72 Hour Post Processing Challenge #618 - Winner announced

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
So I didn't wait until tomorrow since I realised I have intended to take some pictures of the garden of the buildings where I live.
So I went down and took some pictures just so you people can have something to play with!
Since I set up on my tripod I took some pictures that can maybe work as a panorama, I haven't tried as the pictures are still wet!
Here are 4 pictures for you to play with!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just showing one of them.
Raw and JPG can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d3muvoon0u2a9u0/AAAcquNu5Szg2wWfWLmU9Byga?dl=0

Challenge will close on Thursday December 17 2020, 20:00 CET.

----------

Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.

1. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  2. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  3. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  4. The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge

Notes:

• Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honour passes to the next Runner-up.
Have fun!

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
Well..this was a tough one. First off, Deep-Prime noise reduction with DXO Photolab with export to TIFF 16 bits for image PC140205 and PC140208. Couldn't get a decent pano using Photoshop photomerge, therefore used AutopanoGiga (now discontinued) with settings for cylindrical projection (in order to have reasonably normal looking dimensions for the left glass dome) and toning down of exposure of image PC140205 (to remove a very fluo-green under the gazebo - LED lighting?). Then as a TIFF again imported to Photoshop with minor work in ACR and then BW rendition using Infinite BW. Last, a border using Color Efex Pro. Et voila!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Oh, I hope you all don't think it has to be a panorama, just use all or any picture!
Since I haven't tried to make a Pano myself I don't even know if it is feasible.
Now I realise I should have been in Manual mode not A, with auto WB and shutter.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Very nice night scene. Each photo was perfectly exposed. I did not try to see if different level adjustments were needed for each file before performing the merge but the results looked pretty good to me. I tried to make a panorama only from the two end images (208 & 205). I edited one of the raw images in DxO PL2, then applied the same corrections to the other. I then opened the resulting tiff images in Elements, downsized them (my computer could not cope with the combined large original file sizes), merged them into a panorama (Photoshop Elements 14 seemed to work fine once I downsized the files), then did basic file editing of the resulting file (colors looked natural to my tired eyes although I only now noticed the green glow, and I did not crop). Edit: I edited the two files again to try to equalize the light levels in the sky before merging them into the panorama.

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle

Like @relic, I used the bookend raw files, exported to 16-bit tiff. I stitched them in Hugin (Panini General projection with minor mods) and edited in Gimp. Hugin corrects for the exposure differences automatically. In Gimp, I performed WB adjustments, reduced the green glow, and made some local contrast enhancements.

todd phillips

Mu-43 Top Veteran

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Used one of the images with good composition. Processed in DxO PL2

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Now processed another in DxO PL2. If someone can stich them then it will be great

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 2

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
... and #2

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: B&W version obtained from entry #1 by applying Nik Silver Efex.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I like the suggestion of holiday lights, the slightly a-kilter gazebo, with its stored chairs, tables and grill(s), as well as the derelict child's ball, not to mention the incongruity of skylights in a lawn. I chose a crop that made those points with minimal redundancy. Accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw followed by Topaz DeNoise.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Entry 1

aliens.jpg

Made a panorama from all pictures, but then cropped to 7x5. My original plan was to launch the saucers, but @betamax beat me to it, so spawning aliens was an alternative.

First layer was the domes. Select each one, fill with white, change blend mode to color dodge (this makes highlights glow) and add some gaussian blur and motion blur to the whole layer.

The light beams are on individual layers to allow some variance in opacity. Same method, this time in light yellow, simply make rectangles with the marquee tool, fill with colour, gaussian blur, set layer blend mode to color dodge and set layer opacity to taste (or lack thereof in my case).

Aliens get a layer each. They are a Pixabay stock photo of a mannequin which is very conveniently lit from below, although with blue and red lights. I clipped a black and white adjustment layer to each, changed the blend mode to soft light, then used the sliders to desaturate the blue/red colours.

Added eyes using the same methods as the domes above, stretched/squashed the torsos using free transform. Positioned each one above the domes - masked off the legs (a whole alien would have been nice, but Pixabay mannequin is a sadly a double amputee), played with opacities and blend modes, flipped one of them horizontally.

Flattened image (silly!!! - a new flattened layer Cmd/Alt/Shift/E would be a better idea to make it easier to go back and and change something later), sent it back to camera raw, added a vignette, reset contrast/vibrance etc. Added some noise.

Back in photoshop, added some mist using another Pixabay freebie stock photo of a cloudy Scottish landscape, turned it upside down, set the blend mode to screen to retain the highlights, blurred, and masked away any remaining bits of Scotland.

Looking at it now, the sky in the middle could do with some interest and there isn't enough mist at the back of the grass. I may revisit Bo's visitors........

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom