72 Hour Post Processing Challenge #700 - Results announced

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Monterey one week and Gateshead the next ...... a slightly different view of the "Angel of the North" at Gateshead.

P1280229.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The challenge will end Wednesday 29th September at 9:00am GMT

JPEG and Raw images here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1a597hoz3qanyyq/AABmSAv-nsScaJIrAgLjJTrUa?dl=0

Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:
  • Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed, provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here are my two entries. For the tight crop, I used the Enhance function in Lightroom to increase the resolution.
20210917_110534_P1280229_challenge.jpg

20210917_110534_P1280229_challenge-Enhanced.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1
P1280229_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2
P1280229_DxO_Web_1.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 1
PPC700_01.jpg

DxO PL4 and Gimp/G'mic/Nik

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 2
PPC700_01BW.jpg

Entry 1 takes a trip through Nik Silver Efex.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#1
P1280229_DxO.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#2
P1280229_Nik_DxO.jpg

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
P1280229-b.jpeg

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
P1280229-re.jpg

P1280229bw.jpg

todd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
20210927124003-d9b05f11.jpg

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
I did my attempt blind - but I see that many of us couldn't cope with the symmetry and went for the rule of thirds !!!

I saw this image as a scene from "Castle in the Sky" - one of the best studio Ghibli films and highly recommended viewing to you all.

Comp Sept 29 copy.JPG

My technique was to convert the RAW into a single Tone Map image in Aurora HDR to recover the exposure for ribs of the giant angel as well as the children at his feet -- and then to create the big distinction between the blue sky and the white clouds to give us an impending storm worth being protected from by the Angel - before switching to Silver Efex to manage the borders and add a bit of grain. Those of you who offer up their pictures for this must be upset when we "grunge up" their treasured images!

I then took a final liberty with the composition - and switched the angel to be looking from Left to Right - my composition textbook says "When a person in the photo looks from left to right, it seems as he or she is looking at the future, and it’s perceived as “natural”.

Best wishes to you all - Paul C

Perhaps now I have seen so many of us have fallen for the rule of 3rds approach - I shall have to come back with symmetry for attempt No.2 !

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
P1280229 TM Aurora 2 stretch_edited-1.jpg

So here is processing No.2 - not quite symmetry, but this time I used the photoshop "recompose" function to make the image more of a panorama - aiming to balance the huge statue with more of the environment and buch up the clouds that stream behind the statue (now its the clouds that are streaming left to right!) and make the colours more of a "comic book" image.

Since I discovered the joys of panorama stitching I have been using it a lot - which has (for now) saved me the cost of getting the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f4.0 or the Venus LAOWA 7.5mm f/2.0 that were looking so tempting!

If you use a MAC computer - do try out the program "Panorama Stitcher Mini". For 5 images or less it is free to use (there is a small cost if you want 6 or more images should you be into the "Brenizer method / bokeh panorama" technique). I find it really quick and reliable to use in >95% of cases - far faster than photoshop. This is just as well since I made an impulse buy of a Lumix GF1 on eBay and have been carrying it everywhere for the last 2 weeks coupled to a Lumix 25mm F1.7 to remind me how I used to cope with just an Olymous OM1 and a 50mm lens when my photgraphic journey began !

Best wishes to you all - Paul C

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I’m amazed at what you’ve all been able to do with the “Angel of the North”. The poor exposure means that the processed images have an “artificial” look and consequently no one submission is exactly what I had in mind when I took it - next time I need to think too :blush: . Looking at your submissions I think this image has inspired you all in different ways as each submissions has different crops, colours, saturation, angel position in the frame, and clarity.

My criteria therefore is do I like the image created and being honest I like them all. However as you can’t all be winners I need to declare some results.

Joint winner of the best “Angel with Clipped Wings” are @betamax #1 and @WhidbeyLVR #1. I like the colours, the clarity and the detailing.

Joint runners up of the uncropped angel are @BosseBe #1 and @Rob Rider #1. I like the crop, the colours, the clarity and the detailing.

Winner of the competition is @Paul C #1 as the image is so different from anything else. I like what you’ve achieved and your detailed description of how it become so different.

Over to you Paul.

PS The picture below is of the “usual” view of the Angel.
P1280104.JPG

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for that - as you say, it is great fun to see how much modern software enables us to change an image. What a change from the days spent in the dark breathing in all those fumes.

Crucially - most of the software I use came free or were the "bargain basement" programs (and many thanks to the posters in this section of the website for their great hints for others to try - please keep posting those ideas !). A few pointers from me - Auroura HDR offers old versions for free to try; the Google era versions of silver efex pro are still available on some websites, Panorama Stitcher Mini is free (the version up to 5 images) while learning to get the most from photoshop elements is a lot easier than failing to use the "grown up" version of Photoshop CC properly. Lightroom is great - but Photos-for Mac does a lot of its hard work and comes free with every apple computer!

Give me an hour or two and I will find something suitable for you all to work on.

best wishes to you all - Paul C

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom