Cinematic style shots .

rav

Mu-43 All-Pro
Dint see any thread related to cinematic style stills . hope we have all types of cinematic style shots posted here , I will start with some random cinematic style street shots .
Shot with Em10 and sigma 60mm
OI001067-05.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
OI001073-06-01.jpeg
OI000985-01.jpeg
OI001065-02.jpeg
OI001063-03.jpeg
OI001018-04.jpeg

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
this shot I took of my good friend Joseph Linashcke, who happens to be a Lumix Luminary and runs a very good website called

https://photoapps.expert.

We had just picked up a package from Panasonic and in it was the 35-100. I grabbed this shot in the car and processed it in a sort of cinematic style

14764018627_708dedd0f3_b.jpg
P8140197 by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

rav

Mu-43 All-Pro
what sort of processing do you use to get the cinematic look?
I used snapseed , basically cropping in 16:9 ratio and pulling down the saturation and playing around with warmth and blue tones and some vignette.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
what sort of processing do you use to get the cinematic look?

Apparently (and not definitely, 'cos I can see this is going to be waaaay too subjective), when in LR, you increase the blues for night shots or the yellows for day, reduce saturation by about 30, then use long horizontal and sort vertical cropping/ framing....as a starting point. Well, I experimented with this theory which resulted in the images below. Does this equate to "cinematic"? Dunno.

20208312248_e695bcfc36_k.jpg
Soho by Otim, on Flickr

19794806934_74cd835d89_k.jpg
Covent Garden by Otim, on Flickr

20239765089_060a8ec33d_k.jpg
Charing Cross by Otim, on Flickr

20417918305_8450b4b5d1_k.jpg
Greenwich by Otim, on Flickr

20620950835_b80ad9b76f_k.jpg
Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

I guess using a using a sharp lens may help achieve that sort of image? These images were taken mainly with the Olympus 12 & 75 primes.

rav

Mu-43 All-Pro
Apparently (and not definitely, 'cos I can see this is going to be waaaay too subjective), when in LR, you increase the blues for night shots or the yellows for day, reduce saturation by about 30, then use long horizontal and sort vertical cropping/ framing....as a starting point. Well, I experimented with this theory which resulted in the images below. Does this equate to "cinematic"? Dunno.

20208312248_e695bcfc36_k.jpg
Soho by Otim, on Flickr

19794806934_74cd835d89_k.jpg
Covent Garden by Otim, on Flickr

20239765089_060a8ec33d_k.jpg
Charing Cross by Otim, on Flickr

20417918305_8450b4b5d1_k.jpg
Greenwich by Otim, on Flickr

20620950835_b80ad9b76f_k.jpg

I guess using a using a sharp lens may help achieve that sort of image? These images were taken mainly with the Olympus 12 & 75 primes.
I agree its for sure very subjective thing, depends what kind of cinematic look you wish to give .
Loved your images and they do look very cinematic.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
What makes an image cinematic?
Fred

to me its if an image looks like a frame from a movie where the director is well aware of the effect of an image on the audience... to me its think David Lean, Orson Welles, Martin Scorsese, Sergio Leone... or probably more accurately with the work of their Directors of photography.

wide screen usually gets you close, but thats not exclusive... some film noir lighting on a 4:3 could also work

K

techsplorer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rodion "Rod" Molina
Here's a great article on the concept of cinematic photography

https://fstoppers.com/documentary/cinematic-look-how-make-your-photographs-look-films-27534

Sharing similarities with the approach of "tone" in music, I think a cimenatic tone in photography helps evoke specific emotions or attitude, making the photo feel more like a snapshot from a motion picture. The cues for this seem to be related to stylistic contrast, subdued color and storyboard composition. Letterbox framing also helps push it in that direction.

Last edited:

MichaelSewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
These are a couple from Saturday's shoot with Steve Hird, a local Cosplayer.
Batman.jpg
FaceOff.jpg

E-M1 and 40-150mm Pro

Last edited:

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Dint see any thread related to cinematic style stills . hope we have all types of cinematic style shots posted here , I will start with some random cinematic style street shots .
Shot with Em10 and sigma 60mm View attachment 103824 View attachment 103825 View attachment 103826 View attachment 103827 View attachment 103828 View attachment 103829

Nicely done. I like the grading (hey that's a cinematic term) you applied to the images. It's inspiring me to do more cinematic looks now. I'm not sure if I've done anything like that before.

Do these count as cinematic?

15042008579_5eb4721497_b.jpg

Monochrome Man by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr

15630979658_bdf6c717df_b.jpg

Autumn by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr

14010119131_437c3e1291_b.jpg

329/365 The sad reality by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I think the key is in the mood and emotion evoked. Technical execution is less important than framing and composition (especially use of traditional cinema camera angles and shot framing), plus more subtle qualities about colour, tone, and lens 'imperfections'. Letterbox format helps, but even in cinema it varies depending on what the objective or standard at the time is:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...09-g8O&usg=AFQjCNH5C5hClqD8fP3dvuOE--txb-oIeg

barry

Super Moderator
Let me know what you guys think of this... I'm struggling with the cropping (especially on the right side) and would appreciate any advice for making the rain more visible (or adding more rain). I do have the RAW file, fwiw.

Thanks,
Barry

E5218847-16.9 1600px.jpg

barry

Super Moderator
Another, in color this time, with heavier rain:
E5218850-16.9 1600px.jpg

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
OK, here goes on suggestions.

Crop: I'd crop on the right at the vertical line in the stones on the upright just to the right of where the parapet ends. I'd also crop a little on the bottom so that the angled dark line of the step just below the woman actually runs out at the right lower corner. I might also take a little off the left and top but the right and bottom are the 2 crops I would make first, followed perhaps by a bit of a crop at the top to produce a more wide screen image format, much wider than it is tall.

As far as the rain goes, it's hard to make rain itself visible but you can intensify the feel of it by making distant objects less clear so I'd reduce clarity slightly and lift the shadows of the background part of the scene above the top of the parapet so that central background area went lighter and greyer in tone, and a little less sharp. I'd also play with reducing sharpness there a bit. On the other hand I'd try to bring out a bit more detail in the woman's figure, the statue, and the area below the top of the parapet.

The other thing that lightening the tone of the background and opening up the foreground and figure will do is to increase the sense of front to back depth in the scene. It's possible to also intensify those depth cues by using graduated filters and you could use several, brushing out the areas you don't want them to affect. If you're using the CC version of Lightroom, you could also play with negative Dehaze amounts on that background and perhaps a bit of positive Dehaze on the figure and foreground.

It's a nice photo. I think you could do a fair bit with it. It's also possible that it might work better in colour because I don't think there's enough tonal difference between the figure and the roadway and parapet immediately behind her. It's going to be hard getting a tonal difference there in black and white but, depending on the colour of her clothing and umbrella, you may do better in colour if you're prepared to play around a little with desaturating the background slightly while leaving the as shot saturation alone for the woman and that immediate foreground.

If you use Lightroom, you can also play around with doing a black and white conversion by simply desaturating all of the 8 colour channels in the HSL panel. If you convert to black and white that way you'll find that the white balance, vibrance, and saturation sliders in the Basic panel and the saturation slider in the local adjustment options (brush, graduated filter, radial filter) will still have an effect plus you can adjust the relative darkness/lightness of the different colours by using the luminance sliders in the HSL panel. There's several ways of doing a black and white conversion in Lightroom and your editing options vary a little depending on which conversion option you choose.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here are a couple more (posted earlier elsewhere on this site) using the same PP technique I described earlier in this thread.

20353557993_198e5056e2_k.jpg
QVB by Otim, on Flickr

20849240941_7c763710bc_k.jpg

rav

Mu-43 All-Pro
2015-10-21 06.35.08 1-02.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom