72 Hour Post Processing Challenge #618 - Winner announced

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I usually don't want to see what others have done before I have found out what I want to do and done it or at least started.
Otherwise I get intimidated!
But this is all for fun and about developing your PP skills, so don't be intimidated and do your own versions!
The worst thing that can happen is that you win and have to host the next challenge! 😎

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I usually don't want to see what others have done before I have found out what I want to do and done it or at least started.
Otherwise I get intimidated!
But this is all for fun and about developing your PP skills, so don't be intimidated and do your own versions!
The worst thing that can happen is that you win and have to host the next challenge! 😎
Ha Ha - I never scroll further than the original post before starting my first entry.

@Brodhall - it's not a competition - it's for fun.

Most of the things I've learned about post processing are a direct result of trying new things on this challenge (a few others have posted the same). You don't get that from working on your own pictures.

Real Name
Sue
Ha Ha - I never scroll further than the original post before starting my first entry.

@Brodhall - it's not a competition - it's for fun.

Most of the things I've learned about post processing are a direct result of trying new things on this challenge (a few others have posted the same). You don't get that from working on your own pictures.
Too true - if only I had time this week. Maybe do it as a late(very) entry just for the fun of it. Just need to know where to begin

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Entry 2.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stretched the mist. Altered highlights, colour etc in camera raw. Added an interested party. Added a border.

Real Name
Sue
Entry 1

View attachment 863185

Made a panorama from all pictures, but then cropped to 7x5. My original plan was to launch the saucers, but @betamax beat me to it, so spawning aliens was an alternative.

First layer was the domes. Select each one, fill with white, change blend mode to color dodge (this makes highlights glow) and add some gaussian blur and motion blur to the whole layer.

The light beams are on individual layers to allow some variance in opacity. Same method, this time in light yellow, simply make rectangles with the marquee tool, fill with colour, gaussian blur, set layer blend mode to color dodge and set layer opacity to taste (or lack thereof in my case).

Aliens get a layer each. They are a Pixabay stock photo of a mannequin which is very conveniently lit from below, although with blue and red lights. I clipped a black and white adjustment layer to each, changed the blend mode to color, the used the sliders to desaturate the blue/red colours.

Added eyes using the same methods as the domes above, stretched/squashed the torsos using free transform. Positioned each one above the domes - masked off the legs (a whole alien would have been nice, but Pixabay mannequin is a sadly a double amputee), played with opacities and blend modes, flipped one of them horizontally.

Flattened image (silly!!! - a new flattened layer Cmd/Alt/Shift/E would be a better idea to make it easier to go back and and change something later), sent it back to camera raw, added a vignette, reset contrast/vibrance etc. Added some noise.

Back in photoshop, added some mist using another Pixabay freebie stock photo of a cloudy Scottish landscape, turned it upside down, set the blend mode to screen to retain the highlights, blurred, and masked away any remaining bits of Scotland.

Looking at it now, the sky in the middle could do with some interest and there isn't enough mist at the back of the grass. I may revisit Bo's visitors........
Thanks for this info - I will be trying my hand at an out of this world edit - just don't have time at the moment. Sorry @BosseBe

Interesting rooftop
I opened the .orf files in photoshop and merged to panorama - no problems
I used the eyedrop tool on the white building for the color balance and added some alien eyeballs.

I started with the last version and tried a few filters and then used the tilt shift function.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
As you probably know I like B&W, but that had to stand back this time, the SciFi treatments are so good!
But let me start from the back by saying I can't choose between 2 entries for 2nd runner up!
@Rob Rider #1 and @betamax #1.

Rob Rider's could maybe have been the only 2nd runner up if it was not for the green globs, they are not alien enough in the competition to other alien entries, so I think they detract from an otherwise very good treatment. (Actually if I can do this good with my treatment without the globs, I will be happy!)

betamax's B&W is simply the best B&W. (Same for this, if I can do this good I will be happy!)

So I decided to give them booth that title!
2nd runner up: @Rob Rider #1 and @betamax #1

So as you can now guess it is between the aliens/SciFi treatments for 1st runner up and Winner!
Really tight between Winner and 1st runner up!
But something in the winning picture speaks to me more!

1st runner up: @RichardC #1

And the Winner is: (Wait for it,,, drum roll):
Winner: @betamax #2

Thank you for all the fantastic entries and for making my judging hard!

Over to you Alan!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Now that I have made my decision I am curious, how would YOU have placed the entries?
This has been fun even if I complain about how hard it is, see the latest addition to my sig! (Top line.)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Wait! Am I too late? Ahhhh. . . too bad!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
There have been so many fantastic entries in this challenge, that I want to share them with the people living in our buildings, I hope you are all OK with that?
I will not share them on Facebook or other social media like that since I don't like their policies about pictures.
But would it be OK if I created an album on Flickr only open for invited people with the link to it? (I hope there is away to do this.)
Please tell me if you object!

There have been so many fantastic entries in this challenge, that I want to share them with the people living in our buildings, I hope you are all OK with that?
I will not share them on Facebook or other social media like that since I don't like their policies about pictures.
But would it be OK if I created an album on Flickr only open for invited people with the link to it? (I hope there is away to do this.)
Please tell me if you object!
Ok with me 🤖

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom