Olympus Image Share issues

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
[Edit: SOLVED. See post #6)

I'd like to start this thread with my issue. I am travelling with my new (first) Olympus camera and would like to make this work urgently if anyone can help please.

I am following this process and want to geotag: http://app.olympus-imaging.com/oishare/gps.php?lang=en

I run OI share on the phone and turn on Geotagging while a walk around taking photos all day. It creates a geotag file.

I get to my hotel and get the wifi connection to my Android phone to work fine.

I start transferring the geotag data to the camera. It starts to do it, but shortly the phone starts losing the wifi connection to the camera. The process fails.

Repeated efforts and it look like the wifi connection is so weak (the phone actually says connected: Olympus E-M5 II, signal: weak) that the phone reverts to other wifi connections (to the internet).

Is there a fix to this? Some setting I need to change?

Would love to fix this ASAP.

cheers

Last edited:

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
OI.share always seems too clunky for me...this won't solve your immediate problem but for future walks (if you use Lightroom) here is an alternative that I tried for the first time today and it worked perfectly. You need a GPS tracking app for your phone that saves to a .gpx file, I used Gretel for iPhone but there must be some good free ones out there for Android as well. Make sure your camera and phone clocks are synced and use the app to make the geotag file, then get that file onto your computer. In the Lightroom Map module you can import the .gpx file, then select your photos and have Lightroom auto-tag them.

Here's a video overview - Adding GPS Data to Your Photos: Exploring Photography with Mark Wallace

barry

Super Moderator
You need a GPS tracking app for your phone that saves to a .gpx file, I used Gretel for iPhone but there must be some good free ones out there for Android as well.

I've done it with Google Tracks on Android before, and some forgotten free app on the PC to merge the data with the images.

Barry

barry

Super Moderator
Which phone do you have?
Iirc, some have a setting for auto-network switching or something like that, which may need to be unset.

Barry

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
As Barry said it could be some kind of setting on the phone, which probably depends on the model of phone as well as Android. There may be a setting which effectively causes the phone to assume that if you are connected to a network you want to connect to the Internet and therefore seeks something "better" than the non-Internet connection with the camera. I have not found it an issue on my Sony phone but I think I have seen something like this on other models (maybe Samsung).

Do you need to do the geotagging while travelling or could you wait until you have access to a computer? I prefer to simply record the track and do the geotagging of photos later following a process similar to fin azvandi above. I use the OruxMaps app on Android to record the track, mainly because I like its mapping options (I use it for walking/hiking even if not recording the track for photo purposes). I imagine there are plenty of other simpler apps if you just want to record a track. In Lightroom I use Jeffrey Friedl's Geoencoding Plugin (http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps) as I find it easier to use than the built-in functions. But I realise none of this helps if what you want is to geotag the photos while travelling away from a computer.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Hi guys, mine is a HTC One M8. I think you're referring to the Samsung phones mentioned on the discussion boards, that have Auto Switching wireless on by default. Checked mine and it's off.

HOWEVER, thinking about your questions reminded me that I have my phone on Battery Saver mode, so I can run GPS tracking all day without worrying about the battery. So I turned it off and voila! Fast and painless geotagging. I have done it twice now and the problem is gone.

So I think it is SOLVED. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

P.S. note that I can leave the phone on Battery Saver mode all day while running OI Share in GPS mode, it works fine. It is only when geotagging the photos with Wi-Fi that the phone can't be in battery saver mode.

Latest threads

Top Bottom