what I want. Happy with 20mp too. Preferably in a GX8 sized body. Stay away with your 8k nonsense...

However, if we can get global shutter out of a 30mp sensor, I'll take the resolution upgrade. Sony is close with the A1 on FF, so surely mu43 should be even closer...

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
A 30mp sensor in a Gx8 type body - with best available ibis , shutter mechanism , big evf etc would be incredible. Even if I had to sell most of my other gear, I'd do that.

It ain't going to happen.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A 30mp sensor in a Gx8 type body - with best available ibis , shutter mechanism , big evf etc would be incredible. Even if I had to sell most of my other gear, I'd do that.

Indeed. More's the shame. I've actually been using my GX8 a little bit lately, & I'm still realizing just how good a camera it really is. 6 years after I first got it. It's an amazing camera still today

amit

Mu-43 Veteran

A 30mp sensor in em5 METAL body + HHHR .
Now that is not going to happen :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom