72 Hour Post Processing Challenge #701

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Lastly - my version, as I dreamed it up in the viewfinder- I have been rereading "northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen. It's about a pair of dizzy teenage girls who are both Gothic Novel Fans -- and go on to imagine Gothic Horror all around them (murderers, haunted houses etc).

My friends tell me to take my cameras to Whitby, on the English North East Coast for their annual "Gothic Weekend" that recreates the moment when Count Dracula comes ashore there in a storm on a ghost ship at the start of the book that bears his name. Fans dress up as characters from the book and parade from the port to the ruined abbey - including by torchlight as the sun sets (so that will be 1600 asa and careful fill-in flash exposures then). It was cancelled due to COVID in 2021 - but perhaps 2022?

Best wishes to you all - now lets hope for a great autumn/fall season for 2021 to make photo days out a treat for us to look forward to now lockdowns are easing in so many countries!

Best wishes - Paul C

Pauls Gothic Landscape.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Perhaps just before I sign off, can I ask anyone to suggest where to start with sky-replacements for the complete novice? Faced with a bland pale grey sky that day I just stepped back from the edge of the lake and put the trees and leaves in the upper frame; (there were no clouds to make it worth using an ND grad filter) I now know better!

I can’t give you much help in the general case with sky replacement. It usually involves creating a mask for the sky that can be difficult to do manually. There is fairly recent “smart” software (AI) now available in various packages to help automate that mask creation. But I don’t have any such software, so I have to do it the hard way.

However, in this particular case, since the sky was pretty uniformly blown out, I just used a very rough mask and set the layer blending mode of the sky layer to “darken only”. Done!

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Many congratulations to all who joined in with process challenge #701

In the end the winner has to be the processing challenge victor for this week - that managed to overcome all the problems in one - Growltiger --- CONGRATULATIONS

and best of luck setting us the next challenge -#702
Thank you, I am honoured.
I will get the next challenge ready soon.

Regarding sky replacement the basics are these - the exact method and words used to describe it depend on the editor used.:
1. Select sky - easy when it is all white.
2. Delete the selected area (so it becomes transparent).
3. Take a photo of the sky (I have a collection of sky photos I have made) and put it in the editor in a separate layer, and put that layer below the original layer.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I had another try at making a panorama in Hugin and this time I succeeded, I had to make sure both pictures was straight before going to Hugin for the Pano.
I used the light coloured tree trunk to the right of the bridge as my reference, it appears in both pictures. I got some artefacts at the top of the leaning tree in the middle but I just cropped a bit to get rid of that. There are still some smudges around the three, but some judicious repair work can take care of that.

LEFT_DxO - RIGHT_DxO2_DxO_Web.jpg

Too challenging to not try :) Edited both raw files in DxO PL4 then, in Elements, I tried to merge them then fiddled quite a bit....

Untitled_Panorama1dLL.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom