7th Mu-43 Salon Competition - Capturing a unique moment

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by phrenic, May 28, 2012.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    One of my favorite aspects of photography is the idea that you can capture a unique moment in time and place that will never happen again. Once it's gone, it's gone and only the picture will remain as evidence.

(If you can retake the photo hours later changing your studio lighting or going back to the location the next day to re-create the shot, you're doing it wrong!)

Closing date: June 12th.

Shots can be from your portfolio or taken specifically for the competition.

Now for the Rules:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Shots can be uploaded from any gallery, Mu43 or whatever is your preference.

3. To enter your photo after uploading, copy the code in the Linked Image box and paste it into a reply to to this message. You can use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.

4. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

5. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

6. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Mu-43 Contests and Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. That opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

7. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

8. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun.

9. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I'll start...

Taken back when I had my E-P1 in 2010. I wonder if I'll find another before June 12? :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 6
  3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Let's invoke the HCs living inside us! ;-).
  4. JoepB

JoepB Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Not my best shot and not a contender, but it's what I thought of when I read the salon rules. (My entry is on page 4.)

My nephew about to receive his certificate when he graduated last month from the US Air Force Honor Guard Technical Training School.

Blair in position by foxtail_1, on Flickr
  6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY

That's my hand in the middle. Definitely can't get that shot back in a studio.
    • Like Like x 5
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 8
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Loving the variety of shots!
  9. smarikoe

smarikoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Snapped this one up of a friend on a recent wine trip to the hunter valley. Still not sure whether she was dreaming nostalgically or whether she was tired from the night before (it was a pretty early wake up). I like to think it was the former :)

10. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    This one, I shot on Sunday, in the local park where I walk/shoot very often.
    In 28 years that I live here, I have never seen this : 2 paragliders flying over the castle and the park ...

And I don't think I will ever see this again, because I heard later that the 2 were arrested for not respecting the rules of navigation.
    (this park is right below the final approach corridor for Brussels National Airport)

OM-D with Nikkor-UD 20/3.5

C U,
    • Like Like x 6
  11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    Yeah Raf you can call that Unique, because they got arrested for this shot:bravo-009:

I'm gonna take this opportunity to do some shots specifically on this purpose to test my technique and luck, for this interesting competition.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/slorenzi/6791010353/" title="Push!!! por sLorenzi, no Flickr"> 6791010353_d9100c9b63_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Push!!!"></a>
    • Like Like x 4
  13. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    S p l a s h e d !!!

• Like Like x 4
  14. srivastava

srivastava Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012

The joy of getting an ice-cream....

GX1 with PL25
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Target locked...FIRE!

G2+Rmc Tokina 400mm 5.6 Konica Hexanon AR mount
    • Like Like x 2
  16. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Came across this little guy in the park the other day.
    GF1 & 45-200 @84mm, ISO100, 1/500sec.

• Like Like x 1
  17. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Carpandean is unbeatable. Competition's on for runner-up!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  19. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    A lone runner, dwarfed by the sheer size of Zabriskie Point. He came out of nowhere, and descended down to the Golden Canyon. Some time later, after we had descended back to the valley floor and were headed to Badwater Basin, we encountered the same guy, running back in the direction of Furnace Creek Inn. Now THAT's determination.

It was so unearthly, otherworldly bright that I had to cup my hands around my face and eyes and STILL couldn't see what I was shooting. Discovered this when I got back home. Total surprise.

Lone Runner, Death Valley by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 21