8-18, wait for Oly 8-25, or Laowa 10

theswanlogo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Cata
I am going to guess the Olympus 8-25mm will be north of $900 when it comes out.
My un-educated guess is that it will approach 12-100/4 in weight (and size) and price. It's an 3x UWA-to-normal zoom after all.....(the existing/mentioned ones being only 2x zooms)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Keep an eye out and be patient. I picked up a pristine copy of the 8-18 from craigslist for $550 after watching it for 3 months. I got rid of the PL 15 and Samyang 7.5. Both great lenses, but the 8-18 is more serviceable for me.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Keep an eye out and be patient. I picked up a pristine copy of the 8-18 from craigslist for $550 after watching it for 3 months. I got rid of the PL 15 and Samyang 7.5. Both great lenses, but the 8-18 is more serviceable for me.
Yes I think I saw an 8-18 on dpreview for $600 yesterday. I paid a lot more for mine used and it was definitely a lot more used than the sellers photos showed.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Around $900 USD and around 300g would make 8-25mm f4 a good alternative to 7-14mm F2.8, and also complement the 12-45mm F4 well, which I assume will be the whole point of the lens and the upcoming telephoto zooms grouped with it on the roadmap.

Along with 12-45mm F4, the 8mm F1.8 might be another example of what to expect ($1000 USD, 315g, no manual focus clutch, no function button).

I chose E-M1 II + 12-100mm mostly because I found the 12-40mm too big for E-M5 III when I tried the combos in the store. If there was 12-45mm or 8-25mm back then, maybe I would be an E-M5 III user today instead.

I am not sure the delays of a $7500, ultra-limited, specialized lens like 150-400mm is an indication of what to expect for those waiting for more consumer level product like 8-25mm f4. But then again the removal of the Olympus name and the loss of the Matching Simulation from the Micro Four Thirds website doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.

dwkdnvr

Mu-43 Regular
I've been mulling over a wide lens for both photo and hopefully some video, and I think I'm amazed that we seem to have an embarassment of options and yet none of them seem to be exactly what I think I'm looking for. Probably just an indication that I'm locked in analysis paralysis. If the 10-25 were f/2.8 rather than f/1.7 and no bigger than the 12-100, and it was closer to $1k then it would probably be ideal but it's just too big and too expensive as it is. The 8-18 is probably what I'm closest to buying, but the lack of reach really means you're going to want to pair it with another lens and if you're doing that then maybe the 7-14/2.8 is more flexible. The 8-25 is intriguing, but f/4 just doesn't seem fast enough to be a complete solution.

I'd be surprised if the 8-25/4 is smaller than the 8-18 - wider zoom range, same aperture at the long end doesn't seem to be a recipe for a smaller lens - I'm guessing 400g or so, and $800-1000 seems to be what we have to accept at this point (i.e. basically the 12-40/2.8). Maybe Oly will sprinkle some of the magic dust they used in the 12-45 though - that really is a surprisingly small lens for what it offers. If they're willing to live with more software corrections than used in the 8-18, they might be able to squeeze it a bit. It doesn't sound like we should expect much concrete info on a release date soon, though - the recent interview seemed to suggest fall for announcements, but maybe we'll be surprised. (assuming it's still in the pipeline at all, of course)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The 8-18 is probably what I'm closest to buying, but the lack of reach really means you're going to want to pair it with another lens and if you're doing that then maybe the 7-14/2.8 is more flexible. The 8-25 is intriguing, but f/4 just doesn't seem fast enough to be a complete solution.
Not sure what you mean in this statement. The only thing I can think of is the constant 2.8 V the 2.8-4. If that's what it is, bear in mind that this is one stop. The difference between them when the 7-14 is at full extension is about 2/3 of a stop. If you don't need the extra mm in width, I think the 8-18 is the more flexible of the two.

The 8-18's stop chart is below. I was in your shoes about 6 months ago and when someone pointed this out to me, it closed the deal. Funny how we all know these things but it sometimes doesn't register until it's in black and white! (or in this case grey and white)

Capture.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I too am waiting for the 8-25 f4. I have the mZD 9-18, and I love its small size and UWA perspective. I've seen the PL 8-18 and think it's a very good lens, but it's also a little big and expensive, along the lines of the Oly Pro lenses. I'd like weather-sealing, especially for travel. I'm hoping the 8-25 f4 Pro hits the sweet spot, and is also affordable. The good thing is that we have choices!
Expensive, I agree on. The size is rather dimutive for what it is. I think that a 8-25 will be at least as big and probably heavier than the 8-18.

I was under the impression that it was properly large, untill I got one, though, so there is always that. :)

dwkdnvr

Mu-43 Regular
Not sure what you mean in this statement. The only thing I can think of is the constant 2.8 V the 2.8-4. If that's what it is, bear in mind that this is one stop. The difference between them when the 7-14 is at full extension is about 2/3 of a stop. If you don't need the extra mm in width, I think the 8-18 is the more flexible of the two.
I guess that was only a partially expressed thought. What I meant was that the 10-25 (or potentially upcoming 8-25) is attractive since it goes from UW to Normal, and can be a 'single lens solution' in many cases. The 8-18 doesn't quite extend up to the Normal range, meaning you're likely to add another lens to it in most cases to provide the extra reach. But IF you're carrying 2 lenses anyway, a 7-14/2.8 + other lens might be more flexible than 8-18 + other lens, particularly if 'other lens' was a 12-xx rather than just a prime.

I think part of my 'problem' with my thinking on this front is that I've been looking at the L-mount S5 recently. The S5 + 20-60 + 85/1.8 is actually a pretty attractive and flexible kit, although the 20-60 is variable aperture and actually slower than the 10-25 even after accounting for equivalence so it's not really apples-to-apples. But, you can get the S5 + 20-60 for not too much more than the 10-25 by itself at the moment, and I think I was looking to try to replicate the setup in M43 to see what it looked like.

The 8-18's stop chart is below. I was in your shoes about 6 months ago and when someone pointed this out to me, it closed the deal. Funny how we all know these things but it sometimes doesn't register until it's in black and white! (or in this case grey and white)

View attachment 882976
Hadn't seen that - slows down pretty gradually, which is nice.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom