75mm f1.8 lens price

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RichA, Jun 29, 2012.

1. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    $900.00. Nikon's = $450 or so. Can we criticize Olympus for a lens that is double the price? I don't think so. We know little about the economics of making, marketing and selling m4/3rds lenses. To say $900 is twice too much is debating without any real facts. For all we know, given the market, their position, Nikon is pocketing $100 profit on their lens, while Olympus is only making $50.00 on a lens that costs twice as much. Who knows? My advice? Buy the Olympus if you need AF and you simply want to, or look at adapting a Samyang or older Nikon if you need something in the $300-$400 range and don't mind not having autofocus.
  2. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    I agree with you Rich...and it's the OM-D that made me sell my entire D700 and Primes to switch over to M4/3....now this lens is another reason why...size, quality and results!
  3. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Yes, I went from a D300 outfit. My shoulder feels much better!
  4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
  5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I agree that we can't second guess Olympus, and would add to your list of unknowns whether it is easier or harder to design high performance lenses that have a smaller diameter and shorter backfocus.

I do think their policy on lens hoods is crazy, if only because it encourages people not to use them which I think is unfortunate because a reasonable % of shots would probably benefit from the hood. I hesitate to even mention that topic because it's been beaten so many times that it's nano-thin at this point :redface:
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The price is what it is. No amount of discussion or debate is likely to change that fact. As with all products, each consumer will need to determine the lens' value.