72 Hour Post Processing Challenge #716 - Closed, Winner Announced

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Picture from the only sunny day in our week in the Lake District. View from Barrow Fell.

P1494752.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAW and JPEG images are https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3cj1ooa3f2pc8nq/AAB8dP22tW6PlGdnqVXuGIzDa?dl=0

The challenge closes on Friday 26th November at 10:00 UTC

Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  1. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  2. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  3. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  4. The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge
Notes:
  • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1
P1494752_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2
P1494752_Nik_1_DxO_Web.jpg

So what did I do?
Entry #1 was DxOPL5, my standard preset (contrast, clearview etc...) then lowered Clearview to 25, exposure +0.25, lifted blacks and shadows and finally a grad filter for the top part with extra Clearview to get rid of the haze.
Entry #2 from the first, processed in my new NIK Collection 4 (nice improvement of interface from NIK2), default profile in Silver EFEX and a Orange filter.

Beautiful scene and an excellent shot. I didn't think I could improve upon it, but I did fiddle a bit. Opened the raw file in DxO PL4, changed some light levels, then tweaked some more in Elements and cropped.

P1494752_DxOdcLL2.jpg

Last edited:

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Nice landscape shot. #1.
P1494752 1e.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Lovely view! Between the cloud shadows and the grand vista that humbles the human presence, it looks worthy of some Romantic poet's efforts.

Virtually everything done in Adobe Camera Raw.
A linear gradient from the bottom to balance the immediate foreground with the sunlit settlement at center.
A little work in the HSL panel to mitigate the tendency toward cyan in the sky that resulted from pulling the clouds out.
Some brushwork to promote the sunlight at the left.
Back in PS, a curves layer for contrast and a layer set to overlay for dodging and burning.
PPC716-1.jpg

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
dt only...
P1494752.jpg

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
quite tricky to edit it on dt... because whenever i add some brightness on the darker area (bottom, especially bottom right), there was some purple artifacts (afaik, a great number of panasonic cameras affected with this thing, but only on the latest non stable dt, aka v3.7 / v3.6.***). so i had to play with the raw black / white point, and here's the better one to my eyes (yes, still a bit greeney)...
P1494752_01.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
the darker area (bottom, especially bottom right), there was some purple artifacts
I think some of that could be the heather which is normally purple when it flowers but dies back in the autumn- or at least I hope it is as I don't want another reason to spend ;) . The following gives you an indication of what its like in the sunshine P1494574.JPG .

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#1 - standard adjustments in DxO PL5 followed by 16:9 crop
P1494752_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#2 - applied Nik HDR Efex on above
P1494752_DxO_edited_Nik_DxO.jpg

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
I think some of that could be the heather which is normally purple when it flowers but dies back in the autumn- or at least I hope it is as I don't want another reason to spend ;) . The following gives you an indication of what its like in the sunshine.
either that, or else :D... but, here's to illustrate it, a simple edit using another rawtherapee vs my edit on dt with unmodified raw black / white point...
P1494752_03.jpg

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
My image above put through the blue-hour filter in DXo PL3.
P1494752 1e_Ddit.jpeg

Entry #2: I tried converting to B&W but didn't like the result, so since I like warm colors, I used Nik Color Efex to warm up entry #1.

P1494752_DxOdcLL2Warm.jpg

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran

P1494752.jpg

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran

P1494752_1.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
My tag line should be “never too old to learn” as another challenge has taught me something new. Thanks to @ivanbae07 :thumbsup: I’m now the proud downloader of RawTherapee, and Darktable. On first glance they are more sophisticated (complicated?) than ACR but a lot cheaper than DXO PL5 (equally complicated) which I shortlisted as a “should I/shouldn’t I?” Black Friday purchase till Ivan’s post. I’ve now got some new toys to play with!

With regards to the competition, as the sun was going down I was trying to capture the changing light on the landscape as areas went into shade. Congratulations to you all on submitting some very nice interpretations. All of your entries are different – keeping shadows, lifting shadows, removing the village, different crops, clearing the haze on the mountains etc. etc, as you will see from XnViewMP

All.PNG

My preference is for those submissions which keep more to my original “expectation” and my choices are :-

Joint second runners up – Couldn’t decide between the B&W entries from @ivanbae07 and @BosseBe as the two entries show the range from atmospheric muted contrast to sharp strong contrast.

First runner up – @Robert Davidson #2 Loved the slightly muted image with nice colours and contrast capturing the range of light

Winner – @Hendrik I like the colours, the contrast, the foreground, and retention of elements of haze on the mountains again capturing the range of light

Congratulations Hendrik and over to you.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Wow! Strong competition. Thanks for the win, Ken—nice to know we share the same sensibilities. And happy Thanksgiving to any and all who share the holiday.
I’m away from my collection at just the wrong time. Drat! I hope one of the other folks on the podium (@Robert Davidson, @ivanbae07 or @BosseBe) will step in and keep the challenge going.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom