1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

75 vs. 85mm rokinon

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Psynema, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    Ok anyone have both and can compare IQ only (we all know the stop difference and AF/MF) but IQ only, is the Oly much better? Still trying to find side by sides.

2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have no experience with Rokinon, but the oly 75 is not only the sharpest one in the whole M4/3 lenses line up, it is possibly one of the sharpest lens in any brand :2thumbs:

3. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    cool-story-bro-house-Cool-Story-Bro.

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I can do a comparison as soon as my 75 arrives. I have the Rokinon now and the 75 on pre-order. I'll probably do a comparison on my blog when I get it.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I would like to preface my statement and say that this is purely my personal opinion. I've noticed that lately some people are quite sensitive to anything comparing one thing to another. :wink:

I have the Rokinon, and I don't mind manual focus. For its price, in my opinion it's unbeatable. Thanks to it I really am not craving for the 75mm. If I didn't have it I'd probably be seriously thinking about that Olympus lens.

Or maybe not.

At this point, it's just a lot of conjecture on my part, because I won't be giving up the Rokinon anytime soon. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Do you use your 85 wide open for shooting people? I've had this lens briefly on Canon and manual focusing at f/1.4 was ridiculously hard, like nearly impossible. Shooting someone from 2 meters handheld, the DoF is only 3cm, and I couldn't ever get the eyes in focus.. the subject moves, I move a bit—that 3cm margin is just too narrow. I suppose it's better with a tripod, but shooting people from a tripod is not always practical. :frown:

By the way, have you tried it with NEX, is focus peaking usable at 1.4?

7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    This is my concern too.

At this focal length, buying an AF lens may be too expensive for the amount of use it'll get. But if it's too cumbersome with MF, then oh well...

8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ah, therein lies the dirty secret :biggrin: Yes, it is hard to focus wide-open on any system. On :43: body I use the zoom function quite extensively at any of the wider apertures (f/4 and wider. I usually go only up to f8).

For NEX, focus peaking works wonders, thus the Rokinon lives on the NEX most of the time. But at f/1.4 shooting people, I still use the magnified view. Focus peaking @ wide-open brings you almost there, but I just need that extra confirmation by zooming in. At f/2.8 and up I trust the focus peaking. Works for me, I'm not too finicky. :smile:

Besides, the Nex-C3 + Rokinon 85mm was still cheaper than the 75mm lens. :biggrin:

(Don't want to hijack the thread - this might turn into Nex vs. :43: which is the last thing I want to happen.:eek: So this is my last comment on this. :smile:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would love to own the Oly 75mm 1.8, but $900 is too rich for my blood. I did some searching and found a Cosmicar(Pentax) 75mm 1.4 for $100! Wide open it's a bit soft, but by f/2 it sharpens up, and by 2.8 it's tack sharp! It's also quite compact (w/c-mount adapter attached), with an image circle that fills the 4/3rd sensor perfectly. Considering I only paid a fraction of the price of the Olympus 75mm, I'm quite happy with it. :smile:

I have to admit, the E-M5 IBIS helps ALOT and I use digital zoom as opposed to magnify to lock focus, for quicker response time.

Here's some sample pics:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/adapted-lens-image-thread-302-post301372/#post301372

The lens is quite substantial with an all metal build and lots of glass:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WoYGgJPc3e8/UBzIe7W3BgI/AAAAAAAADFk/MOGS_qSAQpg/s800/KF1_9892.jpg

Sharpness sample full size:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4EVSmPDH8U4/UBwfHaXfjoI/AAAAAAAADC4/8UNcF-bJK2c/s800/test_01.jpg

Crop:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RB3Ye1iwAPg/UBwfGk_PzvI/AAAAAAAADCw/oFcwLuALymg/s800/test_02.jpg

Some baby action:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mvD4nmDZD7Y/UB3dW1MgV1I/AAAAAAAADJs/ZsWWMF75K4s/s800/K8234518.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I had a look on your site and did a search for 85 vs 75 but nothing came up. Did you ever get around to doing a comparison? To save £££ I've been looking at options. Also the 4/3 fit could relay information to the camera with the right adapter. MF doesn't bother me really and shallow DOF focusing would be taken care of with burst mode.

11. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I would like to believe that but that's not the case unfortunately. The Nocticron is at least as good as and possibly better than the 75 with a more versatile FL. The Zeiss 135/2 APO Sonnar and Zeiss 55/1.8 Otus are currently the 2 highest-rated lenses in the world … far higher than the 75 or Nocticron.