1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

72-Hour Challenge: Ephemeral

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by sprinke, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I would like to see your interpretation of the theme "Ephemeral." I'm going to buck the rules a little bit and NOT post example images since I don't want to put ideas into anyone's heads. Think carefully and be original ... surprise me.

ephemeral |əˈfem(ə)rəl|
    adjective
    lasting for a very short time : fashions are ephemeral.

THE RIGHT WORD
    Things that don't last long are called temporary, which emphasizes a measurable but limited duration :) a temporary appointment as chief of staff).
    Something that is fleeting passes almost instantaneously and cannot be caught or held :) a fleeting thought; a fleeting glimpse).
    Transient also applies to something that lasts or stays only a short time :) transient house guests), while transitory refers to something that is destined to pass away or come to an end :) the transitory pleasure of eating).
    Evanescent and ephemeral describe what is even more short-lived. Ephemeral literally means lasting for only a single day, but is often used to describe anything that is slight and perishable :) his fame was ephemeral). Evanescent is a more lyrical word for whatever vanishes almost as soon as it appears.
    In other words, a job might be temporary, an emotion fleeting, a visitor transient, a woman's beauty transitory, and glory ephemeral, but the flash of a bird's wing across the sky would have to be called evanescent.

72 Hour Challenge Rules

As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72 hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a blue ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for "72-Hour Challenge: Ephemeral."

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    From Wikipedia "A number of art forms can be considered ephemeral because of their temporary nature."
    This photo was taken at Paris’s Grand Palais, Paris during the Daniel Buren color project.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/73403162@N00/8112130248/" title="P1020097-Edit-Edit.jpg by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8112130248_1b1dd3190c_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P1020097-Edit-Edit.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 9
  4. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Hibiscus bloom. GH1 100-300

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 4
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/8041861603/" title="ANF Meetup 2012-10 by jloden, on Flickr"> 8041861603_63ec03af75_c. "600" height="800" alt="ANF Meetup 2012-10"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/8041864133/" title="ANF Meetup 2012-10 by jloden, on Flickr"> 8041864133_e1ab6b22cb_c. "600" height="800" alt="ANF Meetup 2012-10"></a>

• Like Like x 7
  6. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
  7. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    • Like Like x 7
  8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
  9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    My one and only entry that fits the theme (I think)... A street performer at Union Square in NYC. I was still shooting jpg then with my E-M5. Wish I shot this in RAW to recover the overcast sky.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yekimrd/7501880346/" title="Jump (Redux) by yekimrd, on Flickr">"600" height="800" alt="Jump (Redux)"></a>

• Like Like x 8
  10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    2nd entry...

It rained all morning and and finally subsided in the afternoon... a rainbow appeared among the hills, but nothing really special to compose the picture with.

Saw an interesting landmark up ahead, but I just had a few seconds to get this angle as the rocking bus was passing the castle... used OM-D's low burst mode and prayed for IBIS' magic. The road was bumpy and I was sitting on the wrong side of the bus.... so I have 4 blurry pics and this one. Thanks Olympus.

Pot_of_gold.

• Like Like x 8
  11. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  12. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    so here's a shot of a firework (existing only briefly) taken on Canada Day (lasting only one day) :rofl:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Goldenlight the pier reflections is incredible. May I ask what kind of vantage point or approach you you used to capture it? I've never seen anything like this reflection.

15. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    My take on the topic.

This one was yesterday. Enjoyed a nice margarita. Moments after that glass was cleaned and I was somewhere else.

8117850866_4d7d017d6d_b.
    End of a day. by danska8, on Flickr

It was raining in Las Vegas, a place it rarely rains. It was the night of a combined bachelor party also. Of course I'm from Seattle and it hadn't rained there in over two months.

8091734681_166b1044dc_b.
    Vegas in the Rain by danska8, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  16. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not a critique of the photo ... the high tension power just shows how ugly modernity can be even compared to ruins of a bygone era.

The timeless gift of the rainbow contrasted to the transient nature of once solid rock and the stark ugly modernity encroaching across the landscape ... hard to plan that kind of shot. Photography happens - good thing a camera was at hand!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Two great shots, each unique and powerful. Thanks for posting

• Like Like x 1
  18. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    But I do need all the comments and critiques I could get, since I'm such a noob coming from point-n-shoot just months ago! :) I'll have to pay better attention to these things in the future...

Thanks, Rob!

19. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    2nd Entry: Life is too short

my second take on the subject ...

in a way, life comes and go so fast. so, as the saying goes: "Life is too short" :biggrin:

8068958082_4da3a8516f_b.

• Like Like x 4
  20. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I agree. Wouldn't it suck if life only lasted a single day? As they say, Carpe diem!