75mm f1.8 Olympus lens announced...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mister_roboto, May 24, 2012.

1. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Thank you. But $900....damn.

If I could sell the 12-50 and 45, then MAYBE...

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    yeah I know what you mean. Although it's only a little higher in price than what I was hoping for... I am having some doubts about it getting it, as it won't be on my camera a majority of the time with that focal length. No doubts in quality though, I'll just have to mill it a bit.

Olympus is slow-ish with the lens roll out- but they do it right (minus those bajillion 14-45 zooms) MUCH better than Sony's rollout :wink:

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    $900 prime and the hood is still optional :rolleyes:. Oh well, I almost never use hoods anyway.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Oh man.... there's my portrait lens, displacing my Zeiss Planar 84/1.4 lens. :smile: And I do use hoods... dang Olympus, no hood and probably no bag with it either. :rolleyes:

6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    The no hood thing is weak, plus it seems as there is a separate optional cap for the hood?

So when do we start the comparisons with the $500 nikon 85mm 1.8? :wink:

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Price seems reasonable to me, especially when you consider the price of the 12/f2.

Lack of hood is unacceptable and borderline offensive on a lens of this grade though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    +1

At least you can rely on the quality of the lens being impressive.

9. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    While we're pummeling Olympus about lens hoods, who at Olympus thinks a set-screw is the proper way of attaching a hood to lens? This is now the third m4/3 lens without a bayonet mount. I want something I can twist off and reverse for storage without fumbling around.

10. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I see it this way - Canon has two 200mm lenses the F/2 and the F/2.8 both. The f/2 is $5999 and the F/2.8 is around $800 so the Olympus 75mm (150 in 35mm format) f1.8 + hood for $1000 is not that bad.

I think this could be a fun lens for the right shoot but the working distance means that unless you have a large indoor space its going to be mainly a lens for outdoor use.

I hope Olympus is working on a replacement for the 17mm and a new 25mm soon.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Rats! I was really looking forward to this lens but it will be a long time before I can afford to get one at this price.
    It appears to be intended as a pro lens, metal body, high quality glass - perhaps another step toward convincing professionals that :43: is a legitimate replacement for dslr's. Paired with the OM-D it should be an impressive combo.
    I'll be curious to see the test numbers when folks finally get their hands on one.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm on the fence on this one - I like 135mm as a focal length, but 150 strikes me as a little too long for the outdoor portraiture I do with my 135L. Undoubtedly a nice bit of glass, but a bit too 'special purpose' for me...

13. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    This is a 75mm lens so why compare it against 200mm lenses to justify cost? What about the 85mm 1.8's??

Don't get me wrong, this lens looks to be better built and "maybe" even a little better in IQ but it is twice the price of those 85mm's which is the closest comparison.... Thats quite a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Having had a Nikon 85/1.8 for a dozen years, I would be very, very surprised id the Olympus wasn't significantly sharper and had better contrast between 1.8 - 2.8.

I have fond this to be the case for all the good ยต4/3 primes compared to the Nikon primes I have.

15. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I can't think of when this focal length would be of use to me...not that I'm a vastly varied photographer by any means. It's too long for everyday stuff, and not long enough for the rare occasion I need the longer reach. I guess that's why they made it closer to pro-level in quality/pricing...not intended for chumps like me.

Looking forward to the release of the macro...hoping it will be priced closer to the 45, but I doubt it. :(

16. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    OLY 75mm f1.8

Looks like the 75mm will be a great lens and I like fast glass but I don't have as much need for 75mm as I will have for the upcoming Panasonic 35-100mm so I'll be waiting for that.

17. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    Looks like quite a lens from the MTF charts. Ideally I need something a bit longer. Wonder if I should go for this or wait for them to produce something like a 100mm f2.0, wish we know what the lens roadmap looked like.

18. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    The 45mm/f1.8 does have a bayonet mount. You just need to remove the outer beauty ring.

Regards,
    Andrew

19. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Well this is is a lot more then what I was hoping for.
    I was really hoping that this lens was maybe no more then 100 to $200 more then the Olympus 45mm.
    At this price it is just to specialized of a lens for me and I'm not sure how often I would actually be able to utilize it.
    The 45mm is already pushing it for me as far as focal length goes on a everyday basis.
    Oh well perhaps in a couple of years as a used bargain.

20. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy