7Artisans Lenses

Does anyone have any experience with these manual focus lenses? Are their low prices a warning of possible low quality or other issues?

John DiLeonardo

Mu-43 Regular
6B1DC2BA-C5FF-47D2-96DC-282ACEE91E3E.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I have the 25mm 1.8. The distance scale isn’t accurate and I find it a little finicky to focus. But it is a capable lens, this was taken with it on a YI-M1 camera.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Be aware that you need to take a Dremel to the 25mm lens and grind part of the lens mount away to use it with the E-M10 Mark II (and Mark III probably)

I like the 35mm f/1.2 but I like the focal length as a long standard on 4/3 and have a small collection of manual focus 35mm primes.

Real Name
Andrew L
I have the 25mm f1.8. It's a pretty good lens. The aperture ring is a bit wobbly but otherwise the build quality is great. Optics are quite decent. For what it's usually going for, it's a good buy, but it doesn't make a proper replacement for one of the cheaper native 25mm lenses.

I haven't used it, but there are a couple of good threads of sample images for the 7artisan lenses -
Showcase - 7Artisans 25mm f1.8 M43 mount
Showcase - 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 M4/3 mount

One thing I would say, the Oly & Panasonic AF 25mm f1.8/1.7 lenses are pretty great for the price - if you're looking for a cheap nifty-fifty type of lens it might be worth hunting around for one.

Thanks. I was curious because they just announced the launch of a 60mm macro lens.

I have the 25mm f1.8. It's a pretty good lens. The aperture ring is a bit wobbly but otherwise the build quality is great. Optics are quite decent. For what it's usually going for, it's a good buy, but it doesn't make a proper replacement for one of the cheaper native 25mm lenses.

Thanks. I was curious about the launch of their 60mm macro lens. Sounds as if I should stick with a native lens for macro.

Be aware that you need to take a Dremel to the 25mm lens and grind part of the lens mount away to use it with the E-M10 Mark II (and Mark III probably)

I like the 35mm f/1.2 but I like the focal length as a long standard on 4/3 and have a small collection of manual focus 35mm primes.

Thanks. Not sure I want to get into fiddling with a lens.

I haven't used it, but there are a couple of good threads of sample images for the 7artisan lenses -
Showcase - 7Artisans 25mm f1.8 M43 mount
Showcase - 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 M4/3 mount

One thing I would say, the Oly & Panasonic AF 25mm f1.8/1.7 lenses are pretty great for the price - if you're looking for a cheap nifty-fifty type of lens it might be worth hunting around for one.

Thanks, I'm actually contemplating purchasing a macro lens. They just announced a 60mm one.

Taz trooper

Mu-43 Regular
Have had a 7Artisans 25mm f1.8 for a couple of years. Very pleased with it, it was a permanent attachment to the front of my E-PL3 for about 9 months. Does have a click-less aperture ring, good build quality, and optically very acceptable.

Have had a 7Artisans 25mm f1.8 for a couple of years. Very pleased with it, it was a permanent attachment to the front of my E-PL3 for about 9 months. Does have a click-less aperture ring, good build quality, and optically very acceptable.

Thanks. In general, I'm hearing good things here and elsewhere.

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Does anyone have any experience with these manual focus lenses? Are their low prices a warning of possible low quality or other issues?

I have the 7Artisans 7.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye lens

With DXO-Pro as the post process program, set the distortion correction at fisheye 66% and this corrects in a click to be the most cost-effective ultra-wideangle available for micro 4/3.

The lens is very well made, smooth to focus and mount on camera.

As with most fisheyes the inherent distortion of the lens means that the rest of the lens can be of simple design - it doesn't need expensive aspheric elements to control aberrtion that are needed for rectilinear ultra-wides. Even at F2.8 it is sharp enough for most work.

No doubt - the alternative Olympus 8mm fisheye is a great lens...but it is far heavier and dramatically more expensive than the 7Artisans 7.5mm f/2.8. The 7Artisans also has excellent close focus.

If your salary depends on it buy the Olympus - for the rest of us the 7Artisans is a great alternative.

Yollasho

Mu-43 Rookie
If your salary depends on it buy the Olympus - for the rest of us the 7Artisans is a great alternative.

I echo this sentiment.
I own the 25mm f/1.8 and really enjoy it. It has no apparent issues. Focus is smooth. Distance markings aren't spot on, but I'm never look at them when focusing. I wish it had a click aperture, but that is not a huge deal. I'm sure they de-clicked it for use with video shooting. Hearing the good things about the 7.5mm f/2.8 I am going to look into that next.

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
I echo this sentiment.
I own the 25mm f/1.8 and really enjoy it. It has no apparent issues. Focus is smooth. Distance markings aren't spot on, but I'm never look at them when focusing. I wish it had a click aperture, but that is not a huge deal. I'm sure they de-clicked it for use with video shooting. Hearing the good things about the 7.5mm f/2.8 I am going to look into that next.

Dear Yollasho - yes, do give the 7-Artisans Fisheye a try!...and the Mieke, and Fujian, and Rokinon ..........

Given deep pockets of cash, or if my salary depended on it, I would buy the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT. However, as a rectilinear lens design, it needs to be 5 to 6 times the price of a fisheye to afford the 10 - 15 high density and aspheric lenses needed to correct the lens distortion "in-lens". Fisheyes can be optically much simpler - and hence cheaper - because the distortion correction is done in post processing. Neither option will avoid stretching the image in the field corners - both lens designs drop image quality in these areas - it's simple physics.

At the current price of dinner for 2, GBP £106 in the UK, <$125 in the USA, this fisheye is a fantastic bit of kit. I hesitated and hesitated - using panorama stitching to mimic the field of view of expensive "ultrawide" lenses - but panoramas only work well when there is no foreground subject, or when there is no movement between shots. Eventually the price drop of the 7-artisans fisheye triggerred my buying one. The competitors in this role and price range are;
[1] the Rokinon M4/3 fisheye - it is more expensive than the 7-Artisans, has a slower aperture, and won't focus anywhere near as close.
[2] the Olympus "Body cap" lens - which is at F8 fixed aperture and optically worse.
[3] a "Fisheye-Lens-Adapter" that attaches to the filter ring on the front of your kit lens - these are cheap but image quality is terrible in every review I have read.

The tiny size of the 7-artisans fisheye lens - about the same as the amateur spec' Lumix 25mm - means that it is always in my kit bag. The learning curve for using a fisheye is steep - as it takes a bit of time to visualise from the viewfinder to the finished corrected image - but hey, that's also part of its appeal, forcing you to rethink images and lens angles and stimulating your creativity. Whenever it take it out I always get a thrill and a smile as I watch the viewfinder ---- not a bad return for the price then.

Sure - as with all these inexpensive Chinese "thrid party" lenses for micro 4/3 - there is a penalty to pay somewhere in optical quality - but my experience with 7-Artisans, Mieke, Fujian/Cheecar manual M4/3 lenses, is that the images are certainly "good enough" even in 10x8 prints and deliver pictures that can't be had at anthing near the price when compared with Lumix or Zuiko alternatives. Pixel peepers find something at fault with near every lens reviewed on this website - but then I never see pixels myself as I print out at 300 DPI - so the real world image is what matters to me.

So for Yollasho, and you all -- Best of luck! Simple optics science means that M4/3 photography will never be as "good" as full frame in terms of resolution, exposure range, speed of AF etc... instead we have chosen a compromise to dramatically reduce the size and weight of our camera bags while still retaining the ability to change lenses. For me, this means more lenses and more creative fun for my photography.

Now - for my next potential option for a "price of meal for 2" lens purchase - has anyone tried the third party M4/3 YI-Xiaoyi 42-5mm F1.8 from China? An Autofocus 85mm Fi.8 equivalent sounds fun - it delivers an image that can't be got with the F5.6 "amateur" spec' Lumix and Zuiko lenses and at the current price online of <£70 / $100 it hits my price point to consider it as the next target for my camera bag.

Best wishes to you all - Paul C

Yollasho

Mu-43 Rookie
So for Yollasho, and you all -- Best of luck! Simple optics science means that M4/3 photography will never be as "good" as full frame in terms of resolution, exposure range, speed of AF etc... instead we have chosen a compromise to dramatically reduce the size and weight of our camera bags while still retaining the ability to change lenses. For me, this means more lenses and more creative fun for my photography.

Now - for my next potential option for a "price of meal for 2" lens purchase - has anyone tried the third party M4/3 YI-Xiaoyi 42-5mm F1.8 from China? An Autofocus 85mm Fi.8 equivalent sounds fun - it delivers an image that can't be got with the F5.6 "amateur" spec' Lumix and Zuiko lenses and at the current price online of <£70 / $100 it hits my price point to consider it as the next target for my camera bag.

Paul, I actually got the 7artisans 7.5mm FE yesterday. Lens feels substantial. Has somewhat serious issue with focus though. I can pull/push the focus ring and substantially impact the focus. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it other than in my house, but It looks good so far. I may suffer through it, as I doubt another would be free of the issue.

I do have the Yi lens you mentioned. I got it as a kit lens with my Yi M1. Lens is lightweight, plastic, but performs very well. Seems sharp. Never had an issue with it. I could have sworn i was reading a thread on it here the other day, but I can't find it now.

Yollasho

Mu-43 Rookie
Paul, I actually got the 7artisans 7.5mm FE yesterday. Lens feels substantial. Has somewhat serious issue with focus though. I can pull/push the focus ring and substantially impact the focus. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it other than in my house, but It looks good so far. I may suffer through it, as I doubt another would be free of the issue.

I do have the Yi lens you mentioned. I got it as a kit lens with my Yi M1. Lens is lightweight, plastic, but performs very well. Seems sharp. Never had an issue with it. I could have sworn i was reading a thread on it here the other day, but I can't find it now.

A couple sample images from my 7artisans 7.5mm on my Lumix g9. Very happy with the lens even with the iffy focus.

download_20190928_163135.jpg

download_20190928_163132.jpg

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
I like the photos - but now make the most use of a fisheye over just stitching panoramas by including forground image interest. If you wont to use fisheyes without correcting to a rectilinear image - then the best short advice web-page for me has been from Albert Dros who posted "7 Reasons Why Fisheye Lenses Are Awesome" on PetaPixel on Jun 27, 2016. Do check it out to get some inspiration!

Just a thought about the focus issue you have noted.....because my 7-Artisans 7.5mm has no laxity in the focus helicoid.
  • Many of the generic Chinese manual focus lenses come with a grub screw that can be loosened to set optical infinity and the focus ring to the same point for your camera - then tighten it up.
  • This is noted by some photographers when then ring suddenly turns "free". Do have a look on the lens to see if that is the "simple fix" that is needed.

Now the next accessory you will need for a fisheye lens is a 2 axis spirit level to help set the lens up for the most natural images - tilt these fisheye lenses up and down and the world moves a lot! They also make one click distortion correction an easy task.

These hot-shoe levels cost less than £2 / USD $2.50.

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 18.54.31.png

best wishes - Paul

Latest threads

Top Bottom