72-Hour Post Processing Challenge #649 — Winners announced

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
P1010471.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
P1010471-Exposure.jpg

roboroto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Very similar to my #1 but I remembered to actually use the highlight reconstruction in a constructive manner and didn't denoise as stupidly this time! filmic rgb module in DT3.4 is so powerful.

P1010471_edited.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Edited raw file 0471 in DxO PL4 then tweaked in Elements. Usual adjustment, cropped, and softened the clouds

P1010471_DxOdcLL.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Clever! Did some testing with a rectangular subject, and it seems you could still go a bit higher than that. Somewhere around 63. Although the result never became perfectly rectangular for any setting.
Where do you get the 60 and 63 and 70? what are those numbers please? I did manual adjustment in DxO by moving the cursor all the way to the right, then in Elements I moved the pointer all the way towards the pincushion symbol twice :) I don't know if I got it even close... Thanks.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Opened one of the RW2 files (the middle one) in RawTherapee mainly to see if there would be a lens profile for the 9mm body lens cap. And yes there was - needed to manually select it.
However this didn't really completely defish the image, so had to play with the distortion ruler.
Then I simply amused myself with the tone curve to make some inversion and solarization effect...

PPC649.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 2

P1010470-72_fused.jpg

Started over from scratch. Processed all 3 raw files in DxO PL4, merged as HDR stack in hugin, and edited to taste in Gimp/Nik. And after all that, it is so nearly the same as my first entry that I don't think it was worth the extra effort.

Last edited:

todd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
todd
20210329233234-03364213.jpg

Just used the -1ev shot (71).. Rawtherapee to Topaz Denoise to Gimp+NikCFX to Topaz Sharpen...

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Where do you get the 60 and 63 and 70? what are those numbers please? I did manual adjustment in DxO by moving the cursor all the way to the right, then in Elements I moved the pointer all the way towards the pincushion symbol twice :) I don't know if I got it even close... Thanks.
This is the dialog we are talking about:

Distortion.png

Edit: This may require the DxO ViewPoint 2 module.

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Alright, the moment of truth... 21 submissions... Thanks everyone for participating!

The things that struck me when I was there, were the sky filled with cirrocumulus clouds (had to look that up) and the warm light sweeping over the landscape. To get as many of the clouds in the shot as possible, I pulled out the Olympus 9mm body cap lens that I had bought 2 months prior. (That was my only ultra-wide-angle lens, and after having bought and sold the Olympus 9-18mm, it again is.) The shot was OK, but there was much left to do in post-processing, such as:
  • Getting the exposure of the sky and the foreground right. To the eye, these were both bright, so in my opinion they should be bright in the end result as well.
  • Recovering the highlights around the sun in a pleasing way. Even in the EV-1 shot, a substantial area was blown out. And the challenge is to get a nice gradient from the overexposed area to the rest.
  • Fixing the white balance. I think the camera decided a bit cooler temperature than how I perceived the scene.
  • Maybe correcting for the distortion.
  • Maybe cleaning up the bike path.
On top of this, I kind of expected someone to get really creative and insert some birds somewhere, or to insert a motorbike on the bike path, or something like that. ;) Maybe next time!

So after going through all the submissions, this is the top three I came up with:
  • First place: @roboroto with entry #2. Very natural result. You did a good job on the highlight recovery, the colours, and bringing out the clouds nicely.
  • Second place: @Zapp DJR with entry #2. A little bit over the top, but I like the mood. Warm and cozy. :) I had a really hard time choosing between your edit and the one by @roboroto.
  • Third place: @BosseBe with entry #2. Nice black-and-white edit. Focused on the clouds, without making them too contrasty.
Congratulations to @roboroto! Looking forward to the next challenge!

Latest threads

Top Bottom