72-Hour Post Processing Challenge #637 - (closed, results posted)

roboroto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mike
Small pond at the edge of a local rec park. And geese. Honk.

P1020714.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Challenge will close at 9.00 pm CST on 2021-02-17 (Wednesday).

jpg and raw here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6p4zw0e743d7h1z/AADskTsVu9dZCvht8YMj2uVZa

----------

Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:
  • Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

P1020714lca1.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1:
P1020714_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2:
P1020714_DxO_Web_1.jpg

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice image. Minor adjustments in DxO PL2 then further minor tweaks in Elements.

P1020714_DxOdcLL2.jpg

Last edited:
cropped , color adjusted, topaz denoise, tilt shift from blur gallery in photoshop.

P1020714.jpg

A bit less saturation on this one.

P1020714d.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
Entry #1
P1020714.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
Entry #2
P1020714bw.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

P1020714 lca4.jpg

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
Entry # 1
Processed raw in Affinity photo

P1020714 re02.jpg

roboroto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mike
Well, it's time. I might as well judge so we can get on to the next!

Analysis, Opinion, and Personal Attempt
I think the composition is a little off and maybe a tad busy. Also, the scene is dark and grayish and I initially think to preserve some of that feel. So in my opinion this means a subdued, less contrasty edit.

What to focus on? First, the geese. To me the clouds and the water mirror each other, and the baseball field lights in the sky are roughly analogous to the geese in the water. The rest is kind of distracting.

I'd go with something like this myself (reduced contrast in the middle, not too much saturation or contrast, a crop to frame the image between the trees), which turned out quite a bit different from many of the entries!

P1020714_edited.jpg

On second thought the water here is kind of meh, and if I were to judge this I wouldn't make my own top 3, but never mind that. On to the results.

Results

Winner - @relic. The blue tone above and below quite worked for me to pull things together. Didn't think of that. Kind of moody in an interesting way.

Runner up - @Kae1 #1. I can't say I disagree with the framing (symmetry in the red-leaved and yellow-leaved trees)! Overall concept is closest to my original vision by far, and executed nicely.

Honorable Mentions - @Rob Rider #1. Wow, great image with the tight crop. Unfortunately at that crop with the ISO and edit I think the noise/shimmering is a bit much. @Fred S. Not what I imagined at all, definitely stylized in a nice way. @Robert Davidson The lights are cloned out, and I thought those were central! But maybe they aren't after all, as there's a lot of impact with this incarnation.

The others were quite strong too, and Bernie himself made an appearance!

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, it's time. I might as well judge so we can get on to the next!
Thank you very much although that was quite unexpected with all the other excellent entries. I was counting on "escaping this fate" as I fear that I may not have anything suitable for the next challenge. I will look, but meanwhile if @Kae1 can and is willing to take over (which would spare the members from having to deal with a terrible challenge image) I'd be immensely grateful. And there is a chance that we might lose power today or tomorrow due to the ice storm (if I may use that as an excuse-- as disingenuous as it may be).

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
but meanwhile if @Kae1 can and is willing to take over (which would spare the members from having to deal with a terrible challenge image) I'd be immensely grateful.
Happy to oblige. I'll see what I can find. Hope you can escape the worst of the weather🤞

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom