72-Hour Post-Processing Competition #640 - Closed & Results

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
Competition closed, I even have the results....

First off, apologies to all: I understand that this was a difficult one...too crowded, difficult zones of lighting and colour temperature.

As to judging, I eliminated all entries where the snow patch was too blue (colour balance not right). Some of You were smart enough to either crop it out, or turn it into black and white.
Darek (@Zapp DJR), I don’t understand the red (Japanese?) sign...Furthermore, Your fog is IMO unrealistic (look at the border between the fog and the tree).
Richard (@RichardC), nice crop, nice B/W but why the light rays in the top left corner?
Robert (@Robert Davidson), I don’t use Aurora anymore, I find it tends to oversaturate way too much. I reverted to Photomatix Pro and mainly use its “Fusion” settings’

Final results:
#3 B/W entry from Bo (@BosseBe)
#2 Lyle (@WhidbeyLVR): very pleasing overall, but the water was really more brown (and yes, Your preferred second place :) )
#1 Rob Rider (@Rob Rider)entry #1: I also prefer this tight crop, I even cropped out the tree completely.

Over to You, Rob!

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
My take on this picture...

P1302617.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Darek (@Zapp DJR), I don’t understand the red (Japanese?) sign...Furthermore, Your fog is IMO unrealistic (look at the border between the fog and the tree).

Fully agreed. The #2 was just fooling around. 🙃
As for the symbol: it was meant to replicate the ones from Blair Witch Project.

Last edited:
Competition closed, I even have the results....

First off, apologies to all: I understand that this was a difficult one...too crowded, difficult zones of lighting and colour temperature.

As to judging, I eliminated all entries where the snow patch was too blue (colour balance not right). Some of You were smart enough to either crop it out, or turn it into black and white.
Richard (@RichardC), nice crop, nice B/W but why the light rays in the top left corner?
Robert (@Robert Davidson), I don’t use Aurora anymore, I find it tends to oversaturate way too much. I reverted to Photomatix Pro and mainly use its “Fusion” settings’

Final results:
#3 B/W entry from Bo (@BosseBe)
#2 Lyle (@WhidbeyLVR): very pleasing overall, but the water was really more brown (and yes, Your preferred second place :) )
#1 Rob Rider (@Rob Rider)entry #1: I also prefer this tight crop, I even cropped out the tree completely.

Over to You, Rob!
Thanks for the win. I am surprised as I thought the entries where the water was cleared of the yellow/brown tones looked the best.
I cropped in close as I thought the water movement was the most interesting area of the photo. By the time I entered there were many good examples of the entire frame and another would not stand out one way or the other.
I will get the next challenge ready to go by this evening.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Thank you so much for my perfect placement!

I have seen and photographed brown (plus green, yellow, and glacial-flour turquoise) water many times. But when I see the brown water on my computer screen, I am always surprised just how brown it looks. I know the camera isn’t lying, but my memory of moments like this is of rushing, burbling water, forest air, glints of light on the rapids and runnels, and the dark calm of the side pools. I often see moving water rendered with very long exposures, which is velvety-smooth and artsy, but I personally prefer shutter speeds in the quarter-second range, which maintains the wildness of the water’s motion. So I liked your image a lot. And I tamed the brown to match my feelings rather than facts.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom